NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Hi from Australia!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 05:11 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
I already asked, he said he can't offer it in the price.

I don't know about NSW, but in VIC, the NX is sold out and has a 6 months waiting list... which is why they don't add in a lot of things.
Four month wait in NSW.

Although I was at the service dept reviewing my brake pedal (wobbly) and was shown several NX's being prepped for owners. All had wobbly brake pedals.

Stock is coming in at a rapid rate.

I suspect that with the new RX ( base 200t compatible in price and features to upspec NX), new BMW X1 and new Merc GLC, we'll see sharper pricing with discounts.

I'm sure with the midlife update the Lexus safety plus will become standard on the NX as it now is on the IS, and new RX.
Old 12-10-15, 07:55 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nah, no issues. Lexus likes to update the color palette based on what they feel is best for the model. An article in more detail here: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...trum-of-Choice

Caviar / Graphite Black is a premium metallic paint. You won't be disappointed.
Ah thanks for that link. It was an interesting read.

I'm just surprised that they updated the colours so quickly. If it is a special Lexus take on black, I'm sure I will be very happy. Hopefully it will show the F-sport grille in a gorgeous, but understated way.

Originally Posted by miop4000
Four month wait in NSW.

Although I was at the service dept reviewing my brake pedal (wobbly) and was shown several NX's being prepped for owners. All had wobbly brake pedals.

Stock is coming in at a rapid rate.

I suspect that with the new RX ( base 200t compatible in price and features to upspec NX), new BMW X1 and new Merc GLC, we'll see sharper pricing with discounts.

I'm sure with the midlife update the Lexus safety plus will become standard on the NX as it now is on the IS, and new RX.
Are the pedals aluminium? I hope they are, I would be a little disappointed if they were just rubber ones. Seems like they are from a Google search.

The maxed out NX is 84,000 here in VIC and the RX base model starts at 91,000 here I think.

The BMW X1 is smaller than the NX, but looks great.

The GLC is so ugly, but the GLA looks very nice though, but so small. Like an A-Class on stilts.

Driver assistance is standard on the GLA, minus the DISTRIONIC PLUS adaptive cruise. I think Mercedes is pushing drivers assistance tech across their range. I don't have high expectations on my NX's adaptive cruise TBH, but I hope it surprises me.
Old 12-11-15, 03:07 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

I'm just surprised that they updated the colours so quickly. If it is a special Lexus take on black, I'm sure I will be very happy. Hopefully it will show the F-sport grille in a gorgeous, but understated way.

Are the pedals aluminium? I hope they are, I would be a little disappointed if they were just rubber ones. Seems like they are from a Google search.

The maxed out NX is 84,000 here in VIC and the RX base model starts at 91,000 here I think.

The BMW X1 is smaller than the NX, but looks great.

The GLC is so ugly, but the GLA looks very nice though, but so small. Like an A-Class on stilts.

Driver assistance is standard on the GLA, minus the DISTRIONIC PLUS adaptive cruise. I think Mercedes is pushing drivers assistance tech across their range. I don't have high expectations on my NX's adaptive cruise TBH, but I hope it surprises me.
Adaptive cruise is excellent and a must have in Sydney motorways due to our heavy traffic. Turn on the lane assist also and the car will steer and brake itself.

The satnav is often criticised but it has an updating algorithm that will learn you preferences. My preference is for use of toll ways but it initially avoided them despite setting the preference in the satnav setting.
Take the toll way anyway and next time it will use it. In addition, the traffic information download thru the digital radio is brilliant and the satnav will divert away from traffic if you agree.

Not so great is the auto high beam which will turn off the high beam if it detects any light ahead including bright street lights.
That and the American biased voice control that doesn't seem to understand an Ooostraaaliian accent!
Old 12-11-15, 05:45 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Caviar/Graphite Black is closer to the dark gray-near black F Sport grille than Obsidian/Onyx is. As such, slightly less contrast between the paint and the grille = slightly "less in your face" grille = slightly more understated (if there's such a thing with this car! )

Adaptive cruise is excellent and a must have in Sydney motorways due to our heavy traffic. Turn on the lane assist also and the car will steer and brake itself.
Is it with full-stop and go capability like in the US?
In Canada for instance, DRCC disengages below +-40 km/hr which means the driver has to manually control brake and throttle in slow moving traffic.
Old 12-11-15, 05:57 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I've never had a car with adaptive cruise before so I'm very new to this. So it can steer and follow the car at a distance and also come to a halt. So can I sit with my hands in the air?

