NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX window tint (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 11:18 AM
Naren
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
$130, but since I paid cash, they knocked-off 10%, so $117.
Thanks for info, car is looking great with tinted..
Old 10-15-15, 07:00 AM
mrsinsyder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Florida has a law that (for front side windows), the tint has to allow at least 28% light through. Someone here on the forums said that the Lexus privacy tint on the back windows are 20%, so if the dealer matched that tint, then I wonder if it is legal in Florida. I've also read that in Florida, there is a "sticker requirement"... "The sticker to identify legal tinting is required on the inside of the driver’s side doorjamb." Do you have such a sticker?
Lived in FL all my life, no such sticker requirement
Old 10-15-15, 10:00 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine were done today , perfect match .......no clue about type of tint or %. An old friend owned the shop and we got to BS'ing so I never even thought about asking. The kid he has doing the work is by far the best I've used. They are spot on perfect. No water , no bubbles nothing.
He did the front large windows and the civic windows for 100.00. Took him 35-40 minutes........I'll take some pics later this week.
Old 10-15-15, 12:50 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsinsyder
Lived in FL all my life, no such sticker requirement
I'm confused as to the relationship between living in Florida one's whole life and window tinting regulations (?). Unless your whole "Florida Life" was as a motorist attorney.

To refresh everyone's memory ...
"316.2955 Window sunscreening material; compliance labeling; tolerances.—
(1) Each installer or seller of sunscreening material shall provide a pressure-sensitive, self-destructive, nonremovable, vinyl-type film label to the purchaser stating that the material complies with the provisions of ss. 316.2951-316.2954. Each such installer shall affix the required label to the inside left door jamb of the motor vehicle. In addition, the label shall state the trade name of the material and the installer’s or seller’s business name. Labeling is not required for factory glazing which complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205.
"
This is straight from The 2015 Florida Statutes.

By the way—for what it's worth—I was born and raised in Florida, but that has nothing to do with window tinting laws.
Old 10-15-15, 02:16 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

I'm confused as to the relationship between living in Florida one's whole life and window tinting regulations (?). Unless your whole "Florida Life" was as a motorist attorney.

To refresh everyone's memory ...
"316.2955 Window sunscreening material; compliance labeling; tolerances.—
(1) Each installer or seller of sunscreening material shall provide a pressure-sensitive, self-destructive, nonremovable, vinyl-type film label to the purchaser stating that the material complies with the provisions of ss. 316.2951-316.2954. Each such installer shall affix the required label to the inside left door jamb of the motor vehicle. In addition, the label shall state the trade name of the material and the installer’s or seller’s business name. Labeling is not required for factory glazing which complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205.
"
This is straight from The 2015 Florida Statutes.

By the way—for what it's worth—I was born and raised in Florida, but that has nothing to do with window tinting laws.
2015 might be why he didn't know- nor do 98% of the cops enforcing it.
Old 10-15-15, 03:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom59
Mine were done today , perfect match .......no clue about type of tint or %. An old friend owned the shop and we got to BS'ing so I never even thought about asking. The kid he has doing the work is by far the best I've used. They are spot on perfect. No water , no bubbles nothing.
He did the front large windows and the civic windows for 100.00. Took him 35-40 minutes........I'll take some pics later this week.
No discussion as to what you wanted, legal vs. a personal preference, how it would look etc.?
Old 10-16-15, 05:14 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
No discussion as to what you wanted, legal vs. a personal preference, how it would look etc.?

I own four vehicles all of them tinted and for good reason my eyes are sensitive to light. I always roll my window down when a cop approaches , which is as rare as bigfoot sightings. The windows are matched to the factory tint.

Are they legal , no , but its never been an issue. Also in this state you can apply for a tint exemption. Mine are very very close to legal btw..

If the Florida law is 2015 then most people do not know about it. - my point
Most cops probably don't care unless you have limo tint and keep the window up. If they cannot see you in the side mirrors they get antsy. For good reason nowadays .......
Old 10-16-15, 09:43 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom59
2015 might be why he didn't know- nor do 98% of the cops enforcing it.
This law has been in effect for at least almost two decades. My research only takes me back to 1997, which is as far as I can go back for that particular statue. It's probably much older than that.

Cops (at least in Florida) are well aware of tinting laws and many of them carry tint meters. That said, they will only use it if necessary, which means probably not that often.
Old 10-18-15, 02:00 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

My tint.......perfect match.

Old 10-18-15, 02:04 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

This law has been in effect for at least almost two decades. My research only takes me back to 1997, which is as far as I can go back for that particular statue. It's probably much older than that.

Cops (at least in Florida) are well aware of tinting laws and many of them carry tint meters. That said, they will only use it if necessary, which means probably not that often.
I was referring to the window stickers , I must have misread it.

Yeah , same here , cops have the meters but it is rarer than a hens tooth they use them. We don't have any sticker law that I'm aware of. Here you can file for an exemption.
Old 10-28-15, 09:28 PM
skabei
Driver

Default Front Window Tints

I picked up my NX yesterday and now I'm thinking about tints for the front window to match the back.

Is there a standard tint type that Lexus uses or is it per dealer? I want the new tints to match the back tints if possible. I was told that the back tints are 35% which is a bit lighter than I would have otherwise wanted, but it's fine for an SUV.

I also don't think they're UV tints so perhaps I'll take off the existing tints for new UV tints. What have you guys done?
Old 10-28-15, 09:37 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by skabei
also don't think they're UV tints so perhaps I'll take off the existing tints for new UV tints. What have you guys done?
I thought the existing (factory) tinting on the windows were "baked" into the glass and are not something that peels off.

At any rate, I went with the 3M CS35 window film on the front windows and quarter-glass, which are lighter than the rear windows.

Here are pics of mine...

3M CS35 Window Film (tint) on front windows and quarter-glass. (01)

3M CS35 Window Film (tint) on front windows and quarter-glass. (02)

3M CS35 Window Film (tint) on front windows and quarter-glass. (03)

3M CS35 Window Film (tint) on front windows and quarter-glass. (04)
Old 10-28-15, 09:41 PM
skabei
Driver

I thought the existing (factory) tinting on the windows were "baked" into the glass and are not something that peels off.

At any rate, I went with the 3M CS35 window film on the front windows and quarter-glass, which are lighter than the rear windows.
Very nice.

I'm not actually sure if the tints are baked in. I should really check.
The default tints on the back are lighter than I thought though. I would prefer 20-25% but maybe 35% is fine in an SUV.

I hope there won't be too big a difference if I get UV tints on just the front if I can't remove the default tints.
Old 01-07-16, 02:24 PM
murdy
Driver School Candidate

Default Front windows tinted today

I got my front windows tinted today and I am not happy with the outcome. The tint shop said Lexus is 25% from the factory so I did that to match. The darkness matches but the factory Lexus tint has a purple hue to it and the 3M tint that was put on my fronts is like a smoky yellow.
Old 01-07-16, 02:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by murdy
I got my front windows tinted today and I am not happy with the outcome. The tint shop said Lexus is 25% from the factory so I did that to match. The darkness matches but the factory Lexus tint has a purple hue to it and the 3M tint that was put on my fronts is like a smoky yellow.
Which series of 3M film did you get?

Quick Reply: NX window tint (merged threads)