NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Changing your own oil, whats needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 07:07 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing your own oil, whats needed?

Are there any special tools required to change the oil on a Lexus, specifically on the NX? I have not gotten under the NX (300h) yet to take a look and this is our first Lexus, so just asking now. I won't need to do it for a while as we get the free 10K oil change still, but I want to be prepared for when I do need to do it. I don't want to pay almost $100 each time to change the oil when I can do that on my own.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 08-11-15, 07:15 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Only fun with changing your own oil is that if you have an engine issue, your dealership (depending on their flexibility) may attempt to say that it was your fault because they can't vouch for your ability to change the oil.

My feeling is always....if its under warranty, let them do it. Afterwards...all you.
Old 08-11-15, 07:28 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

I understand that opinion and don't disagree, but I have been changing oil on cars for about 20 years now, as you know it isn't hard but I do get your point.

I do know that we had a Volvo and I wouldn't do it on that car as it required a special tool to get a cap off to get to the oil filter and that tool was over $100. PLus with the Volvo we had 4 years of services including oil changes, so we never had to pay for one.

But, when they want to charge me $100 or more at Lexus for something I can do in 20-30 minutes and will only pay about $40 for I am willing to save that $60 ever few months, especially being out of work right now.

Thanks for you input though.

Phil
Old 08-12-15, 02:19 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philwojo
I understand that opinion and don't disagree, but I have been changing oil on cars for about 20 years now, as you know it isn't hard but I do get your point.

I do know that we had a Volvo and I wouldn't do it on that car as it required a special tool to get a cap off to get to the oil filter and that tool was over $100. PLus with the Volvo we had 4 years of services including oil changes, so we never had to pay for one.

But, when they want to charge me $100 or more at Lexus for something I can do in 20-30 minutes and will only pay about $40 for I am willing to save that $60 ever few months, especially being out of work right now.

Thanks for you input though.

Phil
They are Toyotas. That should answer your question
Old 08-12-15, 08:29 AM
phatm3
Driver

Originally Posted by optokki
Dont have my NX yet, but on my wife's 2010 Prius, I had to buy a Toyota specific sized oil filter socket to remove the filter housing, and the location is on the bottom of the engine.
Compared to the BMWs where the filter is on the top of the engine.
Old 08-12-15, 08:36 AM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

I also do my own oil changes and picked up the oil (0w20 Toyota Syn) as well as the filter a couple of weeks ago. To my surprise, for the filter and 6 litres came to under $50 CDN. The filter isn't your conventional oil filter but rather just the insert that goes into the built-in housing for it. I haven't gotten underneath the vehicle yet, but might do it this weekend. Not sure if there's a specific type of tool require to remove the housing cap or not.

As for the warranty, I always question the dealer about this when buying the vehicle and they just recommend I keep proof of purchases for oil and such... never had any issues with previous brands / manufacturers for this.

