Which series of 3M film did you get?
Not sure. The invoice only says 3M Premium tint
Old 01-07-16, 07:08 PM
murdy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint match

Originally Posted by skabei
I picked up my NX yesterday and now I'm thinking about tints for the front window to match the back.

Is there a standard tint type that Lexus uses or is it per dealer? I want the new tints to match the back tints if possible. I was told that the back tints are 35% which is a bit lighter than I would have otherwise wanted, but it's fine for an SUV.

I also don't think they're UV tints so perhaps I'll take off the existing tints for new UV tints. What have you guys done?
Has anyone found a tint that matches the factory Lexus tint? From the inside in has a slight purple hue.
Old 01-07-16, 07:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by murdy
Not sure. The invoice only says 3M Premium tint
Their different lines FX Premium, Color Stable, Crystalline and Ceramic have slightly different color characteristics and some might match the privacy glass a little closer.
Old 01-12-16, 11:44 AM
xxkevo
Driver School Candidate

The closest tint i found that matches the factory tint was llumar CTX 30... it was a little on the pricey side, but I personally was willing to pay the difference to have it match as closely as possible. Plus, the ceramic tint keeps the heat out fairly well.

Old 01-12-16, 01:11 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by murdy
I got my front windows tinted today and I am not happy with the outcome. The tint shop said Lexus is 25% from the factory so I did that to match. The darkness matches but the factory Lexus tint has a purple hue to it and the 3M tint that was put on my fronts is like a smoky yellow.
My 3M CS35 tint (CS = Color Stable) prevents turning purple as it ages, but currently it is fine as far as color matching with the Lexus factory tint. It is four months old now.

Could it be that your particular type of film takes a week or so to "cure", in which case the color will settle to its permanent shade?
Old 01-16-16, 08:36 AM
wu01ok
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with you. I have the same tint but I decide to get my backs tinted darker. So I am sitting on ctx15 back and ctx30 fronts. Looks really good.

Originally Posted by xxkevo
The closest tint i found that matches the factory tint was llumar CTX 30... it was a little on the pricey side, but I personally was willing to pay the difference to have it match as closely as possible. Plus, the ceramic tint keeps the heat out fairly well.

Old 02-23-16, 06:10 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Rear window tint

I was told today that the rear windows are merely privacy glass - that they don't block UV at all but rather are literally just colored glass. Can anyone confirm this? I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but my searches only found discussions relating to the appearance of the glass and not on the function of the rear glass.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-16, 10:28 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

All glass should be UV isn't it? Look at the marking on the car where the Lexus logo is stamped, see if there is UV written on it.
Old 02-25-16, 07:39 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

Good idea TeaAholic1. Unfortunately, it is all in some manufacturing code so I don't know what it means. Oh well. I scheduled it for tinting today. We will put the very lightest tint on the rear windows to help with the heat and a darker tint on the front to try for a matching look.

Old 07-06-16, 10:47 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tint question

I have always tinted all my windows on my cars except the windshield, but this is my first SUV and I plan to have the 2 front windows tinted to match the back. Do the back windows provide enough from the factory to block the UVA/UVB rays that can damage the interior and people sitting back there? I can't seem to find much on the topic for Lexus online. Please advise if you have any wisdom on this. I plan to use the ceramic tint like I did on my IS250 for the heat factor as well here in FL. thanks!
Old 07-06-16, 11:15 AM
skabei
Driver

I'm also looking to put on ceramics on my front windows in the next few weeks. I'm not sure at all whether or not it will perfectly match.. but I'm starting to think that it may not matter as much.

I would still like to know what kind of tints are on the back windows though.
Old 07-06-16, 12:41 PM
mwl7698
Driver

I was advised the rear glass is just a darker privacy glass that does not provide additional UV blocking properties. I had my tint pro put a 70% carbon tint on the rear windows to give 100% UV protection.
Old 07-06-16, 04:47 PM
ramyta
Rookie

I just got my 3M crystalline on the windshield. I wish I did the same on the side windows too. You should check it out.
Old 07-07-16, 05:14 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mwl7698
I was advised the rear glass is just a darker privacy glass that does not provide additional UV blocking properties. I had my tint pro put a 70% carbon tint on the rear windows to give 100% UV protection.
I talked to my tinter yesterday and he said all I needed was the front 2 sides done as it should be fine especially on Lexus glass. They've been doing tint for 30 years and I've used them for 20 of that.
Old 07-07-16, 05:15 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skabei
I'm also looking to put on ceramics on my front windows in the next few weeks. I'm not sure at all whether or not it will perfectly match.. but I'm starting to think that it may not matter as much.

I would still like to know what kind of tints are on the back windows though.
Yes me too on the privacy glass and I had carbon colored ceramic on my car so they should be able to match this.

Quick Reply: NX window tint (merged threads)