NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Replacing rear view mirror (inner mirror assy)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 03:35 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear view mirror (inner mirror assy)

Anyone has experience replacing the inner rear view mirror? Mine is base with auto-dimming and I want to switch to Gentex with homelink (runs about $250 on Amazon). Seems like replacing should be simple as long as the base mirror (with auto dim feature) has a cable running in to it. I can't see the cable behind the mirror. It should be a simple one screw job. Remove screw, detach cable, get new mirror, attach cable and attach screw.
Old 12-14-15, 11:15 AM
palooka23
Driver School Candidate

I am looking to do the same but have read on one discussion here of a person that bought a generic mirror and had to have a reconfigured harness that needed to be tucked under headliner to work properly.
I contacted the harness guy (Bobs Mirrors) and he indicated that they do have plug and play mirrors, but they are not readily available. He recommended the modified harness approach.

I have not followed up with him to confirm a part number for direct plug and play.

If you are successful in finding a direct replacement with homelink, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-15, 12:00 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring for the auto dim is already there if you look.

I've found on my RC-F several of the options that I didn't buy have all the wiring already present.

Found the same on my wife's 2007 Camry, She didn't have the compass/auto dim mirror, but the wiring was there, we bought the correct one for her car from a wrecker on ebay and plugged it in and added a fuse in the fuse panel for it and it all worked with no other modifications.

seems that Lexus/Toyota subscribes to the line of thinking 1 harness for all models is cheaper than making different harnesses for different features.
Old 12-14-15, 01:50 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Not sure about generic mirrors but Gentex manufactures OEM parts for most companies. Lexus is listed on their site. I saw in Subaru Forester that mirror has the name Gentex on it and looks exactly like the one I have in Rx350 (but RX350 does not have any name). If the current base mirror is also manufactured by Gentex, then it should be pretty simple. I wasn't able to find the part # for the lexus OEM mirror so that I can look up instructions. The base mirror part # is 87810 - 0WG90. Its scary that it costs $600!!! Nonsense for a base mirror with auto dimming.

I can only assume that wiring is somehow hidden in the arm and I will see it only if I unscrew it. My wife won't let me do it as it is her car and is afraid I will mess it up. Plus she doesn't care for the mirror either but its annoying to reach for garage door opener. Seriously, its a $15 part - how about making it standard?
Old 12-14-15, 07:59 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Does anyone have the part #? If someone with the homelink mirror can post the part # that will be great. You can also take a picture and post it. Something like this.

Old 12-16-15, 09:51 AM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just detach the current mirror to find the wire. you can easily remove the mirror and put it back in less than a minute.
Old 12-16-15, 12:04 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

does the NX use the same mirror as the RC?

can you take a picture of the front of yours?

the RC is a frameless mirror with the homelink buttons on the bottom:

Old 12-16-15, 03:15 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Originally Posted by bionictony
just detach the current mirror to find the wire. you can easily remove the mirror and put it back in less than a minute.
Thanks. I will give it a try. When you say detach, are you talking about the mount screw? There is only one screw. If so, then its pretty easy.

However, I wanted to see what is the part # if I order OEM mirror instead of Gentex - just to avoid the headache of wiring harness mismatch. My 2015 RX350 mirror is Gentex (and its says "Gentex" ). Not sure about NX. If anyone has the mirror, it will be good to know the part #.

Last edited by chandlervt; 12-16-15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 03:24 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
does the NX use the same mirror as the RC?

can you take a picture of the front of yours?

the RC is a frameless mirror with the homelink buttons on the bottom:

I am pretty sure its not the same as RC. It looks like Gentex version. Check it out here

http://www.autoline.tv/journal-wp-co...8128612491.jpg
Old 12-16-15, 04:53 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chandlervt
I am pretty sure its not the same as RC. It looks like Gentex version. Check it out here

http://www.autoline.tv/journal-wp-co...8128612491.jpg

the RCF is a gentex, just a different frameless design.

Gentex GENK85

http://www.northshorecommercialdoor....ufrmi50wi.html

the GENK85a adds the compass

I actually love the mirror is it very classy looking compared to the clunky one I had in my last car.

Last edited by mjeds; 12-16-15 at 05:01 PM.