NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Pros/cons of purchasing in-state vs. out-of-state

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 07:21 PM
ACF156
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros/cons of purchasing in-state vs. out-of-state

My local dealer does not have the exact model that I am interested in. Can anyone speak to the pros/cons of purchasing in-state vs. out-of-state? I could see if the vehicle I am interested in could be transferred to my local dealer, but I'm assuming there would be an additional expense for that. I called the local Lexus rep this morning that I had met with a while back to discuss, but did not receive a phone call back....disappointing. Also, if I do not purchase from my local dealer, can I still use their loaner cars and other dealer benefits if I bring my car in for service? (Or are those benefits limited to those who purchase directly from that dealer?) What do you suggest?
Old 07-24-15, 08:20 PM
semco
Driver School Candidate

All of our cars are out-of-country, meaning I buy cars only in the US. The only one upside-down is you must spend some time for driving it back home. I do it in 7 days, buying car in MA and drive home to Calgary! However you save tons on money vs buying same model in Canada, the average savings is above $10K mostly. I don't mind driving even to Fl if I have to....
Old 07-24-15, 08:27 PM
ACF156
Driver School Candidate

Geez, if I could save $10K, I would be willing to drive a bit as well. Good for you!
Old 07-24-15, 10:04 PM
coldsoda
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I lived in MD I ended up buying a car in OH that gave me a better deal. I didn't pay any sales tax on the purchase to the state of OH, when I got back to MD had to go to the BMV and pay taxes when I registered the car. the MD BMV was the most pain-in-the-@$$ motor vehicle experience out of the three states I've lived, but overall I wouldnt hesitate to do it again if it was worth the $$ saved (or for the exact car I wanted). I say go for it!

your local dealer will still be happy to service your car and provide the loaner car if needed.
Old 07-27-15, 04:13 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've gotten several out of state vehicles if its a surrounding state they almost all will take care of everything for you. Several states away is -temp reg- drive it home register it and pay the piper.

I'll fly , drive or take the train to save a few g's. Then just drive it home , smiling all the way.....by the time you get home you are very familiar with whatever you chose.
Old 07-27-15, 10:34 AM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

I live in MD and bought my NX in Northern Virginia. There were more Lexus dealers in the MD area, but the VA dealer just had better prices, and the sales person kept in touch with me through my months of waiting for the right price for me. (Thanks, Todd Banks at Lindsay Lexus!) The other MD dealers really didn't follow up as well. They registered my tags for me and sent the tags via FEDEX when they came in.

Regarding service, I just got body side molding put on in the nearby MD dealer, and they welcomed me with open arms. It seems any of the nearby Lexus service centers would welcome my business, even though I didn't buy the car from them.
Old 07-27-15, 06:50 PM
semco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brendaman
I live in MD and bought my NX in Northern Virginia. There were more Lexus dealers in the MD area, but the VA dealer just had better prices, and the sales person kept in touch with me through my months of waiting for the right price for me. (Thanks, Todd Banks at Lindsay Lexus!) The other MD dealers really didn't follow up as well. They registered my tags for me and sent the tags via FEDEX when they came in.

Regarding service, I just got body side molding put on in the nearby MD dealer, and they welcomed me with open arms. It seems any of the nearby Lexus service centers would welcome my business, even though I didn't buy the car from them.
oh....did you add your purchasing price into thread about price range members pay for NX? I would be really interesting to follow your road as well with Lindsay Lexus....is it from Alexandria?
Old 07-27-15, 07:46 PM
ACF156
Driver School Candidate

Yes, Brendaman, would you mind sharing the details about your vehicle (MSRP, purchase price, options)?
Old 07-28-15, 09:24 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ACF156
My local dealer does not have the exact model that I am interested in. Can anyone speak to the pros/cons of purchasing in-state vs. out-of-state? I could see if the vehicle I am interested in could be transferred to my local dealer, but I'm assuming there would be an additional expense for that. I called the local Lexus rep this morning that I had met with a while back to discuss, but did not receive a phone call back....disappointing. Also, if I do not purchase from my local dealer, can I still use their loaner cars and other dealer benefits if I bring my car in for service? (Or are those benefits limited to those who purchase directly from that dealer?) What do you suggest?
My dealer didn't have what I wanted but they did a search, found what I wanted and swapped vehicles with the other dealer on the other side of the state(4 hours away). They had it shipped at no cost to me and it had front window tint installed which they didn't charge me for. So it was just like I bought from off the lot. I think you should contact your dealer again or another one near you, they should be happy to do a swap with another dealer. It will save you the hassle of driving out of state and doing all the paper work etc.
Old 07-28-15, 10:31 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buying out of state really just open you up to better deals on the purchase price of cars as well as cars with significantly different options based on geographic region. For example, when I bought my 2IS, NY has a TON, and i mean a TON 2IS AWD premium and sports packages (not to be confused with F-Sport) with no navigation. the more south I began to look, i found cars with Nav, more RWD over AWD cars etc. States like Cali I don't think you can easily purchase an AWD car there nice its mostly unnecessary

Tax is never a factor since you always have to pay the tax of your home state.
Old 07-30-15, 03:52 AM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by semco
oh....did you add your purchasing price into thread about price range members pay for NX? I would be really interesting to follow your road as well with Lindsay Lexus....is it from Alexandria?
Did you find my Price Paid post? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-lease-12.html

Yes, Lindsay Lexus is in Alexandria.
Old 07-30-15, 12:07 PM
semco
Driver School Candidate

Did you find my Price Paid post? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-lease-12.html

Yes, Lindsay Lexus is in Alexandria.
THANKS man, I do really appreciate it. Do you mind to share his phone just in case you kept it? I will definitely give him a shot. Guys who wanna buy it also, how about make some pool and make Todd happy with his commission at once?
Old 07-30-15, 12:19 PM
brendaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by semco
THANKS man, I do really appreciate it. Do you mind to share his phone just in case you kept it? I will definitely give him a shot. Guys who wanna buy it also, how about make some pool and make Todd happy with his commission at once?
Here's the contact info:

Todd Banks, Sales & Leasing Consultant , Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria
3410 King Street | Alexandria, VA 22302
888-344-1882 Direct | 703-671-4662 Fax
tbanks@lindsaylexus.com | http://www.lindsaylexus.com/
Old 07-30-15, 01:22 PM
semco
Driver School Candidate

Here's the contact info:

Todd Banks, Sales & Leasing Consultant , Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria
3410 King Street | Alexandria, VA 22302
888-344-1882 Direct | 703-671-4662 Fax
tbanks@lindsaylexus.com | http://www.lindsaylexus.com/
THANKS
Old 08-08-15, 11:58 AM
semco
Driver School Candidate

seems some states have different options, I can't get what I really want to. They sent me 3 quotations and non of them worked out....Need to check canadian dealers.