NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Bulb type in LEDs headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 07:50 PM
semco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb type in LEDs headlights?

Just really wondering, could you guys who has these LED headlights check what type of bulb/bulb size (h7, h11 etc....) used in the LED headlights for low and hi beams the US/Canada model?

Thanks
Old 07-29-15, 01:54 AM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by semco
Just really wondering, could you guys who has these LED headlights check what type of bulb/bulb size (h7, h11 etc....) used in the LED headlights for low and hi beams the US/Canada model?

Thanks
Hi. The LEDs are custom and not user-replaceable...
Old 07-29-15, 03:43 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^+1 You have 39 LEDs per housing. As they go out, your lights will become dimmer. Eventually, the entire housing will have to be replaced.
Old 07-29-15, 07:19 AM
semco
Driver School Candidate

thanks and it is too bad!
Old 07-29-15, 07:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Why is that too bad?

Those lights will run several hundred thousand hours before failure. You have a warranty that will replace anything, and if you keep the car long enough, who cares if you have to buy new headlights once in the car's life?
Old 07-29-15, 09:04 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Yea I agree with Swacer on this, what does it matter what kind of bulb they are and that you can't change it. What was your reasoning for wanting to do that any ways?

phil
Old 07-29-15, 11:16 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just for some clarification we are talking about the optional "Triple-Beam" LED headlights and not the standard "Single-Beam" LED headlight correct?
Old 07-29-15, 01:55 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Just for some clarification we are talking about the optional "Triple-Beam" LED headlights and not the standard "Single-Beam" LED headlight correct?
There's no difference fundamentally. The triple beam has 39 LEDs and the single beam has one main led like the IS cars. Neither case can you swap them and will need to replace the whole headlight.
Old 07-29-15, 06:14 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Swacer
^+1 You have 39 LEDs per housing. As they go out, your lights will become dimmer. Eventually, the entire housing will have to be replaced.
39?? Really? Wow, I never knew that.
When I stuck my face to the headlamps (with them off of course!) I swear I could only see one led per lens, and counting the lenses, I have 3 for low beam and 3 more for high beam, so I always thought I had only 6 high powered LEDs per headlight...

(not counting the DRLs of course)
Old 07-29-15, 07:56 PM
semco
Driver School Candidate

my point is driving for the past 15+ cars with HIDs I really don't like to get anything which will perform less than the HIDs. Main point I need to have light output long enough as HIDs produce on the road. If this will not a case, I will step back from any vehicle even I really like the style etc... Also, there is a chance of swapping the housing into HID`s or replacing bulbs/doing retro for the original housing. So my question was regarding if this new technology gives you a chance of doing that.

Buying a new set of HID headlights roughly can go from $1200 and up depending of the brand and model, so assuming for the L it would be around $2K at least....
Old 07-29-15, 08:56 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

my point is driving for the past 15+ cars with HIDs I really don't like to get anything which will perform less than the HIDs. Main point I need to have light output long enough as HIDs produce on the road. If this will not a case, I will step back from any vehicle even I really like the style etc... Also, there is a chance of swapping the housing into HID`s or replacing bulbs/doing retro for the original housing. So my question was regarding if this new technology gives you a chance of doing that.

Buying a new set of HID headlights roughly can go from $1200 and up depending of the brand and model, so assuming for the L it would be around $2K at least....
In my experience, these perform as good as, if not better than HIDs.

Also, LEDs do not flicker when they are turned on, do not require a cool down when turning on again after a brief shutdown, are more robust, last longer, consume less power....

And they just look so damn cool...
Old 07-29-15, 08:58 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by legrunt
In my experience, these perform as good as, if not better than HIDs.

Also, LEDs do not flicker when they are turned on, do not require a cool down when turning on again after a brief shutdown, are more robust, last longer, consume less power....

And they just look so damn cool...
Also, with regards to HIDs, if they are stuff that's been bought after market, they are usually crap. Focus point wrong, causing glare, color temperature off, takes at least 20-30 seconds to fully warm up to full output etc...
Old 07-30-15, 03:42 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Let me guess, you also have a CRT TV because those work and you don't wanna risk using a LCD or LED TV huh? Come on...technology moves on.

My Camaro has HIDs, the NX and IS have LEDs, and the HIDs are entirely subpar in comparison. I have 6000k HIDs in the Camaro and while the light is similar is color, the brightness and edge of the cutoffs are far superior with the LEDs. Futhermore, LEDs run cool, which means the age old HID issue of condensation inside the headlights is no longer an issue. My old genesis coupe and my Camaro have both required headlights to be replaced because HIDs chronically fog headlights.

As for swapping, I don't envision an ability to do that, nor would anyone ever want to. HIDs are 35W, with a very high current required in order to start the ignitor. LEDs are very low wattage and require next to no current to maintain on. Thus, your electricals would not be able to handle the load before blowing fuses.

Move forward with technology...

Originally Posted by legrunt
Also, with regards to HIDs, if they are stuff that's been bought after market, they are usually crap. Focus point wrong, causing glare, color temperature off, takes at least 20-30 seconds to fully warm up to full output etc...
Jeez, whose HIDs are you buying that would require 20-30 seconds to get to temp? Should be 3-5 seconds max.
Old 07-30-15, 05:47 PM
semco
Driver School Candidate

Im not sure why you heads are fogging up, mostly it would be due to the sealing gasket....mine for 10 ears never had any issues with that.

well, the new audi will use laser technology, because they admitted that LED is not good enough for driving. Also, I'm not that guy who runs in september to the apple store in order to be the first with new iPhone per say. I have old sony TV, which is wide and big, so 2 people needs to move it, and it works great for the last 27+ knock the wood..., and my fujitsu plasma died after 3 years of use, my 1 year old samsung LCD has already some issues....so making a point, I would say there is nothing wrong to be old-fashioned, and manufacturers built their products for life many years ago, now they want us to consume more and more often, so quality is not a main point...you know that, so why would you run for the high-end gadget with $$$$ sticker?