nx200t vs subaru forester turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 04:21 AM
wazzzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile nx200t vs subaru forester turbo

Hello good day!

nx200t is a very interesting comparison with forester turbo, i haven't driven a nx , im currently using fxt , how does it compare ? handling and power? awd?

nx has a higher rating in hp and torque but the weight of nx is heavier than fxt . any inputs between the 2 ?

thank you
Old 05-10-15, 02:17 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not sure this is a good comparison as they are very different...Lexus built this engine as stated at the end of this article. This is a great read about the Lexus engine in the NX 200t
Lexus 2.0-Liter Engine Turbocharger Details
Turbochargers compress the intake charge to aid in combustion. The twin-scroll turbocharger on the Lexus 2015 NX 200t is different in many key ways from competitors’ turbos. The first unique aspect is that Lexus is making its own turbo. Most automakers don’t make turbos. They source them from companies outside. This slows development; means automakers are fitting a standard part to their engine, rather than making it a custom fit, and the quality program now involves two corporations. Lexus takes ownership of this turbo and it was designed entirely in-house by Lexus and manufactured in the Miyoshi plant. Lexus controls its turbocharger from raw material processing to installation in its vehicle.
Most automakers are using twin scroll turbos now with aim of reducing complexity (compared to twin turbos), space, and of course turbo-lag. Lexus’ design focused on not just power, but also fuel efficiency and emissions. Lexus and Toyota live and die by QDR, quality, durability, and reliability. By making this turbocharger themselves Lexus controls its own QDR destiny.
Lexus’ new turbo design has a focus on reduced friction, efficiency optimized turbine blades, and a reduction in noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). This focus on reduced NVH is apparent when one stands outside the car while it runs. The engine is silent. Stand next a BMW 2.0 liter turbo, such as that in the BMW X3 28i and you will immediately sense the difference in Lexus’ reduced NVH.
Lexus’ turbo impeller is forged to near its final shape which helps control distortion. The impeller wheel is electron beam welded to continue this attention to dimensional accuracy. The turbo housing itself is a new cast-steel material with reduced nickel content Lexus says helps the casing deal with and resist heat distortion and wear. Lexus 2.0 Turbo Intercooler Details
Intercoolers remove heat from the compression of the air by the turbo and aid in combustion. A cooler air intake charge is more dense, and thus has more oxygen for combustion (PV=nRT). Lexus mounted its intercooler downstream of the turbo (of course), behind the engine and low in the engine bay. This has many advantages including lower center of gravity (radiators are heavy) and to move the weight back toward the centerline of the vehicle.
Lexus Cam and Valvetrain Details
Lexus uses an ultra-lightweight valvetrain with sodium filled valves. The variable valve timing (VVT) system now used by Lexus is called VVT-iW. The i stands for intelligent, and the W stands for wide. The upshot of the new system is that it operates over a wider segment of the intake timing. The system can advance and retard timing so much that the engine actually operates at times in the Otto cycle, and at times in the Atkinson cycle. Say goodbye to the debate over whether to use Otto (more power overall) or Atkinson (better fuel efficiency in some circumstances).
Lexus Exhaust Manifold Details
The Lexus exhaust manifold is a 4-pipe to 2-pipe to 1-pipe system that is integrated directly into the cylinder head. Lexus uses engine coolant to remove heat from this critical part to prolong life. It also prolongs the range that the engine can be operated in with the optimum air-fuel ratio. Lexus designed the exhaust manifold to work with the turbocharger to reduce exhaust gas pulsing.
Lexus 2.0 Turbo Engine Performance Specifications
In its current form, the new Lexus engine in the NX 200t has a 10:1 compression ratio. It produces a maximum of 235 horsepower through the full range of 4,800 RPM to 5,600 RPM. It also produces 258 lb-ft of torque from a very low 1,650 RPM all the way up to 4,000 RPM. This means that in normal driving the engine uses its peak torque all the time. It also means that the engine has a broad plateau of power at the high end when drivers need power for passing, or merging, or just for fun.
The approximately 4,000 pound NX 200t can accelerate in AWD form to 60 MPH from 0 in just 7 seconds. That is very competitive in the class and will make this a hot engine when used in the Lexus IS 200t. Lexus does not have official fuel economy numbers yet. The company is predicting that the NX 200t will match the fuel efficiency of the BMW X3 without the need for an annoying stop-start system, and without the need for the expensive “Efficient Dynamics” which uses brake energy regeneration to power the electrical system. Lexus can always add these systems later to improve fuel economy if it chooses. Lexus is projecting that the all-weather drive NX 200t will test out at 21 City, 28 Highway, and 24 MPG overall.
Driving the 2015 Lexus NX 200t Turbo
Driving the crossover by Lexus with this engine reveals its refinement. As we mentioned earlier, the lack of any noise is impressive. The engine revs smoothly, and turbo lag is not apparent. In normal starting and cruising one never hears or feels any “turbo sensation.” There is no dead spot at low RPMs. Most importantly, the engine not does not roar to life at 2500 RPMs in the way that many poorly designed turbocharged engines do. Rather, it feels like a small in-line 6-cylinder. Is there a higher compliment?
Hammer the throttle and the engine does begin to produce power immediately, it builds linearly to about 4,500 RPM and then the VVT-iW, variable valve timing system does seem noticeable. This is a very Lexus-like and Toyota-like feeling. I own two V6 Lexus/Toyota engines, and both do this. If one uses the transmission (paddle shifters or the gear selector in M) to start off in the higher ranges, say above 3,500 RPM and then floors the accelerator, from the high 3,000 RPMs to redline the engine is strong.
The sounds the engine makes under hard acceleration are all enjoyable to hear. The Active Sound Control in some models is a nice enhancement to the sounds. Are you not a fan of these systems? It turns off, and it is always off when in Eco mode.
Final Thoughts on the 2015 Lexus NX Turbo Engine
Having driven, heard, and seen the new Lexus turbocharged 2.0-liter engine we now know why Lexus waited so long to introduce it. It is one of the quietest, most fuel efficient engines of its type, and it is made entirely by Lexus which means that its quality, durability, and reliability will be unrivaled. Look for it to be the mainstay of the Toyota/Lexus line for the next decade or more.

