NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2015 NX Fsport seat issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 10:05 PM
2015NXPryl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 NX Fsport seat issues

hI have a lovely NX 200t Fsport and my driver's seat bottom cushion has this lovely "creasing" at the front of my seat. This happened 12 days after owning my car. I have since taken it to my local dealership and had it looked at by their Customer Relations manager and a Lexus Factory Rep. After initial review, I was told that this was considered consistent with the design of the seat. I was instructed to call the toll free number and deal with a customer rep from Lexus. I was notified on Friday (May 8) that my seat cushion will be replaced by Lexus, because it is not normal for the cushion to "breakdown".

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 05-11-15, 02:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting. That looks like something that happens when your seat is really hot (from sitting out in the sun) and then you sit on it. The material looks to have "folded" over.
Old 05-11-15, 12:13 PM
2015NXPryl
Driver School Candidate

It doesn't come across really well but the parts that have the crease...the cushion underneath is "crushed". The spots are right underneath the backs of my knees and I can feel the ridges.
Old 05-11-15, 05:19 PM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My non F-sport passenger seat is doing the same thing, on the sides. I noticed it happening on the seat after my co-worker sits in it - he's a bit on the heavy side. I'm curious to see if it will smooth back out.
Old 05-11-15, 05:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

To a lesser degree than yours shown, I have that on my almost 2-year-old IS (below pic) and always felt it was normal. The good news is it doesn't get worse. The bad news is, even if Lexus changes your cushion, expect the creasing to return as it's not a manufacturing issue but a design/materials issue IMO.

I say that because the NX is showing a similar crease though less pronounced because of lessons learned from the IS. So as a tip, we have the seat lowered as much as possible to minimize the legs rubbing and pressing down on the edge, but still in a position that is comfortable. I bet the taller folks 6ft+ will have the least issues while the shorter ones (i'm 5'9", wife 5'6") will experience more creasing. For the passenger seat, keep the front edge of the bottom seat in its lowest position and if you have kids, keep them in the back seat. From experience, I saw the Nuluxe folded while my 9-year old daughter's bottom legs were pressing down on the cushion.

Good luck.

Old 05-11-15, 07:06 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

we need botox injections for the seats...
Old 05-12-15, 01:14 PM
2015NXPryl
Driver School Candidate

corrado - My husband tried to tell me it was normal but I just cannot bring myself to lower my expectations of what a seat cushion should be able to handle. I shouldn't have to adjust how I sit in my seat or who should sit in my seat because they manufacture or have poor design. As a note, I do sit with the front of my seat up. I love the Lexus brand and owned a 2004 IS300 until the purchase of my 2015 NX. My IS had no issues with any folding or cushion caving. The only normal thing was the leather having those micro-creases from sliding in and out of the car. So, if the creasing returns than I will be at my Lexus asking them to replace my cushion again.

Okay, I am off my soap box.

typocl - lol, we need Lexus to design seats that don't collapse or crease under little to no weight placed on them.

Last edited by 2015NXPryl; 05-12-15 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-12-15, 03:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015NXPryl
corrado - My husband tried to tell me it was normal but I just cannot bring myself to lower my expectations of what a seat cushion should be able to handle. I shouldn't have to adjust how I sit in my seat or who should sit in my seat because they manufacture or have poor design. As a note, I do sit with the front of my seat up. I love the Lexus brand and owned a 2004 IS300 until the purchase of my 2015 NX. My IS had no issues with any folding or cushion caving. The only normal thing was the leather having those micro-creases from sliding in and out of the car. So, if the creasing returns than I will be at my Lexus asking them to replace my cushion again.

Okay, I am off my soap box.

typocl - lol, we need Lexus to design seats that don't collapse or crease under little to no weight placed on them.

You have a good point on not lowering our expectations, especially on a premium vehicle, but just trying to set realistic expectations on the product based on my two vehicle experience with nearly identical seats.

On the bright side, take a look again at my IS seat. There's barely any other wrinkles or creases anywhere else on the bottom bolsters or cushion. No other leather car seat can compete with this.
Old 05-14-15, 05:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just found a crease on my passenger side seat. Its where the last sewing line is on the seat and its creased on the upper surface. I'm sorta confused how the seat has done this since someone has sat in that seat for a grand total of 1 hour since I got the car.

Its a little disappointing, but I know its from stretch. When I take the car in for the oil change at 1,500 miles, I will discuss this with them as I am not very happy about this. My Camaro has a similar issue, and given that its a Chevy and its leather, I was willing to forgive it. But this, on a Lexus, I will not deal with.
Old 05-17-15, 02:56 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a few creases as well, but they are on the side of my F Sport Seat where I get in and out....perhaps it is more normal there ?
Old 05-21-15, 12:05 PM
2015NXPryl
Driver School Candidate

Swacer and Ronn1 definitely point it out. I think it is ridiculous for any of it to be happening. I have a couple of weeks until the parts for the seat are here from Japan but if it happens again after they replace...I will be bringing it back in.
Old 05-21-15, 02:40 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems normal to me. Stick some hot towels in a bowl of water. Put in the microwave and lay them over the seat - itll remove the creases. Detailer trick lol

It seems like there is a lot of pressure on the front where the creases are - its bound to happen being soft padding and leather.

If it was harder you'd probably complain that the seats are uncomfortable or something - cant win lol
Old 05-21-15, 03:19 PM
2015NXPryl
Driver School Candidate

rayaans - If the seats were hard and uncomfortable I wouldn't buy the car. :P lol The cushion underneath is separated and the "leather" is also getting replaced. If it was "normal" than Lexus would not be replacing under warranty. I'm waiting for parts from Japan and they will be changing everything out beginning of June. As I stated before, seat cushions should be able to handle everyday in and out. It shouldn't be happening when I only had the car for 12 days.

Last edited by 2015NXPryl; 05-21-15 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 05:14 PM
drifter123
Rookie

So my build sheet shows I will get ventilated seats but my dealers current premium packaged F-sport’s don’t have them. Does anyone know if the F-sport has ventilated seats? Maybe my build sheet is wrong.
Old 05-21-15, 05:23 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drifter123
So my build sheet shows I will get ventilated seats but my dealers current premium packaged F-sport’s don’t have them. Does anyone know if the F-sport has ventilated seats? Maybe my build sheet is wrong.
I read that they added touch less rear hatch opening on the power rear hatch as of April production, wouldn't surprise me if they snuck in the ventilated seats too.

Quick Reply: 2015 NX Fsport seat issues