NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

F Sport Wheel Corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 08:01 PM
murdy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Sport Wheel Corrosion?

Does anybody have any thoughts on the quality of the F Sport wheels that have the black painted spokes? They look to be manufactured by the same company that makes similar wheels for other auto companies. Take a look at these pictures of my Kia Sportage wheels. They look identical to the NX wheels and have started to seriously corrode.
Attached Thumbnails F Sport Wheel Corrosion?-kia-wheel-1.jpg   F Sport Wheel Corrosion?-kia-wheel-2.jpg  
Old 08-20-15, 03:42 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you really just compare a Lexus (Toyota) to a Kia?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Seriously though, never do that. Kias are terribly built cars with no concern for the longevity value to the customer. I'm sure when Kia ordered that wheel from the manufacturer, it was the cheapest version and using the cheapest materials available. Toyota would not make that same mistake.
Old 08-20-15, 05:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Murdy, definitely not the same wheels as the Kia's above. Different curves, spokes, design, etc....

Where did you get your info on the manufacturing? Regardless, as Swacer pointed out, there are different qualities and finish durabilities to be expected, but eventually a machined finish wheel will corrode.

If you like these but have a concern on winter durability, put a heavy coat of wax and re-apply when you wash the car in winter. I've known some owners do that on various cars with their machined wheels (VWs, Oldsmobiles, Hondas, etc) with impressive results. One guy had his Cutlass Supreme for 20 years (and 20 winters) with the original wheels and had just some corroded spots in the edges after all that time.
Old 08-20-15, 08:58 PM
murdy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip Corrado! I will have to try that when I take delivery of my NX which will be in the winter. I have no confirmation that the manufacturer of the wheels is the same company, but I spent allot of time comparing the two and they look identical as far as materials go. Neither Lexus dealer that I talked to could get me the manufacturer of the wheels. Both the Kia and Lexus alloys have a clear coat on them which is what has corroded over time on my Kia that I am trading in on the NX. I drove the Kia through 3 winters and only washed them in drive through car washes. I will for sure be taking better care of my NX wheels after seeing what's possible.
Old 08-21-15, 01:37 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Did you really just compare a Lexus (Toyota) to a Kia?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Seriously though, never do that. Kias are terribly built cars with no concern for the longevity value to the customer. I'm sure when Kia ordered that wheel from the manufacturer, it was the cheapest version and using the cheapest materials available. Toyota would not make that same mistake.
Ehh, I wouldn't be so certain. Lexus had to replace the wheels on my IS TWICE after they corroded, peeled and chipped heavily with normal use. Under warranty but still, you are a little overconfident in the quality of Toyota/Lexus products.
Old 08-21-15, 03:26 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by optokki
Ehh, I wouldn't be so certain. Lexus had to replace the wheels on my IS TWICE after they corroded, peeled and chipped heavily with normal use. Under warranty but still, you are a little overconfident in the quality of Toyota/Lexus products.
Chipping is hardly a manufacturing issue. You talk like you'd take your car to the dealer everytime you got a stone chip on the bumper?!

Corrosion = something harsh being used or water is being able to access the rim.

I have had my RX450h F-Sport for 3 years. I kerbed my front wheel a month into ownership. I still have the car and no corrosion at all.
Old 08-21-15, 03:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Chipping is your problem, drive on better roads.

Corrosion will occur because of the chipping. One leads to the other.

And its not overconfidence in the quality of Toyota products (if you'd read the threads, you'd see I"ve had plenty of issues) but rather I have unlimited confidence in Toyota compared to the trash Korean companies
Old 08-21-15, 03:57 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayaans
Chipping is hardly a manufacturing issue. You talk like you'd take your car to the dealer everytime you got a stone chip on the bumper?!

Corrosion = something harsh being used or water is being able to access the rim.

I have had my RX450h F-Sport for 3 years. I kerbed my front wheel a month into ownership. I still have the car and no corrosion at all.
No, it was replaced twice under warranty because the wheels were faulty. If it was me thrashing my wheels, it wouldn't have been covered. And no, I hardly take my car to the dealer at all for any sort of work. Lexus admitted the wheels were not finished properly and they were bubbling and peeling severely without external influences (curbing, etc). Just because I had issues and you didn't doesn't nullify the fact that I had a legitimate one lol. I'm glad you never had problems with your wheels.
Old 08-21-15, 04:00 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Chipping is your problem, drive on better roads.

Corrosion will occur because of the chipping. One leads to the other.

And its not overconfidence in the quality of Toyota products (if you'd read the threads, you'd see I"ve had plenty of issues) but rather I have unlimited confidence in Toyota compared to the trash Korean companies
Seems like I struck a nerve with you.. I've never owned a Korean car, so I have nothing to say in regards to that. But I have owned Toyota products for over 10 years and my family have owned Toyota products for over 20. Yes, they are generally well designed, built, engineered and put together (which is why I continue to buy them) but your statement regarding Toyota's apparent invulnerability to manufacturing defects shows a lot of bias.
Old 08-21-15, 04:13 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Seems like I struck a nerve with you.. I've never owned a Korean car, so I have nothing to say in regards to that. But I have owned Toyota products for over 10 years and my family have owned Toyota products for over 20. Yes, they are generally well designed, built, engineered and put together (which is why I continue to buy them) but your statement regarding Toyota's apparent invulnerability to manufacturing defects shows a lot of bias.
Its literally impossible to strike a nerve on me. I simply enjoy debate.
Old 08-21-15, 04:14 AM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Its literally impossible to strike a nerve on me. I simply enjoy debate.
Text is always hard to interpret properly.
Old 08-21-15, 06:06 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have now owned two Korean cars: The first, a loaded 2003 Sorento, was excellent in all regards and we had very few problems with it. It was traded in January for a loaded 2015 Genesis Sedan, which we love and has also had no issues to date.

Swacie simply has a bad taste in his mouth from one he had that was less than wonderful.
Old 08-21-15, 07:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
I have now owned two Korean cars: The first, a loaded 2003 Sorento, was excellent in all regards and we had very few problems with it. It was traded in January for a loaded 2015 Genesis Sedan, which we love and has also had no issues to date.

Swacie simply has a bad taste in his mouth from one he had that was less than wonderful.
If I was buying a late model Hyundai or Kia, the durability of the wheels is one of the last things I'd worry about. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old 08-21-15, 08:26 PM
optokki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t

According to all the recent reviews and ownership reviews that I've heard/read, Hyundai and Kia are right up there in terms of quality to the Japanese. I go to Korea about twice a year so I do spend quite a bit of time in and around them and what I can say is that they have improved 100 fold in the span of a decade. The new Genesis sedan looks fantastic and rides really well. I'd actually seriously consider one over something like a 5 series or GS. Obviously, theres no changing Swacer's mind because his ownership experience was quite awful but in every case, there are awful experiences. You don't wanna know about my friend's experience with a B7 Audi S4 lol.
Old 08-22-15, 09:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Swacer's Genesis coupe experience echoes Hyundai (and Kia's) below average placement so although these vehicles appear as refined as the best from Japan, they still have a way to go in dependability.

Let's stay on topic - wheels that is.

Quick Reply: F Sport Wheel Corrosion?