NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX window tint (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 05:49 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My installer popped the door panel from the top, removed the clip that held the felt strip and then installed the tint so it stays below the felt when the window is closed.

I was quite surprised that he didn't have to remove the whole panel, just pop the top clips to loosen it off the door, and then remove the plastic insert with the felt.
Old 07-28-15, 05:52 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
My installer popped the door panel from the top, removed the clip that held the felt strip and then installed the tint so it stays below the felt when the window is closed.
So you let your tinter pop the door panel. That's probably the issue here. I just didn't feel comfortable letting them do that. I already have enough rattles...didn't care to add another.

But now I'm not very pleased at all with what it looks like, so I will probably be stuck getting it done again. ugh
Old 07-28-15, 05:56 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Swacer
So you let your tinter pop the door panel. That's probably the issue here. I just didn't feel comfortable letting them do that. I already have enough rattles...didn't care to add another.
I edited while you replying, but yes, he didn't have to remove the whole panel, just pop the top two clips. They are held using standard compression clips, so he just ensured he pushed it back thigh. No rattles before and no rattles after.
Old 07-28-15, 05:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My0gr81
I edited while you replying, but yes, he didn't have to remove the whole panel, just pop the top two clips. They are held using standard compression clips, so he just ensured he pushed it back thigh. No rattles before and no rattles after.
I tried a different tinter than the one who did the Camaro because he was more local and had very good reviews from high places.

However, I am going to schedule an appt with the tinter that did the Camaro for the IS, see how what works out, and while I'm there explain my grief about the current tint on the NX. See what his suggestion is, and probably just have him redo it.
Old 07-28-15, 06:05 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

I tried a different tinter than the one who did the Camaro because he was more local and had very good reviews from high places.

However, I am going to schedule an appt with the tinter that did the Camaro for the IS, see how what works out, and while I'm there explain my grief about the current tint on the NX. See what his suggestion is, and probably just have him redo it.
Don't be afraid of doing it right (by popping the door panel) so you don't have redo it. If you are concerned, have the installer wrap one layer of fabric tape around the clips before re-installing the panel but shouldn't have to do that if done properly.
Old 07-28-15, 06:07 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, but its the ability to trust someone to pull your door panel, which I didn't really have.
Old 07-28-15, 08:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

If you're not satisfied with the job, it's a good idea to try the other installer and see what he says. Maybe he can make it work using different tools and technique. I've used two different installers, one for Llumar film and the other for 3M and both did a great job and no need to pull the door panels, but I didn't have the issue with the fuzzy stuff on any of the cars.
Old 07-28-15, 12:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

No issues with mine and I didn't have to remove the panel. I cut it a little longer enough to just cram it below the felt.

In my build thread...

The silver lining in your case is that if your installer wants to remove your panel, it's an opportunity for you to assess and possibly fix the rattle you mentioned you heard from the passenger door panel.
Old 07-29-15, 03:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
No issues with mine and I didn't have to remove the panel. I cut it a little longer enough to just cram it below the felt.

In my build thread...

The silver lining in your case is that if your installer wants to remove your panel, it's an opportunity for you to assess and possibly fix the rattle you mentioned you heard from the passenger door panel.
Theres probably truth to that. I just envision a clip being carelessly broken and now I have even more rattles.

However, given that they've now done it a second time, I doubt they would do it again without charging. I think I'm going to mention it to my other tinter when he does the IS and see his thoughts on the matter.
Old 08-17-15, 09:55 PM
phatm3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres probably truth to that. I just envision a clip being carelessly broken and now I have even more rattles.

However, given that they've now done it a second time, I doubt they would do it again without charging. I think I'm going to mention it to my other tinter when he does the IS and see his thoughts on the matter.
Any update on this tinting issue?
Old 08-18-15, 03:47 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly, no. When the new tint cured, I ended up with about 3-4 little marks (I repeatedly heated and pressed them). So, for now, i'm going to keep it as it is. If its gets bad over the winter, I will probably have it redone by another person (the guy who did my Camaro).

Plus, I've been too busy going between a GT-R and RC-F and talking to dealerships and such to worry about it lol

Last edited by Swacer; 08-18-15 at 05:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
askdogey (09-08-19)
Old 08-27-15, 08:24 PM
kunju
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got the Wincos Tint - It is amazing

Got the Wincos 30% film added to all windows. It is amazing how much heat this thing blocks. Well worth the $420

I am going back tomorrow to get the front windshield with clear tint for $250 to block the heat on the dashboard. Has anyone done this, if yes what is your experience?
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (03-17-20)
Old 08-28-15, 04:02 PM
mwl7698
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 18% on sides and rear with 40% on the windshield. Wouldnt have a car without tint. Much more comfortable, reduces glare and, As you memtioned, heat.
Old 08-29-15, 04:19 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I had Wincos Ceramics on my 2006 LS 430 and they were the best tints i have ever had on a car. I choose wincos 20% and llumar air 80 for the winshield.

If your purpose is to keep heat out in the summer than it makes sense to tint the windshield too. This will not only make interior cooler but will also protect your interior from damaging UV ways that can fade plastic and crack leather too. I just dont get why some people tint all windows except windshield. Unless its for cosmetic looks only.
Old 08-29-15, 01:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't have an NX, but I recently put 70% 3M crystalline on the windshield of my RX. It blocks about the same amount of heat as the Wincos 45 without being as dark! I can't even tell it's there at night.

Quick Reply: NX window tint (merged threads)