NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Do you feel any engine vibrations at low RPM with your NX 200t?
Yes. Often
20.93%
Yes. Sometimes
31.78%
No. Not at all
47.29%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

NX 200t Owner Survey - Engine Vibration Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 05:16 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Shouldn't the question be "Do you feel any excessive engine vibrations at low RPM with your NX 200t?" My last car was an electric car and there was zero vibration. The NX is an ICE-based vehicle so there is always going to be some level of vibration. Technically, the results should reflect 100% "Yes. Often"
Yup. The amount of vibration in an ICE is relative to the lift in the cam profile, exercise in the valve train, and the natural unbalance of the engine.

The NX is very smooth, but the Camaro has some natural unbalance as the stock cam in the LS3 is performance oriented, and the new cam I'm putting in will legit shake the car.
Old 11-19-15, 07:28 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Damn, I was literally about to mention this. lol The car is a DUAL cycle car (Otto and Atkinson). While Atkinson is a more efficient cycle, it is unbalanced and is only utilized when the car is NOT under load.
Stop sign gas savings.......
Old 11-19-15, 07:30 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Lexus 2-Liter Engine Architecture
The Lexus in-line, four-cylinder, two-liter engine in the 2015 NX 200t includes a balance shaft with resin gearing. It uses a twin scroll turbocharger. The engine also has an air to liquid intercooler. Fuel is delivered to the engine by both port and also direct injection. The VVT-iW cam and valve timing system can allow the engine to operate in both the Otto and also Atkinson cycles. The exhaust manifold is built into the cylinder head and is cooled to keep exhaust gases from causing too much strain on this super-hot area of the engine. Let’s dive deep into this engine design now and take a closer look at every aspect of what could be the most important Toyota/Lexus engine in a decade.

Final Thoughts on the 2015 Lexus NX Turbo Engine
Having driven, heard, and seen the new Lexus turbocharged 2.0-liter engine we now know why Lexus waited so long to introduce it. It is one of the quietest, most fuel efficient engines of its type, and it is made entirely by Lexus which means that its quality, durability, and reliability will be unrivaled. Look for it to be the mainstay of the Toyota/Lexus line for the next decade or more.
Old 11-19-15, 09:12 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Its a FI 4 pot, dont expect the same smoothness as a v6 etc
Old 11-19-15, 09:49 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, the following questions:

1. Do you have AUTO on the climate control? If this is the case, I would think that you're feeling the compressor running all the time. But, I only feel it when i let off the brake. Why would that change anything if it was coming from the compressor. EDIT: tried a few things. First with ac climate control system off. ~ 650 RPM on brake. ~ 725 RPM off brake. Now with climate control on - RPM are about 725 whether on or off the brake. No matter the status of the climate control system, once I remove my foot from the brake, the car has a vibration.
2. Are you running 91+? If you aren't, you could be feeling the engine running with a little bit of knock. I am actually running 93

When you're saying "vibration", how much are we really talking? One you oddly feel in your foot, or something that makes your teeth move? Somewhere in the middle of your two examples. Its enough that I can feel it in the wheel and my seat

What RPM are you sitting at a stop? Does the RPM move at all once the car starts rolling? (i'm more concerned about it going downward) Will need to recheck RPMs. If anything, going by memory, when i release the brake and feel the vibration, I am recalling seeing the RPMs go up a little - see above in Blue

Old 11-19-15, 09:58 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The reason I asked about the compressor running is because that's another load on your underdrive pulley and extra load on the motor. If its was starving for power (like a fuel injector problem or an ignition coil issue) it would stuggle to run the compressor. Also, keep in mind, your AC compressor is always running when you have AUTO on, regardless if you have the temperature set at 75F or 32F. Its one of the reason I don't like utilizing an AUTO feature.

RPMs seem consistent, though your non-AC brake idle looks a little low.

Is your oil pressure and turbo temp normal? My oil pressure when cold is 32-33psi and upward to 60psi, and when warm, it will go down to 25-27psi. My normal turbo temp is about 180F.

