NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Gear Shift Problems With NX

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 06:27 AM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Shift Problems With NX

Alright is it just my car or do all cars have a problem with the gear shift. I have been noticing a "metallic catch" when I shift the gear from Park to Reverse. Once you reach reverse then it is smoother,

This metallic catch some times severely impedes shifting the gear and I have to struggle to get from Park to Reverse. Some times it is not so bad but it is NEVER smooth.

I took it to the dealer, after driving a Corolla which has the same style of gear shift [and this was smooth] last week. Initially I ignored it because I came from a BMW which has buttons instead of manual shifting of gears so I thought I have to get used to shifting gears with Lexus.

The technician and I also tried a brand new NX in the show room and this also had this funny "metallic catch-restriction" when shifting from Park to Reverse.

So he is going to write it up to Lexus.

Any one else having the same issue?
Old 04-30-15, 07:31 PM
Naren
Driver School Candidate

Hi
I am also facing same problem, I went to dealer they said in all lexus models it is hard to when move park to reverse ,

Last edited by Naren; 04-30-15 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-01-15, 08:23 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think this is much of an issue, perhaps just getting use to it will get better. My Highlander did the same thing, and I think it is pretty normal going from Park in other vehicles as well.
Old 05-01-15, 10:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mean how you need to move the stick to the right in order to get out of park?
Old 05-01-15, 10:59 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Do you mean how you need to move the stick to the right in order to get out of park?
I had the same question. I've had other cars that functioned the same way, so simply not an issue for me.
Old 05-01-15, 07:39 PM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about the "metallic catch", I'll try to notice next drive, but the shifting mechanism is not as smooth as I expected. It definitely has some clunkiness to it. The gearshift lever almost seems a little flimsy loose feeling in comparison to the force needed. It one of the few negative, slightly, things I've noticed.

I have been positively surprised by numerous features and touches. The only other negative off the top of my head is the power lift gate. While I appreciate it in our van, its somehow been more useful there, I would easily trade back to a manual lift gate in the NX for my $500 back.
Old 05-01-15, 07:41 PM
rocdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Sticky Lexus Gear Shift

@swacer...

This is not normal shifting behaviour. The gear shift does not move smoothly and sticks. Some times you have to try several times to shift to gear from park, other times it is not bad but still feels that there is an obstruction.

Initially I ignored it. But after driving a Corolla which has similar shifting mechanism, I was able to see the difference.

@Athiker
I agree the tail gate is so slow to open, takes for ever.
Old 05-02-15, 06:59 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rocdude
@swacer...

This is not normal shifting behaviour. The gear shift does not move smoothly and sticks. Some times you have to try several times to shift to gear from park, other times it is not bad but still feels that there is an obstruction.

Initially I ignored it. But after driving a Corolla which has similar shifting mechanism, I was able to see the difference.

@Athiker
I agree the tail gate is so slow to open, takes for ever.
Good luck with the gear shift. I don't seem to have that. It is a little harder going to reverse, but nothing like you are describing, and feels the same as my Highlander did.
You guys made me feel better about not getting the power lift gate...that and the Pre Collision were the only features I didn't get. I told someone the other day that I missed having the power lift gate as I had on the Highlander. I have a friend who just got a new Subaru Outback , and they don't like the power lift gate either LOL Must be something in the air LOL
Don't miss the Highlander at all....love the NX !!
Old 05-18-15, 05:22 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I previously had a Venza that too had somewhat of a rough transition from Park to Reverse but could mitigate that by letting the vehicle roll until it was held in place by the parking brake in Neutral before parking. With the NX, even manually applying the parking brake before parking doesn't always mitigate the rough shifting. It's odd but might just be inherent in the transmission design...

My '15 IS350 AWD is very smooth and not like this at all, even when I don't use the parking brake.
Old 06-11-15, 05:34 PM
Bryan1399
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gear Shift Problems with NX

Hi Rocdude,

I am Bryan from Malaysia owned a NX for 3 months as you facing the same annoying problem. Called up the salesman and service technician on this issue, they told me it is normal for NX model. They told me you have to live with this issue. I can't accept this. My level of frustration is not less than you because my NX is very very very (3x) expensive than you in my place.

I do views some comments from RX owner having same issue with this Gate type of auto transmission gear box. I have do my own study and founds:
1.) There is a Parking Paw to lock the gear when we shift the gear to Park, P.
2.) Parking Paw need time to synchronized at correct speed in order to engaging Park Gear, P.
3.) Parking Paw must be properly lock into position during shift gear to Park (P) for ensure your next shift-out from P to be smooth. If not, you will facing very hard to shift out from P and sometimes with loud "metal colloid noise" with forced shifting.

I have practise the below gear shifting to P and solve/eliminate this problem.
Method for shift gear to Park while foot brake depress, P (at incline/flat/decline road surface): See the attached layout.

Holding timing at the "yellow" point in the attached layout is critical for the Parking Paw to lock properly into position. You may look for your own best timing. My experiences 2 to 3 second is the best. Now, I do have easy/smooth shift out from P to R even during engine cold start in the morning as some RX/Toyota owner complains.

Hope this can help you as well. NX is a good car indeed as long as we get rid of this gear shifting issue.

Regards,

Bryan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NX Gear shift to P.pdf (28.9 KB, 522 views)
The following users liked this post:
Jaclyn (12-27-16)
Old 06-15-15, 06:00 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

What I have found also helps is allowing the electronic parking brake to engage/disengage before release the foot brake.
Old 06-17-15, 03:13 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I don't seem to have that. It is a little harder going to reverse, but nothing like you are describing, and feels the same as my Highlander did.
You guys made me feel better about not getting the power lift gate...that and the Pre Collision were the only features I didn't get. I told someone the other day that I missed having the power lift gate as I had on the Highlander. I have a friend who just got a new Subaru Outback , and they don't like the power lift gate either LOL Must be something in the air LOL
Don't miss the Highlander at all....love the NX !!
I agree about the shifting. We found that we were moving the gear shifter too quickly. When we slowed down the motion slightly, it worked perfectly...and still works perfectly each time. I agree, though, there is a little hitch in its gitty-up, but nothing too upsetting at all. Again, we adjusted to what it likes instead of the other way around. Works perfect now.

As for the power lift gate...WE LOVE OURS. Maybe its because its a first time thing for us...we've never had one before, but we like it! It could speed up about a second or two, but other than that we love the novelty.
Originally Posted by computerwi
What I have found also helps is allowing the electronic parking brake to engage/disengage before release the foot brake.
This also help a lot!
Old 08-06-15, 04:28 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
Great tip!! It does help a lot!! Thanks ..
Old 08-06-15, 08:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Computerwi, nice tip as it does help smooth out the shift from P the next time.
Old 08-06-15, 02:17 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GlenK
Great tip!! It does help a lot!! Thanks ..
Yes it takes a second for the electronic parking brake to engage/disengage after you shift to and from Park.

Also, good to see another Edmontonian on the board

Quick Reply: Gear Shift Problems With NX