The satnav is often criticised but it has an updating algorithm that will learn you preferences. My preference is for use of toll ways but it initially avoided them despite setting the preference in the satnav setting.
Take the toll way anyway and next time it will use it. In addition, the traffic information download thru the digital radio is brilliant and the satnav will divert away from traffic if you agree.
How is the sat nav for general use? Again, I've never had factory sat nav in my previous cars, I have always used my phone.

Not so great is the auto high beam which will turn off the high beam if it detects any light ahead including bright street lights.
That and the American biased voice control that doesn't seem to understand an Ooostraaaliian accent!
The auto high beam does seem to be a bit conservative, doesn't it?

May I ask how does the function work? As I understand it, you need to press the auto high beam button on the dash, then put the car in high beam mode and you can see the auto high beam on the dash.

My question is, can I leave the dash button activated and leave the stalk pushed back (high beam) and in AUTO mode? So essentially, I want the auto high beam to work when the headlights come on automatically without me turning on the feature all the time.

And what is the voice control for? Sat nav and climate control (and obviously telephone)?

Caviar/Graphite Black is closer to the dark gray-near black F Sport grille than Obsidian/Onyx is. As such, slightly less contrast between the paint and the grille = slightly "less in your face" grille = slightly more understated (if there's such a thing with this car! )
Haha the car does look really mean, especially with the F-Sport grille.

I am still eager to see it on the NX, I'm afraid I won't like it. But being such a dark colour there's almost no chance I will hate it!

Is it with full-stop and go capability like in the US?
In Canada for instance, DRCC disengages below +-40 km/hr which means the driver has to manually control brake and throttle in slow moving traffic.
Now I'm also interested. Does the car do stop and go in traffic? And what this limit in Canada? Is that a law?

Also just wondering for Australian NX owners, can the DRL be switched off manually if you want? I know in Canada you can't and USA customers have a "DRL OFF" switch on the stalk. I couldn't see the option to turn it off on the stalk but is there an option on the computer?
Old 12-11-15, 07:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I've never had a car with adaptive cruise before so I'm very new to this. So it can steer and follow the car at a distance and also come to a halt. So can I sit with my hands in the air?

Now I'm also interested. Does the car do stop and go in traffic? And what this limit in Canada? Is that a law?

Steering control is a separate system from DRCC and is called Lane Keep Assist (LKA) here. In some markets LDA (Lane Departure ALert) handles both the audible alert and automatic physical steering input . Here, it must say both LDA and LKA for both features to exist else if it's just LDA, then it's just the alert. Not sure in Australia and might be something you want to look into. Note, the auto steering input is minor adjustments intended for straight line or mild curve-use, not full turns.

If you have DRCC with All-Speed Control, the NX will literally drive itself in a straight-line stop and go traffic - impressive!

Canada... I would think it's legislative preventing the full straight-line driving automation, but something tells me BMW or Audi systems have this. It might just be a feature Lexus Canada left out like the pano roof, 360 view camera, and power folding mirrors.
Old 12-11-15, 11:06 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

How is the sat nav for general use? Again, I've never had factory sat nav in my previous cars, I have always used my phone.

The auto high beam does seem to be a bit conservative, doesn't it?

May I ask how does the function work? As I understand it, you need to press the auto high beam button on the dash, then put the car in high beam mode and you can see the auto high beam on the dash.

My question is, can I leave the dash button activated and leave the stalk pushed back (high beam) and in AUTO mode? So essentially, I want the auto high beam to work when the headlights come on automatically without me turning on the feature all the time.

And what is the voice control for? Sat nav and climate control (and obviously telephone)?

Haha the car does look really mean, especially with the F-Sport grille.

I am still eager to see it on the NX, I'm afraid I won't like it. But being such a dark colour there's almost no chance I will hate it!

