NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)
View Poll Results: Your NX - Is it the household family hauler or not?
Yes, it's our household family hauler
51.72%
No, I have another vehicle used as the family hauler or need to get a bigger one
10.34%
No, I don't have a famiy
37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

NX Owner Survey - Family Hauler or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 04:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Default NX Owner Survey - Family Hauler or Not?

So with various surveys on buyer age, male/female ownership, and NX color preference among others, how about its use as a family hauler? Is it big enough or too small? Or perhaps you don't have a family and just bought it as your personal vehicle?

Vote and comment below!
Old 12-13-15, 05:10 PM
mbgoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

family of 4.
Old 12-13-15, 06:06 PM
jayy178
Rookie

yes because we have a family of 3 with an infant so very easy for this car to be the go-to family car
Old 12-13-15, 06:42 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm one of the few that use the NX as it was intended; since it is has roots of a SPORT Utility Vehicle, I use it for sport and utility—not as a modern-day family station wagon!

My kids are grown, so now I have time for body-boarding, mountain biking, and snowboarding. The first accessory(s) that I bought were the WeatherTech floor and cargo liners. I've also already installed a receiver hitch and am now shopping around for a bike and snowboard rack.

Last edited by NXOwner; 12-13-15 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-13-15, 09:20 PM
burr1t0
Driver School Candidate

Family of 4 here. 3 year old and a 3 month old. The NX is my daily driver and the family hauler if we're just driving around town. The NX has the perfect amount of space for us, but we also have a 13 RX (the wife's car) that we use if we need the extra room.
Old 12-13-15, 09:42 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

family of 4 provides plenty of room

if you're a family of 5 and one requires a car seat or booster, then things in the back get cramped, and seatbelts are a pain due to locations
Old 12-14-15, 02:48 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted yes, BUT, I would probably need to rent something bigger for a week long trip to the beach. We are a family of four with a 13 and an 8 year old. With everything you need for a week long beach trip, its too small.

But 90% of our daily needs are easily met. $200-300 grocery trips take a bit of "pack-engineering" in the back, but it can be done...without smashing the bread or eggs.
Old 12-14-15, 03:59 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I voted NO to align with what I've said in previous threads. Right now, we have a family of "four", being my wife, myself, a 45lb boy Wheaten, and a 37lb girl Wheaten. No human child at this point, though its not far off.

On normal days, this is my daily driver, and I find that I am able to fit anything I need with no problem.

However, you run into situations like this: Went grocery shopping at Whole Foods yesterday,fit in 5 reusable bags, plus 3 1gal containers of water, then got a new 45lb bag of dog food, and there was no room in the car left. Keep in mind, I am only applying the space BELOW the rear hatch cover. I actually had to put the dog food behind the front passenger seat. There is also the material seat cover I use for the rear seat for the dogs back in the hatch too (rolled up in a corner). Either way, that's really sad for the car to be "full" at that point.

Furthermore, on our vacation, my girl dog likes to sit in the front with my wife, and my boy dog sits in the back seat. After having 2 suitcases and various other camping/dog items, the entire NX was filled to the roof in the back, and all floor in the backseat was spoken for. The entire car was full, and I'm a VERY efficient packer. If there was a kid involved, I don't know what I would have done. There certainly was no room for a stroller or any child items at that point.

The car is what it is, but I believe I sized it a little too small for my needs.

Last edited by Swacer; 12-14-15 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 05:30 AM
CybrRdr
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The NX is ideal for our current lifestyle... Dual Income No Kids. We also live in the city so the size is perfect for urban driving. Eventually we will be moving out to the suburbs, start a family, and maybe then we will upgrade to a MDX or the rumored 3 row RX.
Old 12-14-15, 07:39 AM
LNXT200
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

family of four, two kids oldest is 7 youngest is 2. We keep a stroller in the trunk always so I found the trunk too small if I'm going to do grocery shopping, not even mention if we want to go to the beach. So I use it mostly for myself, and the wife's Murano for everything else as a family car.
Old 12-14-15, 11:38 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow. What do Americans take to the beach. A foldable sun hatch for the kids and some drinks is what's usually needed in Australia. Not a lot to pack. My issue with the beach is getting sand on the lovely Roja red leather interior.

We also have Cosco and packing 3 months supply for a family of 4 is fine. Just lower the back seats. Is Cosco really a family outing?

If you need more space a roof pod is available or roof racks/hitch for bikes. Using roof racks is great because it's a low vehicle.

What I'm saying is this is an incredibly versatile vehicle. For 90% of driving which is usually done alone or to take the kids to school it's a perfect size. If you want more room that it can be configured.

I do agree, if you have 3 kids with boosters or child seats then yes it's too small.

I would like to see a CT based SUV. I think Americans are the only ones that want a 3 rower.
Old 12-14-15, 01:08 PM
qiphlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my girls are 14 and 22. the older girl has her own car, so it's usually just the younger one in the back. we've done costco runs with no problem, and overnight ski trips are easy, too (had to get the roof rack to carry skis/boards).
Old 12-15-15, 04:24 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of space for loading up with luggage or even bicycles. A quiet, comfortable long distance hauler. I just wish there was some "sport" in SUV.
Old 12-16-15, 03:42 PM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

It depended on the size of the family. Me , I'm no income no kids. swacer, if your a dog lover you will quickly realize the kid goes up on the roof rack, that's why you bought the cross bars isn' it ? It wil toughen them up!
Old 12-16-15, 05:23 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimp
It depended on the size of the family. Me , I'm no income no kids. swacer, if your a dog lover you will quickly realize the kid goes up on the roof rack, that's why you bought the cross bars isn' it ? It wil toughen them up!
I certainly am. My wife is worse than I am. She wants to add a bull terrier too lol

And I debated putting a kid on the roof. I figure sunglasses and a rain jacket, all weather issues solved lol

Quick Reply: NX Owner Survey - Family Hauler or Not?