NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 08:54 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Issue

Ok, so this may come as a silly question, but how do I check if my NX is equipped with the TPMS feature? I have the "Premier" version which is equipped with most features except the radar related features (Blind-Spot monitoring, Lane Departure, 360 camera etc).

Trouble is that I can see the TPMS option under the settings tab of the MID (and it does "recalibrate" when I hold the centre button) but when I go back to the information tab, the tyre pressure info screen is blank, nothing shows there, it's just an empty screen.

I find this rather strange, why would they give an option to recalbrate if the vehicle is not equipped with the feature?
Old 01-24-16, 06:17 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by satlawyer
Ok, so this may come as a silly question, but how do I check if my NX is equipped with the TPMS feature? I have the "Premier" version which is equipped with most features except the radar related features (Blind-Spot monitoring, Lane Departure, 360 camera etc).

Trouble is that I can see the TPMS option under the settings tab of the MID (and it does "recalibrate" when I hold the centre button) but when I go back to the information tab, the tyre pressure info screen is blank, nothing shows there, it's just an empty screen.

I find this rather strange, why would they give an option to recalbrate if the vehicle is not equipped with the feature?
There are 2 TPMS systems. US models are mandated to have the direct system that provides individual tyre pressures from individual sensors. Expensive and fragile system.
Everywhere else get the indirect system where the ECU monitors relative tangential speeds per tyre. With deflation this speed changes and the flat tyre symbol appears. You need to carry a pressure gauge to work out which tyre is a problem.
Old 01-24-16, 10:25 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
[...direct system is a...]fragile system.
My last two vehicles have had the "direct" (as you call it) system and I beg to differ on your fragile comment. I've never had any issues with them and I rotate the tires regularly.
Old 01-24-16, 10:39 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
My last two vehicles have had the "direct" (as you call it) system and I beg to differ on your fragile comment. I've never had any issues with them and I rotate the tires regularly.
The sensors are inside the wheel. The damage tends to occur when a new tyre is installed not the wheel rotated.
The US mandated this system after a number of nasty accidents were put down to deflated tyres.
It is a pity that Lexus chooses not to be a safety leader and use this system internationally. It will cut costs where possible.
A similar situation is the panaromic camera system which I think is compulsory in a vehicle with so many blind spots.
Old 01-24-16, 10:44 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
The sensors are inside the wheel. The damage tends to occur when a new tyre is installed not the wheel rotated.
The US mandated this system after a number of nasty accidents were put down to deflated tyres.
It is a pity that Lexus chooses not to be a safety leader and use this system internationally. It will cut costs where possible.
A similar situation is the panaromic camera system which I think is compulsory in a vehicle with so many blind spots.
My comment on the tire rotation was in reference to the fact that I've never had an issue with resetting these upon rotation. The mechanical measurement system (via tire circumference/speed) needs no resetting when rotating. I like the TPMS systems where the sensor is inside the tire (like what was in my previous two cars and my NX). I've never had an issue with them.
Old 01-25-16, 04:53 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars in the US have to have a low pressure monitoring system but it does not have to show actual pressure. Many low priced cars simply show a light when one tire is different the the others. Such as one tire being 29 while the others are 36 but if all the tires are 29 it will not light the warning