NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Navigation software version

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 08:33 PM
hambone8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation software version

Recently noticed that the nag software on my nx is from June 2014. I curious to know if everyone that go their nx this year is in the same version.
Old 10-09-15, 04:15 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 291 Likes on 211 Posts

Same version on mine. It's normal in case you're wondering. The updates are yearly so a 2016 will have the maps from up to 2015.

I am curious though if anyone has a 2015 NX with a build date after June to see if it ships with 2015 June NAV map software...

Old 10-09-15, 04:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think when you buy new, they should offer you 1 free map update. You can decide what year to have it done.
Old 10-09-15, 05:13 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Last time I was at my dealer I asked about getting an up date, this was in early summer. I was told it would be sometime this fall-so I assume it should be available now or very soon.

What sucks is when I drive the Interstate at 70mph thru Tampa it shows I'm on local streets. The Nav is totally lost. FDOT has realigned the Interstate with a bunch of new exits. I hope Lexus includes this in the update.
Old 10-09-15, 06:57 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The sad reality is that with static (chip or DVD-based) maps there are always going to be discrepancies, many of which take a year or more to be updated.

I look forward to the day when the maps are available (as they already are on some vehicles) form a dynamic source, such as Google Maps. This will, of course, require internet connectivity at all times, which is likely among the reasons why Lexus hasn't chosen to go this route.
Old 10-09-15, 07:23 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
The sad reality is that with static (chip or DVD-based) maps there are always going to be discrepancies, many of which take a year or more to be updated.

I look forward to the day when the maps are available (as they already are on some vehicles) form a dynamic source, such as Google Maps. This will, of course, require internet connectivity at all times, which is likely among the reasons why Lexus hasn't chosen to go this route.
Lexus is always behind the times, GM is already including internet connectivity in some of their models.
Old 10-09-15, 07:52 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Lexus is always behind the times, GM is already including internet connectivity in some of their models.
Yes, but is another access bill, and my understanding is that is through AT&T. So if you belong to any other company, you are now paying 2 data bills essentially.

Furthermore, I think Lexus is right to utilize HD Radio, as you are able to get weather and traffic without any additional payment. I enjoy that idea, but it won't help the nav.
Old 10-09-15, 08:01 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swacer
Yes, but is another access bill, and my understanding is that is through AT&T. So if you belong to any other company, you are now paying 2 data bills essentially.

Furthermore, I think Lexus is right to utilize HD Radio, as you are able to get weather and traffic without any additional payment. I enjoy that idea, but it won't help the nav.
It is another "cell phone bill", if you will, as Swacie observes. And one has to remember that there are still vast swaths of the U.S. that have no cellular service, which presents challenges of its own.

I'll keep on using Waze - which, as a crowd-sourced solution for both traffic and map information, is vastly superior to any incrementally-updated data source - for longer trips, and the Lexus Nav when I care less about traffic, accidents, and police activity.
Old 10-09-15, 08:06 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

As a point of interest, on Sunday I will be driving to a destination about 250 miles from my home, and one whose shortest, fastest route will blocked by an interstate highway closure. I am going to compare Waze and the Lexus Nav to see how they both handle the trip. I did this same trip this past Sunday and Waze routed me around the closure with aplomb. I'll report back on the comparison next week.

If anyone has anything in particular they want me to look for in the comparison, feel free to let me know and I will try to accommodate you.
Old 10-09-15, 09:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Our Audi has internet connectivity via T-Mobile (Audi is in the process of changing over to AT&T) and uses Google Maps, POI's. Street View etc. As mentioned, it is a separate bill. Some owners have added it to their existing T-Mobile or AT&T data plans. Quite a few drivers are going with prepaid data programs and use it only as needed vs. connected all of the time.
Old 10-09-15, 09:56 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Our Audi has internet connectivity via T-Mobile (Audi is in the process of changing over to AT&T) and uses Google Maps, POI's. Street View etc. As mentioned, it is a separate bill. Some owners have added it to their existing T-Mobile or AT&T data plans. Quite a few drivers are going with prepaid data programs and use it only as needed vs. connected all of the time.
Can you give us an idea of what that costs?
Old 10-09-15, 10:11 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

...one whose shortest, fastest route will blocked by an interstate highway closure. I am going to compare Waze and the Lexus Nav to see how they both handle the trip.
💡 Tip: In the Lexus navigation, you can set up "Areas to Avoid". (Page 146, Navigation Manual)

Registering an area basically involves indicating an area on the map. You can give this area a name (e.g. "Water Main Construction"). You can save up to 10 named areas and toggle each one as active or inactive independently.

🕓 This is very handy when there is construction for a length of time (a few days, weeks, months, etc). The nav will then always avoid that area on any route calculations.

If anyone has anything in particular they want me to look for in the comparison, feel free to let me know and I will try to accommodate you.
Can you please test to see which system allows guidance throughout the whole trip while using 0 bytes of data on a cell phone data plan?
Old 10-09-15, 10:18 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

RXOwner, I'm aware of the ability to set up "Areas to Avoid". That's great if you know about such things in advance. I'll be testing if the LexNav can reroute (or even alert) me based upon the notion that I do not know about the closure in advance.

As for the "zero bytes" thing, you clearly are being facetious. And in this case, then, the root word of "facetious" would be "feces".

Last edited by 15RC350F; 10-09-15 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 10:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Can you give us an idea of what that costs?
The lowest rate is $15/month for unlimited data, but you have to sign up for 30 months for that rate. Shorter periods cost more, but I don't recall exactly what they are. The prepaid SIM cards are a fraction of those rates and you can just refill as needed.
Old 10-09-15, 10:59 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

RXOwner, I'm aware of the ability to set up "Areas to Avoid". That's great if you know about such things in advance. I'll be testing if the LexNav can reroute (or even alert) me based upon the notion that I do not know about the closure in advance.

As for the "zero bytes" thing, you clearly are being facetious. And in this case, then, the root word of "facetious" would be "feces".
Of course I was being facetious, but isn't the root word "face"?

I use Waze when not in a car with nav (when traveling and in a rental car). I started using Waze long before Google bought them. It uses a ton more data than using the simple Google Maps navigation (even with all the silly "social" features turned off).

Anyway, I've always found the following statement on the Waze wiki very interesting...

"Waze may route over walking trail or stairway segments connected to the road network if conditions are such that the penalized route is still found to be the best route. "

Stairs? Really Waze?

It's at the bottom of this page.

Quick Reply: Navigation software version