NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Hi from Australia!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 07:41 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by online421
You may change your style of driving after you start owning a 300h, maybe its just me with ageing lol

I like to drive 5km/hr under the speed limit. yes, in 50km/hr zone I drive 45km/hr... the 300h is a really nice when you drive it smoothly (slow)
I might crash if I keep staring at the Energy Monitor screen while driving!

How accurate is the speedometer?
Old 12-14-15, 11:51 AM
online421
Rookie

Originally Posted by TeaAholic1
I might crash if I keep staring at the Energy Monitor screen while driving!

How accurate is the speedometer?
the NX does have a lot of gadgetry let make you want to play with when you are driving... We are lucky we have the HUD compare to the US market. I dont look at the Speedometre anymore, most of the stuff I need to know are on the HUD, such as the energy monitor, GPS for direction and speed.

I will do a speedo test tonight. but my gut feeling is that the speedo is faster than you actually are.

in the past I have noticed I am doing 50-52km/hr but the GPS is showing I am doing 47-49km/hr
Old 12-14-15, 12:29 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

the NX does have a lot of gadgetry let make you want to play with when you are driving... We are lucky we have the HUD compare to the US market. I dont look at the Speedometre anymore, most of the stuff I need to know are on the HUD, such as the energy monitor, GPS for direction and speed.

I will do a speedo test tonight. but my gut feeling is that the speedo is faster than you actually are.

in the past I have noticed I am doing 50-52km/hr but the GPS is showing I am doing 47-49km/hr
For a more accurate speedometre test, if your highway has km markings (either signs or road markings), then drive at a steady 60 km/h (use automatic speed control) and start a stopwatch as your cross the initial km marker. When you get to the second marker, stop the timer.

The distance covered is 1 km and, driving at 60 km/h, your elapsed time should be 60 seconds (one minute).

If your time is less than that, then your speedometre is showing a lower speed than you are actually traveling. If your timing is more than 60 sec, then your speedometre is showing a higher speed than you are actually traveling.

For example, if your timing was 58 seconds, your actual speed was 62.07 km/h, not 60 km/h. If your timing was 62 seconds, your actual speed was 58.06 km/h.

Formula:

speed = distance ÷ time

So, for 58 seconds, the formula becomes:

Code:
speed = 1 km ÷ 58 secs
      = 0.01724 km/s
Now, to convert that to km/h, simple multiply by 60 (to get from seconds to minutes) and multiply again by 60 (to get from minutes to hours). Therefore ...

Code:
km/h = 0.01724 km/s x 60 x 60
     = 62.06 km/h
Finally, this procedure works for any distance at any speed. For example, if you know the start and end of a 500 m segment of road, you could use that. You can also drive at 30 km/h for the test—simply substitute the values in the formula and adjust it accordingly.
Old 12-14-15, 03:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^ The speedometer is typically more optimistic than the HUD which means it will usually indicate a slightly faster speed than actual. When I had the summer 22" wheel/tires which had a larger rolling diameter by about 3.5% over the 18" OEM wheel/tires, it rotated "slower" making the speedometer virtually a match to what the HUD displayed. Now that I'm on the 18"s, at 100 kph on the HUD, the speedometer indicates 102-103 kph without parallax factors.

PS. The RX's HUD was GPS and gyro-sensor based. I believe the NX is no different. from my experience.

Old 12-15-15, 06:24 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

I am so happy that I optioned it up with a HUD. I currently drive a Honda Civic with a high-mounted LED speedometer and after using it, I can't drive any other car with analogue dials.

I like the energy monitor on the central display on the console. It's nice and big. Hopefully the small screen in-between the dials will also be sufficient.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
PS. The RX's HUD was GPS and gyro-sensor based. I believe the NX is no different. from my experience.
That's very interesting. I would have though that the HUD would get the data from the computer system, the same system that the analogue speedometer gets its speed from. I didn't know it used the GPS.

If the GPS is more accurate, why doesn't the analogue speedometer use that too?
Old 12-15-15, 12:00 PM
NXOwner
Racer

I don't believe the GPS is more accurate.
Old 12-15-15, 12:12 PM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I don't believe the GPS is more accurate.
A GPS calculation will beat a car's speedometer every time. It does require a GPS signal, though.

http://gpssystems.net/accurate-gpsbased-speedometer/
Old 12-15-15, 12:50 PM
online421
Rookie

I am so happy that I optioned it up with a HUD. I currently drive a Honda Civic with a high-mounted LED speedometer and after using it, I can't drive any other car with analogue dials.

I like the energy monitor on the central display on the console. It's nice and big. Hopefully the small screen in-between the dials will also be sufficient.

That's very interesting. I would have though that the HUD would get the data from the computer system, the same system that the analogue speedometer gets its speed from. I didn't know it used the GPS.

the central monitor is nice, I use it as a map if I am in a new area. my central monitor "home" is set to default where left side of the screen is the map, top right is the music, bottom right is the fuel consumption. I keep the small screen between the dials as the energy monitor, its sufficient.
Old 12-15-15, 12:51 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the GPS is more accurate, but there is a lag. As you speed up, the GPS lags by a second or two where the speedometer does not have this lag. In steady state driving, the GPS should be accurate. I have not checked the Lexus, but all Toyotas that I've owned in the past were off by 2 - 3 mph at highway speeds. All indicated a higher speed than actual. The Fords I've owned were only off 1 - 2 mph.
Old 12-15-15, 12:53 PM
cssaus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
A GPS calculation will beat a car's speedometer every time. It does require a GPS signal, though.

http://gpssystems.net/accurate-gpsbased-speedometer/
My previous car was a CT200h.

I was never really happy with the quality of the SATNAV so whenever I was on the highway I used my TomTom.

The TomTom clearly indicated that the car's speedometer was about 4-5km under speed when the TomTOm said I was driving at 110km per hour.

Haven't really had a chance to observe if there really is any speed differential between the car's speedo & the speed displayed by HUD.
Old 12-15-15, 01:25 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by 15LexNX2t
Caveat: Many GPS units are unable to account for changes in vertical direction, so may be less accurate if you are travelling up or down a steep hill.
Old 12-16-15, 09:02 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

the central monitor is nice, I use it as a map if I am in a new area. my central monitor "home" is set to default where left side of the screen is the map, top right is the music, bottom right is the fuel consumption. I keep the small screen between the dials as the energy monitor, its sufficient.
Ahh I see. That is a very good setup I assume I can set what each corner does?
I will be sure to use your tips.

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Caveat: Many GPS units are unable to account for changes in vertical direction, so may be less accurate if you are travelling up or down a steep hill.
Yes, you are very right. However, I think that GPS can also account for the elevation and adjust the speed accordingly.

I just came back from my dealer today, they said the car will be coming first week in Jan so I still have to wait until 2016!
Old 12-17-15, 12:23 PM
online421
Rookie

Ahh I see. That is a very good setup I assume I can set what each corner does?
I will be sure to use your tips.

Yes, you are very right. However, I think that GPS can also account for the elevation and adjust the speed accordingly.

I just came back from my dealer today, they said the car will be coming first week in Jan so I still have to wait until 2016!
Yes you are correct, you can customise the screen.

wait until you see the screen on the new LX570, the monstrosity of it made my NX screen look puny...
Old 12-18-15, 06:32 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Yes you are correct, you can customise the screen.

wait until you see the screen on the new LX570, the monstrosity of it made my NX screen look puny...
I have seen the new 12-inch screen on the new RX. It's nice, but it looks a little ostentatious.