Xpel Ultimate ppf: my self-install vid

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 05:02 PM
alexdell
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Xpel Ultimate ppf: my self-install vid

Hi Everyone,

My friend & I installed the Xpel Ultimate ppf (paint protection film) on my Lexus NX a couple of months ago. This is the first time we have installed a film and just watched numerous youtube install videos & instructions from the xpel website. It took us basically the entire day since we took our time. The install kit was for the front bumper, full hood, fenders, a-pillars & in front of sunroof, headlights & side-view mirrors.

The most difficult (& time-consuming) part of the installation was the front bumper due to the multiple sharp angles of the NX. Overall, it came out great with only one area where the edge overstretched/overlapped on the bottom bumper edge. Also, the top edge of the bumper was not completed sealed and I left the truck outside when it rained the following day. A few particles of dirt were trapped & collected on the top edge of the film. Just minor stuff, so I’m overall happy with the results. I also applied the Sonus sealant a week later after I poked any bubbles that showed up.

We made a time lapse video of the hood & bumper install. Here’s a link to the video (just over a minute) in Vimeo:

Vimeo Install Vid

Also, attached are some pics of the “blemishes”:

I would like to give a big thank you to Phil of Detailer's Domain for supplying me with the film. We have a common friend and he was gracious enough to give me the film at cost. I wanted the entire hood so it cost a lot more than the partial hood. If you are in the Tristate area (NY/NJ/CT), check out his store. He is a club lexus vendor & I highly recommend his shop for detailing and detailing supplies. His staff do exceptional work and have numerous clients with high-end vehicles. Check out his website Detailer's Domain. They can sell the film in bulk or can do the install. His shop is based in Norwood, NJ but they also ship.

In my opinion, if you are willing to learn & accept the inevitable "blemishes" since this is your first time doing this job, then go ahead and get a pre-cut self-install kit. I highly recommend asking someone for help with the install though. The second time around should be a lot easier. We are planning on installing the film in my friend's Land Rover LR4 next.

If you prefer that it's done perfectly then leave it to the professionals as they will also guarantee their work and replace if necessary.

Hope this helps anyone who is contemplating on taking on this project.

Alex
Old 08-28-15, 05:08 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

wow, you guys work fast!

=)
Old 08-28-15, 05:19 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys have a lot more nerve than I do to complete the self install. I'd have a lot more blemishes than you spotlighted for sure. Overall, a job well done for the first attempt. Just curious, how much did the entire kit cost you?
Old 08-28-15, 05:50 PM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job Alex.
Old 08-28-15, 05:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

DIY all the way. If you can do it yourself, all the the better, right? Nice work and video.
Old 08-28-15, 09:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Very impressed! That's not an easy job!