Last edited by DBCOM; 08-12-15 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-12-15, 09:08 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by optokki
Yea, that doesn't help at all, as I have a 2006 Prius and before the NX had a 2008 Camry Hybrid, didn't need anything special for either of those. Now from another poster it seems I might need a special tool to get the housing off to put in a filter insert, rather than a screw on filter like both of my older Toyota's had on them. That is why I was asking since I know some of the newer vehicles use this insert method, and I have not dealt with those yet.
Old 08-12-15, 02:16 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I changed the oil in my NX200T a short while ago. It used the same filter and filter socket that I used on the Venza (4 cylinder). I had to get the Toyota socket for it as the filter was so tight the generic sockets would only slip. For the filter, you first remove the round cap on the bottom of the filter housing using a 3/8 ratchet and extension. Then use the small plastic tool that comes with the filter to drain the housing. Next, use the filter wrench to remove the housing, clean it, change the filter and "O-ring", lube the "O-ring" and reinstall the housing. Change and lube the "O-ring" for the cap and reinstall it. Changing the oil is the same as everything else, pull the plug, drain the oil, reinstall the plug and replace the oil. I modified the tool that comes with the filter by adding a 12" piece of pvc tubing to it to use as a handle. Without that, it is very hard to press it into the filter housing to drain the filter oil.
Old 08-12-15, 02:19 PM
philwojo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by olgzr
I changed the oil in my NX200T a short while ago. It used the same filter and filter socket that I used on the Venza (4 cylinder). I had to get the Toyota socket for it as the filter was so tight the generic sockets would only slip. For the filter, you first remove the round cap on the bottom of the filter housing using a 3/8 ratchet and extension. Then use the small plastic tool that comes with the filter to drain the housing. Next, use the filter wrench to remove the housing, clean it, change the filter and "O-ring", lube the "O-ring" and reinstall the housing. Change and lube the "O-ring" for the cap and reinstall it. Changing the oil is the same as everything else, pull the plug, drain the oil, reinstall the plug and replace the oil. I modified the tool that comes with the filter by adding a 12" piece of pvc tubing to it to use as a handle. Without that, it is very hard to press it into the filter housing to drain the filter oil.
Thanks for that info, that is exactly what I was looking for. Now I wonder how much, if any, difference there is between a 200T and the 300h we have, I will post when I find out, though that won't be for a while I know that.

Phil
Old 08-12-15, 02:30 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for that info, that is exactly what I was looking for. Now I wonder how much, if any, difference there is between a 200T and the 300h we have, I will post when I find out, though that won't be for a while I know that.

Phil
Call the dealers parts department and see if you use p/n 04152-YZZA1 filter. If you use the same filter, I'm sure the procedure will be the same. Do be careful and pull the engine oil pan plug, not the transmission plug. I've read on other forums of people pulling the wrong plug and not understanding why the oil is red. Some of those threads are very amusing as long as you are not the one pulling the wrong plug!
Old 08-12-15, 07:05 PM
phatm3
Driver

Originally Posted by olgzr
Call the dealers parts department and see if you use p/n 04152-YZZA1 filter. If you use the same filter, I'm sure the procedure will be the same. Do be careful and pull the engine oil pan plug, not the transmission plug. I've read on other forums of people pulling the wrong plug and not understanding why the oil is red. Some of those threads are very amusing as long as you are not the one pulling the wrong plug!
i

Yikes! If you're pulling the tranny plug vice the engine oil plug, you have no business underneath there. Leave it to the pros LOL
Old 08-13-15, 01:17 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Yea, that doesn't help at all, as I have a 2006 Prius and before the NX had a 2008 Camry Hybrid, didn't need anything special for either of those. Now from another poster it seems I might need a special tool to get the housing off to put in a filter insert, rather than a screw on filter like both of my older Toyota's had on them. That is why I was asking since I know some of the newer vehicles use this insert method, and I have not dealt with those yet.
Good to know. I've worked on several different Toyota models in the past: Corolla, Camry, Highlander, Previa, Supra, etc and never needed special tools.
Old 08-13-15, 04:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, if you pull the plug on the tranny, that isn't a bad thing. Just gives you a chance to swap out the crap its broke in with and replace with new. Could arguably do the same with the diffs as well.
Old 08-13-15, 03:39 PM
phatm3
Driver

Amazon.com: ABN Toyota / Lexus Compatible 4 Cylinder Oil Filter Wrench: Automotive Amazon.com: ABN Toyota / Lexus Compatible 4 Cylinder Oil Filter Wrench: Automotive

like this special wrench
Old 08-13-15, 05:54 PM
ronslexus
Driver

Default NX oil change

I finally got a thread on oil changes. I already have the oil and filter for my NX200t. The filter is almost the same as my IS250.

I just haven't been under the NX yet. only 1200 miles on NX.

Where is the filter located in relation to the front of the car? left, right, front or back?

I have changed every one of the 58 cars I have owned in and out of warranty. Lots of BMW's and 3 lexus. This will be my first on the NX.