Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 speed transmission

Any chance the NX will get this ?
Old 12-10-15, 04:09 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinhead
Unlikely. Toyota doesn't usually change transmission mid cycle. Different size will require a extensive redesign to fit it in the NX. I do think the nx's biggest weakness is the transmission though, and lets not even talk about the CVT, that thing should burn in a fire and die. The BMW ZF-8 speed is bliss. Almost as good as the twin clutch in my M3.
That's not true. The 2013 GS350 had a 6-speed and it changed to an 8-speed for the 2014MY.
So it could be next year...or the refresh.
Old 12-11-15, 03:56 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't personally think a 8 speed is a good idea for the small 4 cylinder in this car. You already have the situation where it wants to shift to 5th or 6th on a flat road, and when you put your foot down, you notice that it bogs itself down and sits there confused for a moment before it determines it is time to shift down. Imagine adding 2 more gears. I think you would maybe find the car using 7th on the highway at 75mph, but would rarely ever see 8th due to the lack of torque.
Old 12-11-15, 04:37 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You obviously would have to change the gearing, but by how much? When you go to extra gears, you usually have to go down in ratio, which also takes away torque. So if your car is already a torqueless wonder....how is that going to get better with a lower ratio?

The only way to fix that would be to make short/tall gears for 1st and 2nd, which means that car will instantly fall on its face because of a need to shift.

Honestly, for the 1mpg or whatever you gain by adding a 7th or 8th gear, its not worth it. All a fad.

Finally, I wouldn't try anything from Mercedes, or BMW, or anything german for that sake, because I prefer to get places, not broken down with expensive repair bills.
Old 12-11-15, 05:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
You obviously would have to change the gearing, but by how much? When you go to extra gears, you usually have to go down in ratio, which also takes away torque. So if your car is already a torqueless wonder....how is that going to get better with a lower ratio?

The only way to fix that would be to make short/tall gears for 1st and 2nd, which means that car will instantly fall on its face because of a need to shift.

Honestly, for the 1mpg or whatever you gain by adding a 7th or 8th gear, its not worth it. All a fad.

Finally, I wouldn't try anything from Mercedes, or BMW, or anything german for that sake, because I prefer to get places, not broken down with expensive repair bills.
I'm in favor of going back to 3 and 4 speed automatics. This whole 6+ speed thing is a fad. Lol.
Old 12-11-15, 05:55 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm in favor of going back to 3 and 4 speed automatics. This whole 6+ speed thing is a fad. Lol.
My sequoia has a 4 speed. All in favor of 4 speeds, say I lol.
Old 12-11-15, 06:25 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NX does not need more gears, it needs a clutch pedal
Old 12-11-15, 11:16 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

Totally agree with the Euro comment. Gave up on the Euro's as got sick and tired of sitting in their lounges waiting for the cars to be fixed. If I want to be ignored I'll spend time with my teenage kids.
Good luck with the Macan. Gorgeous car particularly in blue. Goes like a stuck pig. Hope the coffees are good in their lounges. It's actually a VW Q5 with comparable reliability according to consumer reports.
Old 12-11-15, 12:09 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

thats assuming the car retains the same final drive, which it wouldn't.
extra gears is never a bad thing. the only downside is weight and cost. In terms of gear hunting when throttle input is changed, that's just Toyota's fault for not knowing how to program the relationship between transmission and engine.
The 6-speed auto is just horrible on this car. It can't decide what gears it wants to be half the time, and when you add throttle the downshift is one of the slowest I've ever felt. Go try the zf-8 or the 7-speed mct from Mercedes. Lexus is just too far behind vs the Germans in terms of drivertrain. Lets not even mention the twin clutch or the fact that the Macan comes with it as a standard option. Can't wait for my Macan to arrive.
The Macan is a nice car, but have fun paying for the maintainence. Friend has one and his last service was $800+ and he doesn't have too many miles and nothing was broken.
Old 12-11-15, 12:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Totally agree with the Euro comment. Gave up on the Euro's as got sick and tired of sitting in their lounges waiting for the cars to be fixed. If I want to be ignored I'll spend time with my teenage kids.
Good luck with the Macan. Gorgeous car particularly in blue. Goes like a stuck pig. Hope the coffees are good in their lounges. It's actually a VW Q5 with comparable reliability according to consumer reports.
Macan is a cousin of the SQ5 with different engine, suspension etc. options etc. Different demographic and performance expectations on both vs. Q5, NX, GLC, X3 and similar CUV's.
Old 12-11-15, 10:59 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

The NX is my first and probably last Japanese car. I've had nothing but German cars and Ive never been disappointed and Ive never waited in a lounge waiting for my car to be fixed. Matter fact I've never even spent a penny fixing the 4 German cars I've had prior to the NX. The Macan will be my 3rd Porsche and every time I purchase a new one Im just more impressed.

Again, its not my first Porsche, and it won't be my last. The maintenance cost doesn't bother me. Its part of the cost of ownership, expected from a $100k car.
No offense guys, but I would also probably be disappointed if the NX was my first Japanese car experience...
Old 12-12-15, 06:16 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had nothing but German cars and Ive never been disappointed and Ive never waited in a lounge waiting for my car to be fixed. Matter fact I've never even spent a penny fixing the 4 German cars I've had prior to the NX.
Every car is different, certainly, but I had 3 MB's in a row, all new. '98 E, '01 C, and '03 E--I never waited in the lounge--they told me to take the loaner home and they'd call me when the "module for my car" arrived from Germany. Fourth Lexus now, and absolutely never had an issue or need to go for repairs or recall--just the normal service windows. (400h, IS 350, ES 300h, NX 200t). I'd have a hard time justifying another MB. But best of luck.
Old 12-16-15, 08:12 PM
Futpurch
Driver School Candidate

I can probably wait until 2017 or 2018. I am driving a sedan for now but want to switch to a small or midsize crossover. I will prob be looking at rdx, nx, x3, q5, glc.
Old 12-17-15, 04:13 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the typical German car driving dynamics but get frustrated with the repairs and lack of reliablity .

When I needed a small wagon type car I drove them all and chose the Audi Q3, however the car optioned the way I wanted was not available so I went to my 2nd choices, the NX and the Lincoln MKc. I liked the power of the Lincoln at 280 hp. Noticeably more powerful then the Lexus, more responsive, more features for the same cost (lease). However I did not like the push button transmission from the late 1960's and the seats offered little support.

Chose the NX
Old 12-18-15, 10:49 AM
chandlervt
Driver

Please ask me how good are German cars.

1) My friends new ML350 won't let him open gas cap or pump gas. It "thought" tank is full . He had to tow it to dealer.
2) My own Mini (although UK made its still BS BMW engineering) - death rattle in timing chain, rubber siding fell off twice - in the end I told service tech i will use krazy glue and it worked. Won't let you shift from 3rd to 2nd at more than 4k rpm (this is the Sversion!).
Had check engine light on - twice for no god damn reason.
3) My friends 2013 3 series - check engine light on - had to change torque converter (luckily under warranty). Also when we went to test drive a CPO diesel - the check engine light was on. The sales guy said - oh some times when it is sitting on the lot it can happen. Really?! So If i go on vacation and come back, I can get a check engine light?
4) Another friend has A6- same crap- torque converter.

I can go on but you get the drift. German cars are great to drive but eventually you get tired of seeing that check engine light. My sister has a GLK and she loves it - never had an issue. But that doesn't change the overall quality of German cars. Also, MB charges $350 or more for yearly service. No thanks!!

Quick Reply: 8 speed transmission