NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Locked Parking brake last night, while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 04:39 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a call from the dealer that picked up my NX yesterday. First, big props for the local dealer having my NX towed in on a Sunday. He told me two things. The parking brake is not disengaging as expected. He said in drive, the brake should release if you hold the level down for 5 seconds and it is not. The tech ordered a new body control ECU. They are dropping off an ES loaner in about 30 minutes

My thoughts are that all of these safety interlocks have gotten out of hand. No matter what car companies dream up, you can't fix stupid drivers.
Old 11-17-15, 07:35 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

The other problem with this electronic parking brake is that is there no way to manually release it. What if the battery died? One would have to get it towed and that could still be a challenge with the rear wheels locked.
Old 11-18-15, 04:16 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

FYI, my NX was fixed and I picked it up last night. I also discussed with the dealer about getting out of it. My lease buyout is $35,450 and the said they can get me into a different vehicle and bury under $1,000. That's promising but another Lexus is not whats I'm looking for.

The NX is an excellent touring car, drives beautifully on the highway, quiet, secure but I find it underpowered and unresponsive around town and many of these safety interlock features are frustrating to me. The wife and I have taken our NX on a couple of road trips, including 2300 miles a couple of days after we got it. Wonderful car for such a trip. Not sure what we may do.
Old 11-18-15, 04:22 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
The other problem with this electronic parking brake is that is there no way to manually release it. What if the battery died? One would have to get it towed and that could still be a challenge with the rear wheels locked.
Many vehicles no longer have manual parking brake release capabilities. Welcome to progress.

As far as towing, this is why they make flatbeds.
Old 11-18-15, 04:23 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr645
FYI, my NX was fixed and I picked it up last night.
What exactly does the repair order indicate that they did?
Old 11-18-15, 04:29 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

The repair said

reprogram, reset Body Control Module.
Reset BCM to factory setting, test all functions
Old 11-18-15, 04:41 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

The repair said

Interesting.
Old 11-18-15, 08:53 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Don't underestimate an engineer lol. E brakes maybe new to Lexus, but BMWs have had them for a while. In the first couple years they supplied drivers with a hex key, u can use to manually release the e brake. Now it's just something provided and kept by certified tow companies when they need to pick up a Vehicle.
Old 11-18-15, 01:21 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I never have my vehicles towed by having two wheels on the ground—even if they use wheel dollys. If I ever call for a tow, I specifically ask for a flatbed truck.
Old 11-18-15, 07:26 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I never have my vehicles towed by having two wheels on the ground—even if they use wheel dollys. If I ever call for a tow, I specifically ask for a flatbed truck.
Agreed. Especially for those with AWD, flatbed is a must. But, getting the vehicle onto the bed with locked tires itself will complicate things.
Old 11-18-15, 07:29 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Don't underestimate an engineer lol. E brakes maybe new to Lexus, but BMWs have had them for a while. In the first couple years they supplied drivers with a hex key, u can use to manually release the e brake. Now it's just something provided and kept by certified tow companies when they need to pick up a Vehicle.
As an engineer, I can attest. I know the LS and GS include tools in the emergency kits to release the brake. It was an oversight to not include this with the NX. There are many circumstances I can picture where a tow truck is not feasible or accessible.
Old 11-18-15, 09:38 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Agreed. Especially for those with AWD, flatbed is a must. But, getting the vehicle onto the bed with locked tires itself will complicate things.
That's one reason why tow truck operators carry wheel dollys.
Old 11-19-15, 12:05 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Originally Posted by NXOwner
That's one reason why tow truck operators carry wheel dollys.
Again, noted, but "complicates" things.
Old 11-19-15, 12:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Again, noted, but "complicates" things.
Devils advocate, but would you prefer to not have auto hold? Electronic E brakes usually require a electronic e brake
Old 11-19-15, 12:28 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

The repair said

Have you ever tested the functionality since, so that you know how it will react in situations you foresee happening in the future?

Quick Reply: Locked Parking brake last night, while driving