Also just wondering for Australian NX owners, can the DRL be switched off manually if you want? I know in Canada you can't and USA customers have a "DRL OFF" switch on the stalk. I couldn't see the option to turn it off on the stalk but is there an option on the computer?
Australian positives with NX:
Adaptive cruise control will stop and restart vehicle.
Yes you can drive hands free on the motor way. Watching the car steer itself is a new experience. Lexus however is Lexus and the system will tell you to take control of the steering wheel or it will turn itself off.
Satnav has photo realistic images of motorway exits for example and directional arrows are superimposed on the road through the HUD. Very cool.
BSM, cross traffic alert and panoramic camera is a must have as seeing out of the back is useless. The panaromic camera also saves the alloy wheels as you can activate individual cameras when parking and assess how close the wheel is to the curb.
Self healing topcoat does work to a point. Got my first stone chip. After a week 60% has cleared. Do have to pour 80 *C water to help process . Would have preferred to use an abrasive compound and follow up with a polish. Quicker.
Yes. Peddles are alloys Look good but prefer full rubber.
Sales dept not great. Sales rep was supposed to drop off gift package. Has''t turned up. Wheel locks not delivered as per contract. Service dept excellent however and major reason I have stuck with Lexus. They will donate a kidney to keep you on the road and happy. And I'm pretty fussy.
Ignore the concerns about the seat bolsters, the seats are super comfy in the fsport. Suspect Americans are very solidly built.
Engine as smooth as butter.

Not so positives
high beam assist is a default setting. Push the high beam stick forward and it activates. Press button to deactivate. Lexus lawyers will be pedantic.
Fuel use is scary. With Sydney fuel prices only outdone by house prices the stated fuel distance is a joke. I can honestly see a class action in the future. Expect 10l/100kms with conservative driving. Give it the boot and it goes to 15l / 100kms. Engine very sweet though and if you really wanted to conserve fuel go for the underpowered 300h.
We don't get direct TPMS which tells individual tyre pressures thats mandated in the US. We get crappy Euro indirect system that only gives a flat tyre symbol. You will need to carry a tyre gauge. Given how expensive Lexus IS in Aus, not impressed.
Voice control activates everything yet in reality does nothing. 'Go to satnav.....did you sat ring 8, go to radio......please say help for further assistance? You get the drift.
Squeaky rear armrest on leather seats. See excellent outline by Corrado in appropriate section.
Useless Lexus enform in Aus. We don't get any of the cool apps and its llaaggyy.
One last point. On coarse chip Australian roads this thing reverberates loudly. In all fairness only our locally built cars,I've found, to really have ever conquered this.
Old 12-12-15, 07:38 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

If you have DRCC with All-Speed Control, the NX will literally drive itself in a straight-line stop and go traffic - impressive!
Thanks for the video! They are very interesting.

Canada... I would think it's legislative preventing the full straight-line driving automation, but something tells me BMW or Audi systems have this. It might just be a feature Lexus Canada left out like the pano roof, 360 view camera, and power folding mirrors.
I am so sorry that you don't even have power folding mirrors! Are you sure about that? I know it's not standard but it is at least an option right?

Australian positives with NX:
Adaptive cruise control will stop and restart vehicle.
Yes you can drive hands free on the motor way. Watching the car steer itself is a new experience. Lexus however is Lexus and the system will tell you to take control of the steering wheel or it will turn itself off.
I think there is a law preventing you to drive autonomously. The Mercedes system also makes you put the hands on the wheel after 10 seconds or so.

Satnav has photo realistic images of motorway exits for example and directional arrows are superimposed on the road through the HUD. Very cool.
BSM, cross traffic alert and panoramic camera is a must have as seeing out of the back is useless. The panaromic camera also saves the alloy wheels as you can activate individual cameras when parking and assess how close the wheel is to the curb.
That is very cool that it does it over the HUD. If you have sat nav on the HUD, do you usually have the centre display showing something else? What do you use the centre display for in between the dials?

Self healing topcoat does work to a point. Got my first stone chip. After a week 60% has cleared. Do have to pour 80 *C water to help process . Would have preferred to use an abrasive compound and follow up with a polish. Quicker.
Yes. Peddles are alloys Look good but prefer full rubber.
So this self healing paint... the brochure wasn't lying HAHA. Is that for all the paint colours?
I like aluminium pedals! I have them on my current car and I love the look of them.