Old 05-11-15, 07:00 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

I used to own a 2009 Forester XT SH5 with a stage 1 tune ~200whp, before moving on to the CT200h and eventually, NX200t.

As you mentioned that the NX200t's HP figures are higher than the FXT, I assume you have the SH5 as well (224hp here in the Philippines), not the newer SJ# one (250+hp here in the Philippines).

Compared to the SH5 FXT, the NX200t is definitely faster, with the brisk-shifting (I wouldn't say quick, but it feels faster than all the 7G-TRONICs we've owned) playing a big role by keeping it constantly in the power range. Contrast this with the 4E-AT/E-4AT of the SH5, which was sluggish at best. Additionally, having the 6AT paired with an engine that can run on Atkinson cycle returns excellent fuel economy (for a 2.0T) for the NXt.

With the SJ# FXT, Subaru actually does a great job with its CVT transmission, keeping the RPM pinned to the ideal point while accelerating flat out. This eliminates dips in power between shifts and returns fast, though hard to notice (CVT), acceleration. Faster than the NX on a straight line, I would say. It's hard to imagine the Subaru CVT shifting through its 8 artificial speeds in S# faster than the NXt does through its 6, though. In this regard, the NX might return a more fun drive through twisties.

The 0-60 time of the NX is 6.9s, and the SJ FXT's 6.5, if memory serves me right. Majority of the NX's time is from the engine getting up to the 3k-5.5k RPM happy range. Once you get there, it feels faster than a 6.9s car. Contrast this with the SJ's CVT, where it feels slower than a 6.5s car due to RPM being pinned to one point.

As it's sold, the NX wins hands down in the handling department. I'm basing my impression on mine, which came equipped with AVS -- a feature that isn't an option in the US. If there is as much aftermarket suspension modifications with the SJ# as there was with the SH5, I'm sure this verdict could easily be tipped to the other side.

I cannot comment on AWD. The day we get snow here is the day the world ends.

Hope this helps!

Fun fact: Here in the Philippines, where Subaru is considered a semi-premium Volvo-like brand, these vehicles actually get cross-shopped, and Lexus owners are often Subaru owners as well.
Old 05-11-15, 07:13 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Nothing beats Subaru cargo space though. I remember my SH5 being able to load tour-sized golf bags laterally/parallel to the rear bumper. This isn't feasible with the NX. I'm not even sure if they'll fit diagonally; the rear seats would most probably have to be folded down.
Old 05-12-15, 02:22 AM
wazzzz
Driver School Candidate

thank you chezgk ,

yup i drive a sh5 you got it right, because on paper the sh5 should be faster than the nx200t , but as you said in the real world nx200t is better than sh5 ,

i also felt nx200t is alot smaller cabin space than sh5 or maybe just the feel =)

thank you for your inputs, =)
Old 05-12-15, 02:30 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wazzzz
thank you chezgk ,

yup i drive a sh5 you got it right, because on paper the sh5 should be faster than the nx200t , but as you said in the real world nx200t is better than sh5 ,

i also felt nx200t is alot smaller cabin space than sh5 or maybe just the feel =)

thank you for your inputs, =)
You're welcome.

