NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Brake Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 09:19 AM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Warning Light

In the past couple of weeks, the brake warning dash light has flashed at me twice for about 3 seconds each time and I can feel the brakes slip a bit. The strange thing is, it has happened on the same street on the same slight incline as I approach a stop sign. It hasn't happened at any other time on any other street. The owner's manual says to get the vehicle in for service asap, and I will, but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

It's just strange to me that it has happened at exactly the same spot both times. I'm thinking there might be some anomaly with the street itself that is causing the brakes to malfunction at that exact spot.
Old 11-11-15, 09:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

You might be one of the few affected NX's with the brake booster recall. Call up your dealer right away and have your VIN number ready. Good luck.
Old 11-12-15, 01:24 AM
Maugis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Refer to Diller to solve your problem, they will do everything as needed
Old 11-12-15, 05:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You may actually be the first person on the forum to state they had the issue.
Old 11-12-15, 06:48 AM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Maugis
Refer to Diller to solve your problem, they will do everything as needed
I'm not sure what this means?

Anyway, it happened again yesterday afternoon - this time at a different location, but again the warning light came on while coming to a stop on an incline. The car goes to the dealer service tomorrow morning. I'm not particularly fond of my dealer's service department, so I anticipate they will come up with the standard, "We can't find anything wrong" response. I'll let you know.
Old 11-12-15, 06:57 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DonnaNX
I'm not sure what this means?

Anyway, it happened again yesterday afternoon - this time at a different location, but again the warning light came on while coming to a stop on an incline. The car goes to the dealer service tomorrow morning. I'm not particularly fond of my dealer's service department, so I anticipate they will come up with the standard, "We can't find anything wrong" response. I'll let you know.
Go onto the lexus site, search for the recalls, put your vin in, and see if you come up as a candidate. If you do, take that with you, say you're meeting the symptoms and you want the recall addressed.
Old 11-12-15, 07:02 AM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Go onto the lexus site, search for the recalls, put your vin in, and see if you come up as a candidate.
Thanks, Swacer. I already did that - nothing came up for my vehicle.
Old 11-12-15, 07:39 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Then just print out the recall, if you are consistent with the symptoms, I would mention that.

Each time that light goes off, your ECU time stamps it. Tell them to pull up your ECU output and find the time stamps that each of those lights came on to confirm it.

Either way, I would get this addressed. If it comes up again, grab your phone quickly and get a picture or video of it. Always helps to have visual evidence.
Old 11-12-15, 09:52 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Check to see if there's any TSB out for your car:
http://www.revbase.com/bbbmotor
Old 11-12-15, 10:28 AM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
Check to see if there's any TSB out for your car:
http://www.revbase.com/bbbmotor
Thanks for the link, this again pulled up the recall information on the actuator issue. I'm guessing that this is what the problem is, although my car was manufactured in June 2015 (beyond the manufacture date of the recall), maybe it got the bad ABS actuator anyway.
Old 11-12-15, 11:24 AM
phatm3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the past couple of weeks, the brake warning dash light has flashed at me twice for about 3 seconds each time and I can feel the brakes slip a bit. The strange thing is, it has happened on the same street on the same slight incline as I approach a stop sign. It hasn't happened at any other time on any other street. The owner's manual says to get the vehicle in for service asap, and I will, but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

It's just strange to me that it has happened at exactly the same spot both times. I'm thinking there might be some anomaly with the street itself that is causing the brakes to malfunction at that exact spot.
Which one is the brake warning dash light? I had a warning flash but mine was a precollision warning...not the same?
Old 11-12-15, 12:23 PM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

The warning light I get says "BRAKE" in large letters with a beeping alarm sound. I also have PCS, but if I understand correctly that warning would be "PCS." Also, I have not had PCS engaged, nor were there any other vehicles around when the brake warning light came on. It has happened as I press the brake pedal to stop.
Old 11-12-15, 01:31 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any chance the brake fluid could be low that might cause this light to go on?
Happening on a hill at the same spot sounds suspicious.
Old 11-13-15, 05:40 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The warning light I get says "BRAKE" in large letters with a beeping alarm sound. I also have PCS, but if I understand correctly that warning would be "PCS." Also, I have not had PCS engaged, nor were there any other vehicles around when the brake warning light came on. It has happened as I press the brake pedal to stop.
Take a look at pages 303 and 304 in the manual. What you describe appears to be the PCS brake warning. You can turn PCS off, but it re-engages every time you start the car. Could be a fault in PCS, or take a look at 305 for some "conditions" that can activate it unnecessarily.
Old 11-13-15, 06:22 AM
DonnaNX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jim256
Take a look at pages 303 and 304 in the manual. What you describe appears to be the PCS brake warning. You can turn PCS off, but it re-engages every time you start the car. Could be a fault in PCS, or take a look at 305 for some "conditions" that can activate it unnecessarily.
Thank you! I am sure its the PCS system kicking in now. I thought that it would flash something other than "BRAKE," but according to those pages in the owner's manual, that is what comes up when it engages and would explain why it is doing it on the inclines.

Quick Reply: Brake Warning Light