Sales dept not great. Sales rep was supposed to drop off gift package. Has''t turned up. Wheel locks not delivered as per contract. Service dept excellent however and major reason I have stuck with Lexus. They will donate a kidney to keep you on the road and happy. And I'm pretty fussy.
Ignore the concerns about the seat bolsters, the seats are super comfy in the fsport. Suspect Americans are very solidly built.
Engine as smooth as butter.
All my friends told me that Lexus customer service has exceeded their expectation. In my experience, Lexus has the nicest lounge and gave me macarons and European bubbly water. MB, BMW and Audi dealerships had no service and no lounge. Was like shopping at a Toyota/Honda dealership. Lexus customer service asking me for a coffee or tea goes a long way making me feel welcome in the dealership.

Not so positives
high beam assist is a default setting. Push the high beam stick forward and it activates. Press button to deactivate. Lexus lawyers will be pedantic.
Fuel use is scary. With Sydney fuel prices only outdone by house prices the stated fuel distance is a joke. I can honestly see a class action in the future. Expect 10l/100kms with conservative driving. Give it the boot and it goes to 15l / 100kms. Engine very sweet though and if you really wanted to conserve fuel go for the underpowered 300h.
So I think you mean the function resets so I need to press it every time to activate auto high beam.

I did buy the 300h over the 200t.

We don't get direct TPMS which tells individual tyre pressures thats mandated in the US. We get crappy Euro indirect system that only gives a flat tyre symbol. You will need to carry a tyre gauge. Given how expensive Lexus IS in Aus, not impressed.
Is the US system utilising different hardware? Or is our one just the standard TPMS?

Voice control activates everything yet in reality does nothing. 'Go to satnav.....did you sat ring 8, go to radio......please say help for further assistance? You get the drift.
Oh yeah I see. Don't see myself using it much.

Squeaky rear armrest on leather seats. See excellent outline by Corrado in appropriate section.
I wouldn't be happy at all to hear any rattles. Especially when I got the whisper quiet 300h.

Useless Lexus enform in Aus. We don't get any of the cool apps and its llaaggyy.
Do these apps run off my phone's data connection? Is there some app I install on my phone? I have an Android phone so will it work?
Old 12-12-15, 08:09 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

TeaAholic1.

- no power folding mirrors available at all in N.A.. Same with pano roof and 360 camera. Canada does get AVS and HUD that the US does not though.

- My experience with EVERY Lexus vehicle I've owned is there will be various degrees of small squeaks or rattles inside the cabin. However, in southern Canada and northern US, we are exposed to temperature and humidity extremes (-20 C to +40 C) across our 4 seasons as well as being "blessed" with pot-hole-rattle-inducing roads... I believe you have a more consistent warmer climate so you should be better. But, this is the worst of issues on a Lexus which your dealer can also repair most of these annoyances under warranty.

-a note on the TPMS. For N.A. NX's, we can see the individual Tire Pressure readings displayed in the center 4.2in display in addition to the amber warning light on the dash. You're sure you don't have that ?

- a note on the 300h. If this is your first hybrid, to maximize your fuel economy, you must drive a little differently. I can't stress this enough...Use the "pulse and glide" technique as well as other tips as posted here.
Old 12-12-15, 10:59 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Thanks for the video! They are very interesting.

That is very cool that it does it over the HUD. If you have sat nav on the HUD, do you usually have the centre display showing something else? What do you use the centre display for in between the dials?

The centre display shows turn by turn instructions. Main display is standard map (which by the way now has 3D mode like an Audi) and the HUD has an illuminated arrow that flashes just prior to turn.

Is the US system utilising different hardware? Or is our one just the standard TPMS?
The US system known as direct TPMS uses battery operated senses in each wheel. Battery lasts 10 years and it will be an expensive replacement for the owner at that time. This is mandated in the US after a number of serious accidents were found due to under inflated tyres. In Aus we have the indirect system where the ECU compares the tangential speed of each tyre. As the diameter of the tyre decreases with decompression the tangential speed changes and illuminates a tyre warning symbol.

You can tell which system you have by scrolling through the centre information section. The individual tyre screen is absent.

I wouldn't be happy at all to hear any rattles. Especially when I got the whisper quiet 300h.

