NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Power Liftgate questions/issues (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-23, 10:42 AM
jihui88
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 2nd gen NX, the power liftgate will close when I press the close button, but it intermittently works for the close and lock, and very unresponsive.
Old 10-09-23, 01:24 PM
Shantybayfred
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Lift Gate struts snapped

Has anyone experienced the ball joint at the top of the lift gate strut breaking right off? When I closed the back of my 2016 NX 200T F-Sport a couple of weeks ago, I heard a cracking noise and the hatch would not close. When I looked at it from the inside, the strut was broken off and blocking closure. I drove to the dealership where I bought it in Barrie, Ontario, Canada with the warning beep going and they removed the strut. What I saw was a snapped rusted ball joint on the socket. The service manager priced a new strut at $1100 plus labour. We discussed other options such as manual non-powered or after-market parts. With the lift gate now closed I drove off with his promise to get back to me with some options. When my husband looked at the part he noticed that the lower end ball joint was fully lubricated since I had just had it serviced on July 6th 2023 which specified Lubricate rear hatch and all doors and hinges. I heard nothing from the service manager for 2 weeks so I just showed up . When I pointed out that the reason the part failed was likely due to lack of lubrication, he first told me it was a sealed unit and not accessible. I said show me. When he manually opened the hatch, the ball joint on the other side was accessible and lubricated! It is obvious the ball joint which broke off was seized up in the socket due to no lube. He denied it and claimed this happens all the time. I have search this forum and not found any similar problems with other Lexus owners. Bottom line is he will not cover the repair. Any advice or insights are much appreciated.

seized and snapped ball joint

other end of strut lubed and moves easily

whole strut
Old 10-10-23, 08:54 PM
aa146
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Talk to the general manager or contact Lexus corporate and explain to them the situation and provide all the necessary paperwork and photos.
The following users liked this post:
Shantybayfred (10-11-23)
Old 10-11-23, 04:05 AM
Shantybayfred
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank-you. I will do that today
The following users liked this post:
aa146 (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 04:35 PM
aa146
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Let us know what the outcome is
Old 10-30-23, 11:06 AM
Digs15
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, did you find a fix that worked for this. Mine has been doing the same for 10 months. Lexus wanted over £2200 to replace the 2 gas struts so, erm, I didn't bother. Seems like a common fault.....
Old 11-06-23, 12:36 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Digs15
Hi, did you find a fix that worked for this. Mine has been doing the same for 10 months. Lexus wanted over £2200 to replace the 2 gas struts so, erm, I didn't bother. Seems like a common fault.....
I tried the thin silicone lubricant and it barely worked. I then tried a thick synthetic bearing grease and that did the trick.
Old 11-18-23, 08:21 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear power door closing problem

Apologies if this question has been asked before and with some satisfactory solution(s). If so, a link to this is appreciated.

My 2016 nt200t F Sport (not sure if this is relevant) has this problem since last winter 2022. The problem subsides by itself in the spring and summer this year, comes Fall, Winter 2023 it hesitates and stops closing again! My solution, as I assume some mechanical stiffness/interference possibly caused by cold weather, or lack of lubricant at the hydraulic lifts and moving joints, that the controller stops the door to prevent any damages? Thus, I squirt white lithium grease to those areas, hoping to lubricate the joints, however with little consistent results.

The problem is that when the door starts to close, it stops while still at the top, not moving down. My "solution" is to push it up again, giving it a little, gentle momentarily push up, then it comes down as if nothing happen.

What would be the root cause, and thus any suggestions to solve this?
Many thanks!
Old 11-18-23, 08:55 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Slide off cover/collar on each actuator tube and spray silicon-based lubricant into opening. After that close and open lift gate few times.

Collar off

Collar on
It may be obvious to many on where the collar, and how to slide it off, then on. It would help if the OP can "Snip" the photos as above, then use this Snipping Tool to draw an arrow on where the collar in its "on" position, as it is not "obvious" to my untrained eyes.

Thank you!

Edited to add: as I played around the power lift gate, I now have confidence to twist/push the cover up to see the 3 holes and plenty of gaps to squirt lubricant. Thanks!

Last edited by 16fsport2; 11-18-23 at 09:15 AM. Reason: found the rubber/plastic collar
Old 11-20-23, 08:19 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Try to open the hatch and then very gently closing it manually with your hands. This kind of resets the hatch and it may help, won't hurt anything to try.
Old 03-24-24, 05:06 AM
ACP84
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what kind of grease did you use exactly?
Old 03-24-24, 05:10 AM
ACP84
Driver

just providing an update to this thread. