NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Headlight Flicker

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 03:14 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Headlight Flicker

So odd finding today. As I was backing out of my driveway this morning, I noticed a flicker of light coming from my driver side headlight. I thought nothing of it and drove to work. When I got home this evening, I left the lights on, and stood in the driveway looking at the car. I noticed an infrequent flicker coming from my furthest out projector on BOTH sides, along a less frequent flicker of the middle projector on each side.

My first impulse was to say that the driver side headlight was faulty, but now after seeing both sides do it (and my wife seconds it happening), I'm very confused.

At a quick glance of the manual I didn't find anything that clued me in.

Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by Swacer; 10-28-15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-28-15, 03:53 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I just went out 10 mins later after calling my salesman (service is closed) and for 3 solid minutes or more, no flickering on either headlight.

Does the Fsport come with auto leveling? Would it adjust like that?

So confused, and now I can't duplicate it on command.
Old 10-28-15, 05:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Just checked mine, no flickering. Triple L LED headlamps are auto-leveling but I don't see that as being related to the flickering you experienced. Maybe a sporadic anomalous delivery of current?
Old 10-28-15, 05:51 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Just checked mine, no flickering. Triple L LED headlamps are auto-leveling but I don't see that as being related to the flickering you experienced. Maybe a sporadic anomalous delivery of current?
Maybe....which would be an electrical gremlin...

The bigger problem is I can't duplicate it on demand. So it's pointless to stop at the dealer and hope it happens...
Old 10-28-15, 06:13 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Maybe....which would be an electrical gremlin...

The bigger problem is I can't duplicate it on demand. So it's pointless to stop at the dealer and hope it happens...
You know what they say...
"Problems that go away by themselves, come back by themselves."
Old 10-29-15, 03:53 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Turned the car on this morning, got another flicker from the driver side outermost projector. Only did it once. Drove my entire way to work (45 mins), and while the car was spinning down, I got out and took a look and there was no flickering. I shut the car off, took another look, still no flickering.

I'm clueless and VERY agitated.

I didn't notice this until the rain started and after the car had been sitting for a week. I'm thinking I might unplug the headlights and check the connections for moisture.
Old 10-29-15, 07:18 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I left a message for my service manager to give me a call and describe the situation.

I have never had a chance to really love this car as there has always been an issue to deal with. After the headlight issue, there has been MORE issues with my Lexus than my 3 yr old Chevy Camaro. That really shouldn't happen. I honestly thought after the seat was replaced that it would be smooth sailing.

Anyone remember that debate I had between the NX and MDX? I do.... Hell, could have even got an All-Terrain trim GMC Sierra for NX money.

Woof....
Old 10-29-15, 06:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I left a message for my service manager to give me a call and describe the situation.

I have never had a chance to really love this car as there has always been an issue to deal with. After the headlight issue, there has been MORE issues with my Lexus than my 3 yr old Chevy Camaro. That really shouldn't happen. I honestly thought after the seat was replaced that it would be smooth sailing.

Anyone remember that debate I had between the NX and MDX? I do.... Hell, could have even got an All-Terrain trim GMC Sierra for NX money.

Woof....
The MDX has bigger problems aka dual-screen interface issues and ZF 9-speed tranny hesitation issues, among others...

Get you're phone ready for video and hope you catch it next time for viewing by your dealer.
Old 10-30-15, 03:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to tape it again last night, but now the damn things won't flicker.

I tried looking for the connectors for power for the lights and wasn't sure which was right. Furthermore, in typical Japanese fashion, that car is so crunched with stuff under the hood, there is barely any room to move around. Its one of the few things that makes me happy about muscle cars and trucks, there is tons of room to get in there and screw around with things.

I am starting to think its a moisture issue, but of course that's impossible to prove unless I can find moisture somewhere around the light. Till then, its just a guessing game sadly. Additionally, like I told my wife, I need the flicker to continue so I can show the problem and get it fixed. If the flicker stops, 1 of 2 things will have happened. 1. The problem fixed itself. 2. I just lost several LEDs and my brand new headlights are dimmer because of it.

Just bums me out that I have had like 1 month of time in 6 months of ownership in which something wasn't wrong with this car that required some kind of fix. That 2016 Sierra looks mighty nice....

Last edited by Swacer; 10-30-15 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-30-15, 06:30 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You should take it to the dealer anyways. The dealer should check to make sure the LED Headlights are receiving the correct consistent current even during load. Check to see if the LED bulbs are good and have them check to make sure your electrical system is all good.

BTW, Automotive LED lights emit light at a certain frequency. Most cameras record at a certain frame rate and will pick up the strobing effect that our eyes do not see. If you ever watch a car show like Top Gear you will see the strobing effect whenever the car's lights are on. This is normal.
Old 10-30-15, 06:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
You should take it to the dealer anyways. The dealer should check to make sure the LED Headlights are receiving the correct consistent current even during load. Check to see if the LED bulbs are good and have them check to make sure your electrical system is all good.

BTW, Automotive LED lights emit light at a certain frequency. Most cameras record at a certain frame rate and will pick up the strobing effect that our eyes do not see. If you ever watch a car show like Top Gear you will see the strobing effect whenever the car's lights are on. This is normal.
Good advice. Take it in. Maybe other owners have brought it up to them. If nothing else you're on record should something happen later on.
Old 10-30-15, 07:09 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CybrRdr

I know, I spoke with the service manager yesterday. He was supposedly calling his local Lexus reps and said he would get back to me next week. I was able to make it flicker with the car running, and the car off.

I will probably take it in and see what happens.

I also agree on the camera issue. However, I saw the flicker with my naked eye, so there was no distortion, but due to the issue that you've mentioned, it would be damn near impossible to consistently record it.

Either way, I'm rather unhappy with this car again....
Old 10-30-15, 07:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Got a response from my minimumly helpful service manager, says "I looked through our repair manual for the NX and there is not a diagnostic procedure for testing the current delivered to the headlight system. We can check the power and ground, but they should be good because if not, the lights wouldn't be working" he created a DPR and otherwise wants to sit on his hands since its "intermittent".

As anger is setting in....the nx is getting closer to traded. The Lexus "experience" has been anything but great...
Old 11-01-15, 02:22 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

It seems like you might have gotten a "problem" car since it seems this isn't a common complaint...so I wouldn't write off Lexus so quickly. You did buy a first model year car, so there are going to be some issues like those you experienced. Later year models will probably have them worked out.

You should drop the car off for them to see. See if the reps will come out to see it; reps make their rounds sometimes.
Old 11-01-15, 04:20 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Early adopter's get the chance to find all the initial build issues, thanks !

Quick Reply: Headlight Flicker