Sorry but Corrado is right. The price you pay for exceptional engineering is that cost cutting occurs in the cabin. I have owned Toyota Lexus products for many years and yes they all rattle to a point. Just like an Audi or a Merc interior. Ride in an S class of 3 years or older, you will be surprised at the rattles.

If you want rattle free in my experience BMW and Honda make the most solid interiors. Not that you notice in a BMW as most of the time you will be at the dealer. Honda unfortunately have become eyewateringly boring basic cars and we don't get Acura in Australia.

Do these apps run off my phone's data connection? Is there some app I install on my phone? I have an Android phone so will it work?
Yes off your data plan. You download Lexus enform app that allows you to find a destination on the phone then sync it to your car. That's all it does. We don't even have the option of downloading apps like Pandora in Australia. Remember it's LexUS not LexAUS.
Old 12-12-15, 05:04 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

no power folding mirrors available at all in N.A.. Same with pano roof and 360 camera. Canada does get AVS and HUD that the US does not though.
That is very strange. Why is that? It's not even something that is regulated!

- My experience with EVERY Lexus vehicle I've owned is there will be various degrees of small squeaks or rattles inside the cabin. However, in southern Canada and northern US, we are exposed to temperature and humidity extremes (-20 C to +40 C) across our 4 seasons as well as being "blessed" with pot-hole-rattle-inducing roads... I believe you have a more consistent warmer climate so you should be better. But, this is the worst of issues on a Lexus which your dealer can also repair most of these annoyances under warranty.
I just don't think that rattles should be in a premium car, especially in a hybrid where it will be very noticeable in EV mode.

-a note on the TPMS. For N.A. NX's, we can see the individual Tire Pressure readings displayed in the center 4.2in display in addition to the amber warning light on the dash. You're sure you don't have that ?
Well I haven't got my NX yet, but I'm sure someone can confirm. Doesn't seem like we have that.

- a note on the 300h. If this is your first hybrid, to maximize your fuel economy, you must drive a little differently. I can't stress this enough...Use the "pulse and glide" technique as well as other tips as posted here.
I have driven a Prius for an extended time on a road trip with my friend. It was a 2007 Prius. I'm amazed how good condition his battery is after all these years!

Yes off your data plan. You download Lexus enform app that allows you to find a destination on the phone then sync it to your car. That's all it does. We don't even have the option of downloading apps like Pandora in Australia. Remember it's LexUS not LexAUS.
To be fair, we do get folding mirrors as standard and HUD as an option.

Where is this app? I can't find it. I found the iPhone one here:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/lexu...652682175?mt=8

But on Google Play I suspect this is the US app and I can't use it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.enform&hl=en

It says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices."
Old 12-12-15, 06:09 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

The US system known as direct TPMS uses battery operated senses in each wheel. Battery lasts 10 years and it will be an expensive replacement for the owner at that time. This is mandated in the US after a number of serious accidents were found due to under inflated tyres. In Aus we have the indirect system where the ECU compares the tangential speed of each tyre. As the diameter of the tyre decreases with decompression the tangential speed changes and illuminates a tyre warning symbol.
Old 12-12-15, 06:10 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Sorry but Corrado is right. The price you pay for exceptional engineering is that cost cutting occurs in the cabin. I have owned Toyota Lexus products for many years and yes they all rattle to a point. Just like an Audi or a Merc interior. Ride in an S class of 3 years or older, you will be surprised at the rattles.

If you want rattle free in my experience BMW and Honda make the most solid interiors. Not that you notice in a BMW as most of the time you will be at the dealer. Honda unfortunately have become eyewateringly boring basic cars and we don't get Acura in Australia.
Old 12-12-15, 06:34 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I am currently driving the 2013 European Civic hatch and it's very interesting! Build quality is so-so because it is built in the UK...
Old 12-13-15, 12:11 PM
online421
Rookie

I have driven my 300h for 4 months now, clocked 6000kms to date, no rattles at all...

You may change your style of driving after you start owning a 300h, maybe its just me with ageing lol

I like to drive 5km/hr under the speed limit. yes, in 50km/hr zone I drive 45km/hr... the 300h is a really nice when you drive it smoothly (slow)

Quick Reply: Hi from Australia!