Additionally, on the first and second rows, you will feel that the cabin space is smaller due to the thick and high centre console, thick door panels, etc. Add to this the space taken by creases and flares in the bodywork and you get something that feels smaller/narrower than its dimensions on paper.

When it comes to practicality and versatility, you can't really go wrong with Subaru, to be honest.

EDIT: I didn't notice you are from Manila as well. The NX200t F-Sport, as Lexus Manila, Inc. spec'd it here, is a fantastic deal.

EDIT EDIT: Now that this is relatable information, the NX200t with AVS in S+ capably tailed a Kawasaki Ninja through the curves of Sierra Madre/Tanay. Granted, the biker was not at 100%, though heavily leaning on corners, this still speaks volumes about the former's handling capability.

Last edited by chezgk; 05-12-15 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-12-15, 04:12 AM
wazzzz
Driver School Candidate

yup im from manila also , really ? then the handling and balance of nx is really good,

i've driven then fxt into those twisties also ,but i doubt it can keep up with a ninja, i was pushing it already while trailing a subaru sti

just thinking about nx200t not the fsport, i think the 450k difference is not worth it, actually i felt that the is350 is more worth it with the 305hp =)
Old 05-12-15, 06:18 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wazzzz
yup im from manila also , really ? then the handling and balance of nx is really good,

i've driven then fxt into those twisties also ,but i doubt it can keep up with a ninja, i was pushing it already while trailing a subaru sti

just thinking about nx200t not the fsport, i think the 450k difference is not worth it, actually i felt that the is350 is more worth it with the 305hp =)
I'm sure the Ninja wasn't pushing it, probably just around 70%, but even then, I'm more than happy with the way the NX handled, a way that was all but a dream for my stock-suspension former SH5.

The IS350 in F-Sport guise at 3.0M is definitely better bang-for-buck, provided you have no need for the NX's road clearance. What I meant with the NX200t F-Sport being a steal was in comparison to its German rivals, with a similarly equipped GLK/X3 costing at least 30% more. We have trade agreements with Japan to thank for this. I think a liveable X1 can be had for the same price as the NXt F-Sport.

I find the 450k BARELY worth it, with justification mostly credited to AVS, tri-LED lamps, and the air-conditioned bucket seats.

Hope this helped!

PS: Are you a member of Subaru Society PH?

Last edited by chezgk; 05-12-15 at 06:22 AM. Reason: grammar, probably still imperfect
Old 05-12-15, 07:28 AM
Lexinator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk
Nothing beats Subaru cargo space though. I remember my SH5 being able to load tour-sized golf bags laterally/parallel to the rear bumper. This isn't feasible with the NX. I'm not even sure if they'll fit diagonally; the rear seats would most probably have to be folded down.
Lexus advertises that you can fit 4 golf bags across in the cargo space. Not diagonally either. Are tour sized bags larger than "regular" golf bags? Sorry, I am golf ignorant.
Old 05-12-15, 08:28 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexinator
Lexus advertises that you can fit 4 golf bags across in the cargo space. Not diagonally either. Are tour sized bags larger than "regular" golf bags? Sorry, I am golf ignorant.
Tour sized bags are usually fatter and taller because of shoe pockets, drink pockets, etc.

Tour-size

Regular
Old 05-12-15, 06:35 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The cargo space has been discussed at length in the NX forums here. 4 cart bags can fit horizontally in the NX. Here are photos from a video showing it and measurements done by Corrado.

Old 05-16-15, 06:11 PM
wazzzz
Driver School Candidate

hello im part of the fb group but not so active=)

thank you again for your inputs appreciate it

I'm sure the Ninja wasn't pushing it, probably just around 70%, but even then, I'm more than happy with the way the NX handled, a way that was all but a dream for my stock-suspension former SH5.

The IS350 in F-Sport guise at 3.0M is definitely better bang-for-buck, provided you have no need for the NX's road clearance. What I meant with the NX200t F-Sport being a steal was in comparison to its German rivals, with a similarly equipped GLK/X3 costing at least 30% more. We have trade agreements with Japan to thank for this. I think a liveable X1 can be had for the same price as the NXt F-Sport.

I find the 450k BARELY worth it, with justification mostly credited to AVS, tri-LED lamps, and the air-conditioned bucket seats.

Hope this helped!

PS: Are you a member of Subaru Society PH?