NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Power Liftgate questions/issues (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 11:33 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just take pictures, send it back to the dealer and insist they do more than just grease some stuff up.
I've had mine on the highest setting for more than 2 years with no issue now.
Old 08-23-17, 05:00 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to take a photo of it if it happens again between now and when you take it back to the dealer.
Also demand they replace the struts on both sides as well.
Old 09-10-18, 03:35 PM
bhuppert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift gate problem

Can the lift gate be stopped on the way down if it hits an object
Old 09-10-18, 05:49 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bhuppert
Can the lift gate be stopped on the way down if it hits an object
I know from experience that if it can't close because something is out a little too far it will stop - didn't take much either, just seemed to touch the box that was out a little and the lift gate stopped.
Old 09-10-18, 06:08 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I think so just press the button I think
Old 09-11-18, 06:42 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, hit the button and it will stop
Old 09-11-18, 07:14 AM
bhuppert
Driver School Candidate

Default lift gate problem

I was taking out a package from the back of the 2016 lexus nx200T when the lift gate was closing. It hit my arm and would not stop. I managed to remove my arm in the last seconds before the lift gate closed. I could not stop the lift gate from closing using all my strength to stop it.
Old 09-11-18, 10:02 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Might want to have the dealer look at it, mine does stop if I hold an arm up and keep it rigid

Manual:

● If anything obstructs the power back door while opening, a buzzer will sound and the
power back door will stop immediately. If anything obstructs the power back door while
closing, a buzzer will sound and the power back door will automatically move slightly in
the opposite direction and then stop.
Old 09-16-20, 05:30 AM
nexus86
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Tailgate issues

Bought my 2015 about 6 weeks ago, and since then have had consistent issues with the tail gate.

quite often when opening, it will open 1-3 inches and then stop. I can use the power button to close and try again and it normally opens as it should. Sometimes I have to manually push it close and retry the button.

less often, when the tailgate is open, I will push the button to close and it won’t, it will just stay open. After trying with the power button several times, it will close.

Parts for the tailgate are very pricey, so throwing parts at the problem isn’t desirable.

anyone else have similar issues? Maybe a solution?
Old 09-18-20, 06:24 AM
aaroneous
Driver School Candidate

Default Certified 2017 nx200t F

Just scooped up the new car a couple days back. The rear lift gate feels like its grinding and its a bit choppy when it gets to the bottom. I assume it'll give out (really doesn't sound good). Maybe linked?
Old 09-18-20, 06:28 AM
nexus86
Rookie

Mine doesn’t do that.

however, I did reach out to the brother in law who is friends with a Lexus tech. They can scan the vehicle and tell which liftgate actuator is bad.

I have ordered “tech stream” so I can scan my vehicle myself .

either way, each lift gate actuator is about $500 CAD each.
Old 11-17-20, 03:32 PM
glennar
Driver School Candidate

I have had this trouble intermittently for the past couple years. Of course when I have taken it in for service and mention this problem, they can't replicate the issue. Happened again and drove to dealership, service advisor came to check and thankfully it wouldn't open for him either. It unlatches but won't lift; I have had to manually push it closed which is difficult. They ran a diagnostic on it and found history codes for "right hand screw motor." They did not replace as it was working fine when it warmed up in the shop and they couldn't replicate. This is the suspected problem.
Old 11-18-20, 04:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We are getting a grinding noise when the lift gate is closing, the problem comes and goes. Does the NX have a batch of bad lift gate actuators? Is there a Lexus TSB?
Old 11-22-20, 12:07 PM
nexus86
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
We are getting a grinding noise when the lift gate is closing, the problem comes and goes. Does the NX have a batch of bad lift gate actuators? Is there a Lexus TSB?
I have researched this extensively, there is a TSB, I don’t think for the NX but for some other models. Lexus / Toyota has been having this issue on a number of vehicles: Rav4, highlander, RX, NX, among others. This isn’t what I would normally expect from this brand.

that said, I was mistaken with my figure above, the units run $1000 per side CAD from the dealer and about 5-600 off eBay.

I picked up a used laptop and a copy of Techstream for $30, this allowed me to read the code, B2227 and B2229 both for the right side lift gate motor. I have not come across as way to repair them.

I spoke to a tech at a dealer I know, as well as a parts guy. Seems to be a common problem.

just wish they would cut the price on them to sub $200.
Old 11-24-20, 05:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by nexus86
I have researched this extensively, there is a TSB, I don’t think for the NX but for some other models. Lexus / Toyota has been having this issue on a number of vehicles: Rav4, highlander, RX, NX, among others. This isn’t what I would normally expect from this brand.

that said, I was mistaken with my figure above, the units run $1000 per side CAD from the dealer and about 5-600 off eBay.

I picked up a used laptop and a copy of Techstream for $30, this allowed me to read the code, B2227 and B2229 both for the right side lift gate motor. I have not come across as way to repair them.

I spoke to a tech at a dealer I know, as well as a parts guy. Seems to be a common problem.

just wish they would cut the price on them to sub $200.
Thanks for the response. The problem seem to went away by itself after a week, not sure why and how. No sense bringing it to the dealer at this point, maybe I will mention it on the next oil change. thanks.

Quick Reply: Power Liftgate questions/issues (Merged threads)