NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

💡 Photos of my LED Bulb Replacement in Cargo Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 12:17 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow 💡 Photos of my LED Bulb Replacement in Cargo Area

After two previous failed attempts due to the wrong sized LED bulbs, I finally was able to swap out the original incandescent bulbs in the cargo area with LEDs. 💡

It makes quite a difference in illumination. I am very happy with the results. See the before and after image below. 👀

The LEDs I used were 28 mm, 12-SMD LED bulbs. These are replacements for DE3175 bulbs (which Mazda put in their Mazda 3 vehicles). The official lamp of the NX cargo incandescent bulb is DE3022, but the first LED bulbs I bought were much too long to fit in the cargo lamp fixture. The second bulbs were shorter in length (30mm) and were also DE3022 replacements. I thought I could make the 30mm bulbs fit, but they wouldn't. I then came to the conclusion that there is no standard length for a DE3022 bulb.

Finally, I found these (http://goo.gl/AEGNMV) on Amazon. These particular LEDs are unidirectional so that it throws all the light into the cargo area (no wasted light as in the omnidirectional LEDs).

----------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 2015-11-04: It appears that in the 2016 NX models, this bulb and lighting assembly was changed from a festoon configuration (connections at both ends) to a wedge bulb configuration (connection on one end). Stay tuned for wedge bulb a recommendation(s).
----------------------------------------------------------

Since this was my third attempt, I completed the cargo light conversion in less than 10 minutes. 🕙

In the photo below, the left bulb is the 2015 OEM bulb, the new LED bulb is on the right. Although the SMDs are yellow in color, make no mistake, theses bulbs produce a very bright, white light...

Here is a before (top) and an after (bottom) images I took of my cargo area with some personal items in there. I did not touch these items during bulb replacement...

Last edited by NXOwner; 11-04-15 at 09:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NXOwner:
Doug007 (12-16-17), MissEllie (07-05-17)
Old 10-03-15, 01:22 AM
warrior250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you notice if the bulbs are still on after you close the trunk?
Old 10-03-15, 01:34 AM
NXOwner
Racer

That was one of the first things I tested. The bulbs work as they always have—turning off after the cargo door closes, as well as turning on when the cargo door opens.

I also tested for heat. I left them on for a while and—like most LEDS—they did not heat up.

Last edited by NXOwner; 10-03-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-04-15, 10:29 AM
ramyta
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats so nice. I always noticed how dim the light is. I just ordered them from Amazon Prime with free shipping. $10.00 not too bad. I noticed however this message in the description "Note: For newer model EUROPEAN vehicles, as well as vehicles with CANBUS monitoring systems, please research your particular vehicle before buying LEDs. You may need to purchase from our line of ERROR-FREE CANBUS LEDs to ensure that your vehicle does not give you an error message after installation.". I hope I don't get any errors.
Old 10-04-15, 05:07 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

you won't get any errors. Those lights will work with canbus or non-canbus replacements. The non-canbus should be better as they don't need the built in resistors.
Old 10-04-15, 06:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Big difference!
Old 10-04-15, 08:42 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by ramyta
Thats so nice. I always noticed how dim the light is. I just ordered them from Amazon Prime with free shipping. $10.00 not too bad. I noticed however this message in the description "Note: For newer model EUROPEAN vehicles, as well as vehicles with CANBUS monitoring systems, please research your particular vehicle before buying LEDs. You may need to purchase from our line of ERROR-FREE CANBUS LEDs to ensure that your vehicle does not give you an error message after installation.". I hope I don't get any errors.
I receive no errors whatsoever with these bulbs.

Just like @typocl says, the cargo lights will work with either CANBUS or non-CANBUS bulbs. I think the seller on Amazon just needs to cover his a$$ in case there is a vehicle out there that does require a resistant load bulb.
Old 10-05-15, 04:56 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The above Amazon link is for six of the bulbs, for $9.98. Here is an Ebay link for a pair, for $5.22. Both include free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131309553534?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
Old 10-05-15, 09:17 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
The above Amazon link is for six of the bulbs, for $9.98. Here is an Ebay link for a pair, for $5.22. Both include free shipping.

2 x 6000K White 28mm 12SMD LED DE3175 Festoon Dome Interior Light Bulbs | eBay
If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can get it delivered for free tomorrow from Amazon. You can even get it today (using same day delivery).

Otherwise, if you order from that eBay link, you may be waiting (not only does it take some time for delivery, they are ON VACATION!! ha-ha! What reputable company goes on vacation?? LOL!

Here's what's on the eBay link:

Old 10-05-15, 09:39 AM
LBCDan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the vanity mirror lights? What bulbs would you use there?
Old 10-05-15, 10:05 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by LBCDan
How about the vanity mirror lights? What bulbs would you use there?
I replaced those this weekend. I just went to my local auto parts store and bought LED replacements. All they are, are wedge-style bulbs for bulb sizes 175 or 194. Really common and inexpensive.
Old 10-05-15, 11:22 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

check out this thread for some info on the vanity lights (real simple):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...d-upgrade.html

And not all the wedge bulbs are the same in regards to color. But pretty much anything you get will be an improvement over the incandescent bulbs.
Old 10-05-15, 11:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've thought about looking into this. A buddy of mine owns a LED lighting company and I'm yet to chime him on it.
Old 10-05-15, 11:49 AM
NXOwner
Racer

By the way, here's a list of the various bulbs found in the NX.

Old 10-05-15, 11:57 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
By the way, here's a list of the various bulbs found in the NX.

I anxiously await for Sylvania to discontinue SilverStar headlights. Those lights can make me go from being in a great mood, to contemplating how fast I can toss the driver out of the car that has them... lol

Quick Reply: 💡 Photos of my LED Bulb Replacement in Cargo Area