NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Vibration @ 120 km

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 12:20 PM
terrio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration @ 120 km

Since new (March 2015) the NX200 has had a vibration at 120 km/hr...not always and can't seem to figure out what starts it. Dealership says it is a "glitch" in the car and I'll have to live with it! But it's annoying as h*&#, and I shouldn't have to LIVE WITH IT...it's a lexus! Does anyone else have this issue and if so how has it been remedied. I am taking the car to another dealer to see if they can figure it out, but am now wondering if it's an electronic issue as the car doesn't always start on first try, and the nav screen has blanked out on me once. Must say, this is my 4th lexus and likely my last unless it gets sorted. Can't live with this vibration too much longer given I'm on the highway a lot. BTW it is not a tire issue.
Old 09-07-15, 06:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Wish it were under better circumstances though.

I have no vibration at 120+ kph.

You mention it's not a tire issue. Were the tire/wheels checked for a perfect balance, with precision equipment like Hunter Roadforce?

Did they check the alignment and other suspension components are within specs? When I got my new RX 3 years ago, I noticed a pull from Day 1 which the dealer checked out and noticed the alignment was off. They fixed it without issue.

As for the starting difficulty, did you notice your amount of fuel remaining? It cranks more times with fuel below 1/4 tank. See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-starting.html
Old 09-07-15, 06:22 PM
terrio
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much. I will have another dealership check it out and I will watch for when the starting issue happens. They said they checked the tires, but not sure what the system was that they used. Also, it's my understanding that alignment machines will only check to 105 km and no higher...so not sure still if that may be the issue. Coincidentally, I had two RX 350's - both with pulling issues that were NEVER resolved. But I did notice in later models the issue was not present. So you have an NX200 with no vibration no matter what the speed and you drive it routinely at 120 km or thereabouts? That would be most encouraging. Also, curious to know (if you can tell me here) who the dealership is in TO that you deal with. I may have the dealership refer to them. Again, much appreciated.
Old 09-08-15, 07:14 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Did you have them go out for a test drive with you or on their own and hit the 120+ kph mark to feel/hear the vibration in action? This might help a service tech better understand the issue and maybe help to pinpoint it as well.

Phil
Old 09-08-15, 06:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by philwojo
Did you have them go out for a test drive with you or on their own and hit the 120+ kph mark to feel/hear the vibration in action? This might help a service tech better understand the issue and maybe help to pinpoint it as well.

Phil
Good point.

@ terrio, "checking the tires" could simply mean they checked the tire pressure which may be a cause for the car pulling if one tire is seriously underinflated but not vibration. I don't often drive above 120 kph but the few times has been vibration free and that's been on larger wheels too (which are typically more prone to issues). I've always had top quality service from Erin Park Lexus for many years. Good luck.

PS. Do you have AVS or the standard suspension? AVS comes only on the F Sport Series 2. All F Sports have lateral performance dampers which absorb the smallest of chassis vibrations plus, with AVS, it automatically adjusts damping force to minimize road vibrations/bumps.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 09-08-15 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 01:08 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem. I think it's do to the F Sport suspension.

I'm assuming everyone who has this problem has an F Sport.
Old 09-09-15, 09:07 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
I have the same problem. I think it's do to the F Sport suspension.

I'm assuming everyone who has this problem has an F Sport.
Mine's an F-sport AWD model with AVS. No problem all the way up to 180kmh...
Old 09-10-15, 12:30 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by legrunt
Mine's an F-sport AWD model with AVS. No problem all the way up to 180kmh...
I have the same set up except AVS.

I wonder if not having the AVS is the problem.

Or the computer that they used tell the suspension how to behave is not doing it's job.
Old 09-10-15, 12:32 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by terrio
Since new (March 2015) the NX200 has had a vibration at 120 km/hr...not always and can't seem to figure out what starts it. Dealership says it is a "glitch" in the car and I'll have to live with it! But it's annoying as h*&#, and I shouldn't have to LIVE WITH IT...it's a lexus! Does anyone else have this issue and if so how has it been remedied. I am taking the car to another dealer to see if they can figure it out, but am now wondering if it's an electronic issue as the car doesn't always start on first try, and the nav screen has blanked out on me once. Must say, this is my 4th lexus and likely my last unless it gets sorted. Can't live with this vibration too much longer given I'm on the highway a lot. BTW it is not a tire issue.
Is Lexus Corp. aware of the issue?
Old 09-10-15, 07:21 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a NX F-sport FWD and don't have any vibration issue while cruising at fwy speed.
Old 09-10-15, 11:54 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I cruised for 3 hours at 120 km/h from Edmonton to Calgary and back. No vibration.
AWD, no AVS, OEM Michelin MXM4 225/60R18.

I would check the tire balance. Can you describe the vibration? Whole vehicle, through seats, through steering?
Old 09-10-15, 05:29 PM
PR3D4K1NG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
I cruised for 3 hours at 120 km/h from Edmonton to Calgary and back. No vibration.
AWD, no AVS, OEM Michelin MXM4 225/60R18.

I would check the tire balance. Can you describe the vibration? Whole vehicle, through seats, through steering?
I cruised at 120 km/hr from Calgary to Edmonton and back. No concerns here either. Very smooth and quiet actually.

Computerwi, do you have a white non F-Sport by any chance?
Old 09-10-15, 06:02 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by PR3D4K1NG
I cruised at 120 km/hr from Calgary to Edmonton and back. No concerns here either. Very smooth and quiet actually.

Computerwi, do you have a white non F-Sport by any chance?
Who from Calgary ventures north to Edmonton? :P

Sure do. Eminent White Pearl I believe is the full name.
Old 09-10-15, 07:37 PM
PR3D4K1NG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
Who from Calgary ventures north to Edmonton? :P

Sure do. Eminent White Pearl I believe is the full name.
I have a sharp eye for oncoming traffic. Or I picked a popular color and had a lucky guess. Either way, cheers.

I have a 3 year old. We went to the West Edmonton Mall. I think the only reason to go to Edmonton, isn't it?
Old 10-24-15, 07:14 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Any solutions to this problem yet?

I just had my 10k service and I just forgot to have them check it out.

I'm going to set up an appt soon.

Quick Reply: Vibration @ 120 km