My next suggestion would be to think that you might have a broken motor mount.
Old 11-19-15, 10:30 AM
dadofahusk
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not an f-sport so i dont have access to all of those specs
Old 11-19-15, 11:54 AM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 200t built 11/14, auto is always on. temps have been between 100 and 20. Octane between 87 and 93, I have not noticed any vibration at any time! Could be my nerve endings have changed with age, or my butt is fatter than I thought ! No issues at all.
Old 11-19-15, 02:50 PM
lexinx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Sawcer. That could explain why some people here experienced vibration.

Hey, CorradoMR2, please keep us posted when you take your car in for 16k km maintenance. Curious to know what your SA has to say about the vibration.
Old 11-19-15, 04:49 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
The reason I asked about the compressor running is because that's another load on your underdrive pulley and extra load on the motor. If its was starving for power (like a fuel injector problem or an ignition coil issue) it would stuggle to run the compressor. Also, keep in mind, your AC compressor is always running when you have AUTO on, regardless if you have the temperature set at 75F or 32F. Its one of the reason I don't like utilizing an AUTO feature.

RPMs seem consistent, though your non-AC brake idle looks a little low.

Is your oil pressure and turbo temp normal? My oil pressure when cold is 32-33psi and upward to 60psi, and when warm, it will go down to 25-27psi. My normal turbo temp is about 180F.

My next suggestion would be to think that you might have a broken motor mount.
my engine runs smoother (less vibration) with the compressor on. go figure.
Old 11-20-15, 04:27 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
OP. I know exactly what you're experiencing. It's happened to me from day 1 which I reported in a few threads over time in this forum. The vibration is uncharacteristic of Lexus, regardless of it being a 4 cyl since the CT I had was smooth at all RPMs. I'd say it's more noticeable with cooler temps these days vs over the summer.

Conditions when the vibration occurs:
- 700-800 rpms (all other RPMS smooth)
- If the HVAC is on, slightly more vibration is felt
- engine can be warm or cold
- it is lightly felt with the Brakes engaged with your foot or via the Hold function
- it is more felt as soon as you release the brake and let the car roll before hitting the gas
- it is also felt when coming to a stop getting to the 700-800 rpm range.
- vibration is felt slightly through the seat, more so if you place your hand on the center armrest

For a recent business trip, I had a Ford Fusion rental with the 2L Ecoboost 4 cyl (similar power/torque) and I was surprised at how smooth, vibrationless, and quiet it was especially at lower RPMs.

I have my 16k km maintenance appointment Friday. I will mention this to my SA.

@NX Owner, I'd do a video but there there is no perceptible rpm fluctuation that a video would capture, at least from my NX. RPM is very stable. My guess is an engine mount issue.
could it be your gear box mounting?
Old 11-20-15, 05:06 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

@swacer - it's possible the Atkinson tech has something to do with but then everyone would experience vibration and could be argued "it's by design". But the fact that at this time, a higher 56% of the owners voted for No Vibrations while 44% voted Yes indicates this vibration is clearly not by design.

However, let's see how the numbers play out as the sampling is still fairly small.

Originally Posted by lexinx
Thanks, Sawcer. That could explain why some people here experienced vibration.

Hey, CorradoMR2, please keep us posted when you take your car in for 16k km maintenance. Curious to know what your SA has to say about the vibration.
Will do though it won't be until late next Thursday since the dealer had to reschedule on me since they thought I was only coming in for the 16k km (10k mile) service. The positive in this delay is this poll should garner more votes, making it a more reliable source of information, which I will show to my dealer.

Originally Posted by GS250
could it be your gear box mounting?
Not an expert mechanic and Swacer or anyone else more mechanically-inclined can chime in but if I'd have to guess, it would be with the engine mounts based on the conditions I described earlier.
Old 11-20-15, 05:12 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Mine doesn't vibrate. Mine is a 6/15 build date. Be interesting to ask new IS owners.........

I own a CT200h and my NX is honestly smoother....the CT idles a tad smoother , but drivability the NX is.....otto and atkinson do contribute.
Old 11-20-15, 05:14 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Just tell the dealer it's unacceptable ...they will take it seriously. It might be a fuel injector quick fix type of deal.
Old 11-20-15, 05:35 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No vibration to speak of here (at 4.8k).

Quick Reply: NX 200t Owner Survey - Engine Vibration Poll