NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

RaceChip performance tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-15, 04:30 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone tuning the 2.0 turbo motor in the NX yet?
Old 08-06-15, 05:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr645
Is anyone tuning the 2.0 turbo motor in the NX yet?
Is a Toyota...ECU is locked.... My second post I believe stated that.
Old 08-06-15, 06:36 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

is the 200T tuned down by Toyota?

I believe a lot of the manufacturers tune down engines for various reasons:
- maximize MPG
- stifle top speed since the roads the vehicles drive on have speed limits
- maximize engine efficiency
- allow the same engine to be used across different models but with different output for differentiation

Since the IS200T and RC200T have similar performance output as the NX I am guessing that the engine is not tuned down or Toyota is using a similar tuning configuration across all 3 vehicles.

For BMW vehicles there are a lot of tuning chips that basically transform the x28 engine to perform like the x35 engine.

For Teslas we have heard of the Insane mode / Ludicrous mode
Old 08-06-15, 08:11 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wildeklave
is the 200T tuned down by Toyota?

I believe a lot of the manufacturers tune down engines for various reasons:
- maximize MPG
- stifle top speed since the roads the vehicles drive on have speed limits
- maximize engine efficiency
- allow the same engine to be used across different models but with different output for differentiation

Since the IS200T and RC200T have similar performance output as the NX I am guessing that the engine is not tuned down or Toyota is using a similar tuning configuration across all 3 vehicles.

For BMW vehicles there are a lot of tuning chips that basically transform the x28 engine to perform like the x35 engine.

For Teslas we have heard of the Insane mode / Ludicrous mode
To answer your question, yes, of course Toyota tuned the car down from the factory but not entirely for the reasons you've listed:

1. Yes, by turning the boost down and lowering power levels, yes, the car is more efficient on MPG.

2. However, that is not to be confused with efficiency. The motor is a very rich running motor. This guarantees cooler engine temps, but make the engine LESS efficient.

3. Detuning an engine will extend engine life. A motor pushed toward its limits will run hotter, make more power, and have a shorter life. Toyota would rather you sacrifice 50hp and have a car that last 200,000 miles with ease.

4. Toyota is giving same power numbers because they dont' want to cannibalize their own sales. If the RC turbo is getting 270hp and the IS turbo is getting 240hp, which will most people choose?

5. There is little concern about speed limits. Gears are what determines a cars speed more than the engine. My Camaro currently has 3.45 gears, which limit me to about 165mph, if I go to 3.23 gears, my same engine could do 185mph. Also, there are federal laws on speed limiters (limiter on my Camaro is 156mph before I had it removed), so car companies probably don't really care for the average family suv.

As for chips, they are hacks and blindly utilize factory components to make power. If you want performance done right, you tune the car.

Also, 328s are 230hp boosted inline 4s, while 335is are boosted inline 6s. Any person that says a chip can compensate either has no idea what they are talking about, or has a crazy butt dyno and no car sense.
Old 08-06-15, 08:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The NX as currently tuned is competitive with other 2.0t's in the segment (X3 and Q5) and the torque numbers compare favorably with the V6's (RDX and GLK) so Lexus is not at a disadvantage to potential buyers. The engine offers the flexibility to up the ante a bit if needed in the future.
Old 08-07-15, 05:12 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They have a tornado that goes into your air box it swirls and makes you 59 more hp on the butt dyno. You can get one that makes a whirling noise too.

Under warranty leave it alone.......
Old 08-07-15, 05:24 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom59

Under warranty leave it alone.......
Depends on the car I'm afraid hahahah
Old 08-07-15, 05:25 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The NX as currently tuned is competitive with other 2.0t's in the segment (X3 and Q5) and the torque numbers compare favorably with the V6's (RDX and GLK) so Lexus is not at a disadvantage to potential buyers. The engine offers the flexibility to up the ante a bit if needed in the future.
Sure, but on the other hand, its hard not to question how GM is getting 270hp out of their 2.0T Cadillacs. But then again, people want power...but then complain about having to pay for premium gas *rolling eyes*
Old 08-07-15, 05:53 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Sure, but on the other hand, its hard not to question how GM is getting 270hp out of their 2.0T Cadillacs. But then again, people want power...but then complain about having to pay for premium gas *rolling eyes*
Well, they complain to have to use premium gas and still not get the power compared to a GM. They also keep raving about how reliable the Lexus is, but don't associate that reliability with the 50 less HP compared to that GM. As an added bonus, that reliability also provides them an significant advantage on the resale value.

Everyone want the Lexus to have as much power as that BMW/MB/Audi/Caddy/Buick, and at a significant price advantage from the Germans at least. Nothing comes for free. If you can have only 3 of Luxury, Reliability, Power or Price. Lexus provides Luxury, Reliability and Price. The others give up at least one or even more of those attributes.
Old 08-07-15, 06:20 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

maybe 1 day Lexus will move to the model of BMW and Audi by offering 2 gas only engines. You have the 200T with 240ish HP and 260ish torque. Maybe you add a 250T / performance F Sport with around 300 HP and torque.
Old 08-07-15, 06:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Good point. It's not going to happen but it would be interesting to hear from the manufacturers their rational for setting the output of these engines And there are always the rumors floating around that some manufacturers underrate the horsepower and torque specs on their engines.
Old 08-07-15, 06:32 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

maybe 1 day Lexus will move to the model of BMW and Audi by offering 2 gas only engines. You have the 200T with 240ish HP and 260ish torque. Maybe you add a 250T / performance F Sport with around 300 HP and torque.
I hope Lexus never moves to any model like BMW or Audi. Because the cars will cost too much for what you get and be unreliable lol

250T would be a 2.5L Turbo, and it better be making more than 300 hp lol
Old 08-07-15, 06:35 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Well, they complain to have to use premium gas and still not get the power compared to a GM. They also keep raving about how reliable the Lexus is, but don't associate that reliability with the 50 less HP compared to that GM. As an added bonus, that reliability also provides them an significant advantage on the resale value.

Everyone want the Lexus to have as much power as that BMW/MB/Audi/Caddy/Buick, and at a significant price advantage from the Germans at least. Nothing comes for free. If you can have only 3 of Luxury, Reliability, Power or Price. Lexus provides Luxury, Reliability and Price. The others give up at least one or even more of those attributes.
You need premium due to compression ratio. You're down on power because of conservative boost tuning. There, now they know, no reason to complain lol

And you're right, with power comes issues. One will always follow the other.

As for the pair of 3, I'm not sure it applies to all. With Cadillac, you only get Power and Price, I've never seen a Cadillac I felt was "luxury".
Old 08-07-15, 06:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

As the NX is offered in more markets around the world, I would think the number of engine choices would increase to appeal to various regions, Just an uneducated guess though.
Old 08-07-15, 06:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I hope Lexus never moves to any model like BMW or Audi. Because the cars will cost too much for what you get and be unreliable lol

250T would be a 2.5L Turbo, and it better be making more than 300 hp lol
I think they already did with the NX.

Quick Reply: RaceChip performance tuning?