NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 11:58 AM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash cam

I have dash cams installed in my other cars and I feel much safer driving with one. I'm currently looking to install one for my NX but I'm debating if I should:

1) Go with what I've always done which is hardwire it to the car then run the lines along the windshield trim and out at the rear view mirror and mount the camera just below the rear view mirror.

3) Go with an action camera like a Go pro which can be mounted anywhere except I have to keep an eye out for the battery

Anyone has a dash cam installed?
Old 09-15-15, 12:22 PM
netZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I personally installed a FineVu Pro Full HD. Dashcam is mounted right in front of the rear view mirror, with the wire hidden in the headliner and routed along the passenger A pillar and under the glove box. I used the included cigarette socket adapter in the center console.

Thanks!
netZ
Old 09-15-15, 02:07 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fishcak3s
I have dash cams installed in my other cars and I feel much safer driving with one. I'm currently looking to install one for my NX but I'm debating if I should:

1) Go with what I've always done which is hardwire it to the car then run the lines along the windshield trim and out at the rear view mirror and mount the camera just below the rear view mirror.

3) Go with an action camera like a Go pro which can be mounted anywhere except I have to keep an eye out for the battery

Anyone has a dash cam installed?
I, too, use a dashcam. I just bought my NX, so I have to install it there soon. I'm going to run the wire along the trim and into the fusebox.

As an owner of two GoPro cameras, I wouldn't use it as a dashcam. They are just not set up to do that type of surveillance. In addition to keeping tabs on the battery, they don't have an "endless" mode like dedicated dashcams. Also, a thief would probably rather break into a car to get a GoPro than a less-expensive dashcam.
Old 09-15-15, 07:04 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm curious, how does a dash cam make you feel safer?
Old 09-15-15, 09:37 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a Blackvue DR650 hardwired. I agree it adds peace of mind in case something happens. I've been in too many of those "he said she said" incidents.

You can see my setup in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...r-dashcam.html
Old 09-15-15, 10:00 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm curious, how does a dash cam make you feel safer?
It wasn't me that said I feel safe, I think it was fishcak3s that said it. For me, I just like the assurance that if anything happens, I have a better chance of protecting myself when dealing with either insurance companies or with law enforcement.
Old 09-15-15, 11:37 PM
akkidy
Driver School Candidate

I installed a BlackVue Wi-Fi DR500GW-HD mounted right in front of the rear view mirror. I run the wire in the headliner all the way to the A pillar on the driver side connected to a Power Magic Pro and used add-a-circuit to tap to the fuse box.

I don't think GoPro has built-in GPS which some Dashcams have, loop recording, G-Sensor for accidents, motion detection and parking mode. Something to consider.
Old 09-16-15, 03:39 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
It wasn't me that said I feel safe, I think it was fishcak3s that said it. For me, I just like the assurance that if anything happens, I have a better chance of protecting myself when dealing with either insurance companies or with law enforcement.
I wasn't referring to you, I was reacting to what fishcak said.

So, the camera does not provide any personal safety as I suspected, it only documents what may happen for future use. I'd be more concerned with what happens behind me than in front.
Old 09-16-15, 09:53 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I wasn't referring to you, I was reacting to what fishcak said.
I thought so...no problem.

I'd be more concerned with what happens behind me than in front.
There are "dual channel" dashcams that record both forward and rear of the vehicle.

Here's a good site for all that is dashcam, complete with user forums, like this forum.
Old 09-16-15, 11:17 AM
fishcak3s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like RXOwner said, it makes me feel safer not in terms of road safety but a peace of mind knowing that there will be proof of exactly what happened in case if I ever get into an accident and I wasn't the one at fault.

I've heard and witnessed many incidents where the party at fault got away, passed or tried to pass some responsibilities onto the party not at fault when it comes to accident responsibilities. I prefer to have hard evidence instead of he/she said.

As for what's behind me, if the camera is able to capture what's in front of me at the time of the accident, it wont' be too hard to sort out what happened behind me. But, I do have friends with dash cams both pointing the front and the back of their vehicles.

Sorry for the confusion
Old 09-17-15, 01:01 PM
cb80923
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my car cameras/dvrs because I lived in Rhode Island, which at the time was the state with the highest percentage of un-insured motorists and thus the highest insurance rates it seemed. Peace of mind against stupid drivers that dont have insurance. Have kept them ever since.
Additionally, buddy of mine's wife was pulled over, cop was being an idiot. She played the video of her dash cam to the judge and the judge actually sanctioned the cop and threw out her case. Even thought the judge couldnt see what was going on (because camera was forward facing), he could hear every bit of it.
Old 09-20-15, 07:39 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cb80923
I got my car cameras/dvrs because I lived in Rhode Island, which at the time was the state with the highest percentage of un-insured motorists and thus the highest insurance rates it seemed. Peace of mind against stupid drivers that dont have insurance. Have kept them ever since.
Additionally, buddy of mine's wife was pulled over, cop was being an idiot. She played the video of her dash cam to the judge and the judge actually sanctioned the cop and threw out her case. Even thought the judge couldnt see what was going on (because camera was forward facing), he could hear every bit of it.
can you share what the cop did to get in trouble?
Old 09-20-15, 08:20 PM
semco
Driver School Candidate

I love the capra 120/130 and for rear use 10. Great pic.