NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Power Liftgate questions/issues (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 12:47 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I wipe down and spray lube on the linear actuators every now and then, makes then run smoother and quieter.
Old 11-29-20, 05:48 AM
dtown40
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems to be a common occurence in Toyota Highlanders for years. The Highlanders have a lower trim model that doesn't offer a power liftgate, and someone posted that he replaced the power struts with the manual struts that worked perfectly and saved thousands. I'm not certain if that is an option for the Lexus or not.
Old 07-18-21, 12:56 PM
hotnordic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liftgate won't open

NX200 '15- Power lift gate won't open when fob, or dash button depressed. I get one longish beep, no hatch action. I can manually open the hatch from the outside with the handle, and it will unlatch, but not raise more than an inch or two, with the hydraulics keeping it from raising further. Again, one long beep.

I scoured the posts on here, trying the following that was suggested in the various posts on the subject:
  • unlocking all of the doors, and trying trying the lift gate dash and remote buttons
  • verifying the power gate setting is "on" in the menu between the gauges, and cycling on and off to be sure.
  • verifying the gate height is at "5" in the car settings menu on the center dash display. Cycling through 1 and 5 just to be sure.
  • tried locating the elusive "lift gate lock" button on the edge of the glovebox opening, under its lid (there isn't one). Is it elsewhere on this model?
  • tried to see if "Valet mode" was somehow defeating it, but it has never been set up, and is confirmed off
Any other ideas? Thanks!

Dave
Old 07-19-21, 08:30 AM
gompka
Racer

Pop the liftgate with the manual handle outside, then carefully raise it up manually all the way to the top. Try to hit the button to close it, if it doesn't close, then slowly manually push it down and get it to lock. Then try to open it again. When I damaged my sharkfin and had to get it replaced, the hatch was taken off to help with the repair, when I put it back on I had to do this sequence to get the car to automatically raise/lower the lift gate.
Old 07-19-21, 08:34 AM
hotnordic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gompka
Pop the liftgate with the manual handle outside, then carefully raise it up manually all the way to the top. Try to hit the button to close it, if it doesn't close, then slowly manually push it down and get it to lock. Then try to open it again. When I damaged my sharkfin and had to get it replaced, the hatch was taken off to help with the repair, when I put it back on I had to do this sequence to get the car to automatically raise/lower the lift gate.
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will say it is VERY difficult to move open past the inch or so it currently does. I haven't tried for fear of screwing up the hydraulics or whatever is holding it closed. Fairly sure it's ok to do?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 07-19-21, 08:41 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by hotnordic
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will say it is VERY difficult to move open past the inch or so it currently does. I haven't tried for fear of screwing up the hydraulics or whatever is holding it closed. Fairly sure it's ok to do?

Thanks!

Dave
Yes, they are just linear actuators with a high ratio gearbox, it won't be easy but just pull up slowly you will feel it start to move, once you get it going it will ease up a bit, just go slow.
The following users liked this post:
hotnordic (07-19-21)
Old 05-11-23, 01:55 PM
Biojoe
10th Gear

Default Rear Lift gate problem

2021/NX 300h; Has anyone had this issue: rear lift gate only opens an inch each time the button on the lift gate is pressed??
Old 05-28-23, 02:20 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Biojoe
2021/NX 300h; Has anyone had this issue: rear lift gate only opens an inch each time the button on the lift gate is pressed??
wow! Is this thing on a network it just happened to my son's NX 2017 F sport. Won't close or open. If it does... is lil movements at a time.
any luck?
Old 05-28-23, 03:17 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you fixed this? Where is the valet switch?
I'm having the same problem.
Thanks
Old 07-08-23, 07:59 AM
ACP84
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 lexus nx rear lift gate noise on closing

Does anybody know what this noise can be? it sounds like something is rubbing/vibrating at the end of the closing.......it only happens 50% of the time.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2317.mov (18.32 MB, 169 views)
The following users liked this post:
raynx (07-14-23)
Old 07-09-23, 09:21 AM
Bearman95
2nd gear

My 2016 NX had the same problem. I lubricated the hinges and all the noise is gone. use WD-40 or silicone spray and it should work for you!
Old 07-09-23, 01:49 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Slide off cover/collar on each actuator tube and spray silicon-based lubricant into opening. After that close and open lift gate few times.

Collar off

Collar on
The following 2 users liked this post by Lex2000TL:
jonnyyaa (07-10-23), raynx (07-17-23)
Old 07-10-23, 08:01 AM
ACP84
Driver

Thanks everyone I will try it tonight and report back
Old 07-14-23, 09:47 AM
raynx
7th Gear

I also have this issue, I tried the silicon suggestion, and it didn't make a difference - any other thoughts or ideas! Mine sounds exactly like the OP's video. Right at the end, although mine is pretty much all the time - at least when it is warmer out.

Attached is my example/video.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
2017nx-lift-gate-noise-at-end.mov (13.89 MB, 246 views)

Last edited by raynx; 07-14-23 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-15-23, 06:28 AM
ACP84
Driver

Originally Posted by raynx
I also have this issue, I tried the silicon suggestion, and it didn't make a difference - any other thoughts or ideas! Mine sounds exactly like the OP's video. Right at the end, although mine is pretty much all the time - at least when it is warmer out.

Attached is my example/video.
exact problem as me....I tried spraying white silicone grease inside the actuator tube and the noise it got a bit better but noise didnt go away 100% ...im going to dry some WD 40 DRY lubricant spray and see if that works

Quick Reply: Power Liftgate questions/issues (Merged threads)