Rear LED turn signal upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 01:32 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
The iJDMTOY ones do have a resistor in the form of a decoder like this:

You still need to put that box somewhere. I still need to open the tail light assembly to see if anything can fit in there.
They have a different bulb that has a built-in resistor and not an external box-

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Resistor...0-02x-cree.htm
Old 01-20-16, 02:35 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Putt
They have a different bulb that has a built-in resistor and not an external box-

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Resistor...0-02x-cree.htm
If you read the description carefully, it says:

"The wire is used to connect to decoder in order to bypass the on board computer check. These LED bulbs not only will be completely error free, but also resolve the hyper flash issue. Here is a YouTube video showing you how to install this product, please take a look. Remember the wire connects to the decoder is very thin, so twist slowly and gently."
The LEDs you linked comes with decoders in the package.
Old 01-20-16, 03:13 AM
1Putt
Advanced

If you read the description carefully, it says:

The LEDs you linked comes with decoders in the package.
No the LED's I linked do not come with decoders and do not need them. The description you reference above is from the FAQ section and for some reason is for another bulb and not related to this particular LED bulb. The Youtube vid is not the bulb I am talking about

I have the bulbs in the link currently installed in my 2008 LS460 front turn signals, no decoders, etc. and no hyperflashing. I just bought another 2 sets to replace the front and rear turn signals in our 2016 NX200t. Will update again when they come in
Old 01-20-16, 04:59 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

No the LED's I linked do not come with decoders and do not need them. The description you reference above is from the FAQ section and for some reason is for another bulb and not related to this particular LED bulb. The Youtube vid is not the bulb I am talking about

I have the bulbs in the link currently installed in my 2008 LS460 front turn signals, no decoders, etc. and no hyperflashing. I just bought another 2 sets to replace the front and rear turn signals in our 2016 NX200t. Will update again when they come in
Oh I see. Would you please kindly let me know when you install them in your NX 200t please?
Old 01-20-16, 07:33 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a bulb from ijdmtoy before, and it was advertised as "no resistor required"... but when it arrived, there was something they called a "driver" that had to be installed as well. I don't know why LED's need "drivers" or "ballasts" but I reckon it IS a resistor, but just calling it something else just so they can claim "no resistor required"...
>
Old 01-20-16, 07:37 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

They also called it a "decoder" to resolve hyperflash issues. How do you "decode" something when its only connection to the car is through a +ve and -ve wire? Sigh...
Old 01-20-16, 09:01 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by legrunt
I bought a bulb from ijdmtoy before, and it was advertised as "no resistor required"... but when it arrived, there was something they called a "driver" that had to be installed as well. I don't know why LED's need "drivers" or "ballasts" but I reckon it IS a resistor, but just calling it something else just so they can claim "no resistor required"...
>
LEDs do require a driver, because they need to have a stable voltage and current to operate properly.

But in this case it is just a resistor packaged nicely for plug-and-play.

That being said, these "drivers" run much cooler than the metal resistors that you need to splice in and is 100% reversible. The only issue with us is that there in no space in the light housing to put these things (apparently, as I haven't opened mine yet).
Old 01-23-16, 06:57 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I e-mail IJDMTOY and this is what they said:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting iJDMTOY.

We do have a LED light T20 with a built in resistor you can check it out at, http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Resistor...0-02x-cree.htm

This LED bulb (3.25" or 3.1") is two times longer than the stock bulb. In order to install this LED bulb, please make sure you measure your turn signal lamp housing as it needs to be deep enough with enough clearance space in the back.

We do offer shipping to Australia, once you have fill out your shipping information at the check out you will receive different shipping method and shipping rates.
Now the shipping to Australia is crazy expensive, it starts at around US$30 just for shipping.

My other concern is if these bulbs will fit as the representative from IJDMTOY said they are longer.

1Putt, when you get these, please do reply back. I would love to get these for my NX.
Old 01-23-16, 07:04 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

In the referenced link, there are two bulbs (3156 andr 7440). The first one is 3.25" long and the second is 3.1" long. Which bulb is for the NX?
Old 01-23-16, 07:06 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
In the referenced link, there are two bulbs (3156 andr 7440). The first one is 3.25" long and the second is 3.1" long. Which bulb is for the NX?
The NX uses T20/7440. The LED replacement for T20 is 3.1 inches. On the website it says:

- This LED bulb 3156 (3.25") will replace the original bulb size 3047 3057 3155 3157 3357 3454 3457A 3757 4057 4114 4157 3156 W21/5W 3157A 3157NA 3156A 3156NA

- This LED bulb 7440 (3.10") will replace the original bulb size 7441 7444 7440A 992 W21W used for the single filament purpose for turn signal light only
Old 01-23-16, 07:10 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The NX uses T20/7440. The LED replacement for T20 is 3.1 inches.
Since I've removed the rear turn signal exoskeleton assembly twice already, I can do it in my sleep. I'm tempted to remove it again to measure the clearance. If these LEDs will fit, I'll am seriously considering buying them.
Old 01-23-16, 07:14 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Since I've removed the rear turn signal exoskeleton assembly twice already, I can do it in my sleep. I'm tempted to remove it again to measure the clearance. If these LEDs will fit, I'll am seriously considering buying them.
Haha well I hope you can report back!

Is 3.1 inches (7.8 something centimetres) the entire length of the bulb including the base? I am assuming they are measuring the whole LED bulb from top to bottom and not just the top bit.

I tried looking in the reflector. It looks like there might be enough clearance, but there is a black plastic which I can't be sure of.

I'm sure these work, they guys have tried it on their IS350 for a year and they work completely fine.
Old 01-24-16, 02:27 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Yes, the only issue is whether there's enough clearance in the NX tails for the ijdmtoy LEDs. I just got mine, so hopefully will try replacing in the next week
Old 01-24-16, 03:03 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Yes, the only issue is whether there's enough clearance in the NX tails for the ijdmtoy LEDs. I just got mine, so hopefully will try replacing in the next week
Cool. Hope it goes all well for you so I can also get them too

Please report on the light quality and spread.
Old 02-14-16, 01:10 AM
1Putt
Advanced

OK fellas, I finally installed the iJDMtoy led bulbs (w/ built in resistor). It fits in the housing no problem depth-wise. These things are some serious honkers

All is fine so far, no hyperflashing. Not that I was expecting any. Looks great and very strong light emission

Worth the buy. See one of my earlier posts for the website link to the bulb

Quick Reply: Rear LED turn signal upgrade