NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX F Sport Too much road feedback in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 11:19 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
The variety of tires is interesting. My NX F Sport's spec sheet said it came with Summer Tires. What we got where Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires. I looked them up and they are classified as All-season tires. Kinda disappointed because I was expecting summer tires as here in south Texas we will never see any snow. Also the tires where preset to 36psi. I'm gonna lower them to 33psi this weekend.
Nevermind... the tires I have are Bridgestone Dueler H/L 33 which are summer tires. I thought they where Dueler H/L Alenza.
Old 07-09-15, 04:56 PM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought here. Are you guys measuring your tire pressure using a traditional gauge as well as using the numbers from the Tpms info screen? I guess are the pressure readings from the Tpms reasonably accurate?
Old 07-09-15, 06:00 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
Just a thought here. Are you guys measuring your tire pressure using a traditional gauge as well as using the numbers from the Tpms info screen? I guess are the pressure readings from the Tpms reasonably accurate?
I adjuested mine recently to 33 psi using a brand new, not-cheapo gauge. The TPMS matched perfectly, both before and after the TPMS re-initialization.
Old 07-11-15, 04:29 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Update

Just wanted to update you guys but I went to the dealer and they actually swapped my geolanders for michelins.
Unfortunately the road feedback in the steering wheel is still there but only really noticeable at highway speeds.
Not sure why.
Also I find that my steering wheel is off a little bit. Asked the dealer to check alignment and said it was fine. I don't even think they checked.
Old 07-11-15, 05:09 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
Just wanted to update you guys but I went to the dealer and they actually swapped my geolanders for michelins.
Unfortunately the road feedback in the steering wheel is still there but only really noticeable at highway speeds.
Not sure why.
Also I find that my steering wheel is off a little bit. Asked the dealer to check alignment and said it was fine. I don't even think they checked.
Are the Michelins more quiet ?
Old 07-11-15, 07:22 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why.
I am curious... have you driven a non-f sport nx to compare? I wonder if you are feeling the suspension more than the tires? Maybe the ride of the standard NX would be more to your liking? Sorry if that was already considered, I didn't see anything mentioned about the suspension aspect.
Old 07-14-15, 07:26 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure why.
It might be the suspension set up because I just recently swapped the tires on my car and small road imperfections are still being communicated through the steering wheel. not alot but it's noticeable.

but the new tires have done wonders quieting the road noise and smoothing out large and medium bumps. plus i am noticing a nice bump in mpg. I sound like an ad but these tires are really good. I had them on my previous car and was equally impressed.
Old 07-14-15, 03:27 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
It might be the suspension set up because I just recently swapped the tires on my car and small road imperfections are still being communicated through the steering wheel. not alot but it's noticeable.

but the new tires have done wonders quieting the road noise and smoothing out large and medium bumps. plus i am noticing a nice bump in mpg. I sound like an ad but these tires are really good. I had them on my previous car and was equally impressed.
Actually the michelins are 100 times better in my opinion. They are soft on the road and I do not really hear any road noise unless the road is really messed up. Nice and quiet.
Also it turns out that you might be right. These little feedback vibrations might just be a by product of the suspension.
I did bring back to dealer to check the wheel balancing because one had 15 .5 oz weights on it. The dealer said they were balanced right from the factory but checked anyway. The right front with the 15 weights balanced at 0 on the road force machine. He showed me. Then they did the front left and found it was out of balance. Re balanced and much improved now. A lot smoother at highway speeds. Still road feedback but now minimal.
Just shows you that even the factory can mess up.
I'm still curious about the wheel with 15 weights. Tech said could be the tire is mounted on heavy spot for both tire and wheel. Said he's seen it plenty of times. Said if you rotate tire on the wheel and rebalance that most likely it would be Down to only a few weights.
Old 07-14-15, 07:18 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I also switched my Geolanders to Michelins (Latitude Tour HPs from Costco) and noticed an improvement in ride comfort. I also went to 17" Rav4 wheels, so the increased sidewall height is certainly responsible for some of the improvement as well. Selling my original 18" non-F sport wheels and tires. PM me if interested.
Old 07-15-15, 05:21 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Road Forced balance them.......the only way to balance a tire imho. (Hunter) I love feeling the road through my steering , numb steering is why Lexus went to the F-Sport. -http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/road_force_balancing

Lexus has an alignment check in the lobby of the service dept at least my dealer does they check alignment for most services.
The steering wheel being off has ZERO to do with the alignment. They can fix that in minutes. My guess is you need to let the truck settle into its suspension this takes a little time.
Old 07-15-15, 08:24 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Drtbk4ever
I checked the tires with 4 pencil type gauges plus a round gauge and the small pencil type from Lexus. The Lexus gauge read 3 pounds higher than the others. All the others were within a pound and matched the TPMS. My tires were all 37 and 38 pounds as well.
Old 08-04-15, 08:49 AM
NXJohnC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2 cents

My 200t came with Geolanders inflated cold at 37psi from dealer. I dropped them to 32. My tire gauge and the car's TPMS give the same reading. They go up to about 36 when driving on hot summer days. I don't want to spend more now on new tires, but I did read all the negative reviews on Geolanders. I'll see how they do this winter.