NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX window tint (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 09:08 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Florida has a law that (for front side windows), the tint has to allow at least 28% light through. Someone here on the forums said that the Lexus privacy tint on the back windows are 20%, so if the dealer matched that tint, then I wonder if it is legal in Florida. I've also read that in Florida, there is a "sticker requirement"... "The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driver’s side doorjamb." Do you have such a sticker?
Old 10-12-15, 09:10 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom59
Mine are going to be 80.00 for the front two. - Most places are 120 ish depending on film.
That's a sweet price. Do you know what brand and opacity is being used? Are they also doing the two quarter glass areas?
Old 10-12-15, 09:40 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Florida has a law that (for front side windows), the tint has to allow at least 28% light through. Someone here on the forums said that the Lexus privacy tint on the back windows are 20%, so if the dealer matched that tint, then I wonder if it is legal in Florida. I've also read that in Florida, there is a "sticker requirement"... "The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driver’s side doorjamb." Do you have such a sticker?
Keep in mind that % of light is relative the medium. So, getting 28% of light through on a bright day is much easier than trying to get 28% through at night. Same reason your tint looks like a light shade of black during the day, but looks black at night.

Thus, % is hard to prove. PA states that you have to let 75% of light through and the cop has to be able to see through your driver side window out the passenger size window. Again, entirely dependent upon the medium. If my roof is open, you can see straight through (and my 20% tint has been able to allow over 60% of light when the roof is open), on a overcast day with the roof closed, you can't see anything (down to 20% or below passing through).

Tint laws simply come down to....how cranky is the cop...how much does he hate you.

Additionally, I have several friends that work for the local and state police departments. Their typical feelings....newer luxury cars, super cars, and tastefully modded sports/muscle cars are their least concerns.
Old 10-12-15, 11:10 AM
NXOwner
Racer

^^^^ Many patrolmen use tint meters. These reveal how much light gets through your windows, regardless of the ambient lighting conditions.

Last edited by NXOwner; 10-12-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 11:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

In Illinois, in the law, a 5% variance is allowed. This allows for the small bit of tint from the factory.
Old 10-12-15, 11:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Once the meter is pulled out, it doesn't matter whether it's bright or dark outside. The meters they use are not influenced by ambient light. However, the lighting can be the difference between getting pulled over or not in the first place.
Old 10-12-15, 11:54 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Once the meter is pulled out, it doesn't matter whether it's bright or dark outside. The meters they use are not influenced by ambient light. However, the lighting can be the difference between getting pulled over or not in the first place.
hmm, wonder if we were using the tester incorrectly then? Maybe it was pulling reflection?

Oh well
Old 10-12-15, 12:48 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I just checked and don't see any sticker for window tint.

However, I did see a sticker I hadn't noticed before. It's yellow and states "Caution the maximum load carrying capacity has been reduced. It has been been modified by 8 lbs." The 8 was written in by hand.
Anyone know what that is about?
Old 10-12-15, 01:27 PM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
However, I did see a sticker I hadn't noticed before. It's yellow and states "Caution the maximum load carrying capacity has been reduced. It has been been modified by 8 lbs." The 8 was written in by hand.
Anyone know what that is about?
It means your GWVR has been reduced by 8 pounds due to some miscalculation by an engineer somewhere. They have to post this to cover their butts. So, the maximum weight you can haul has been reduced by a jug of milk. No worries.
Old 10-13-15, 04:21 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a sweet price. Do you know what brand and opacity is being used? Are they also doing the two quarter glass areas?
No clue as I've never used them before. He asked what vehicle so they are fully aware.

I'll find out more Thursday. The other local guy charges 125.00. I have used them but twice had to go back and make them replace some of it. This place is supposed to have a really talented guy. That and I grew up with the owner of the shop.

They WILL do the two quarter glass area's but we shall see if they charge a little more or they stick to the estimate.
Old 10-13-15, 04:46 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

No clue as I've never used them before. He asked what vehicle so they are fully aware.

I'll find out more Thursday. The other local guy charges 125.00. I have used them but twice had to go back and make them replace some of it. This place is supposed to have a really talented guy. That and I grew up with the owner of the shop.

They WILL do the two quarter glass area's but we shall see if they charge a little more or they stick to the estimate.
I got my front windows, along with those dinky little "civic" windows, for $90. lifetime warranty
Old 10-13-15, 05:11 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I got my front windows, along with those dinky little "civic" windows, for $90. lifetime warranty
Civic windows - They quoted me a price knowing the model so ...it's on them.
Old 10-13-15, 05:18 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Civic windows - They quoted me a price knowing the model so ...it's on them.
lol It was the only car I knew to have those before the NX
Old 10-13-15, 06:41 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Swacer
lol It was the only car I knew to have those before the NX
RXs have had quarter-glass for years.
Old 10-13-15, 07:13 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

RXs have had quarter-glass for years.
I remember when they used to open. Wish they would bring them back.

Quick Reply: NX window tint (merged threads)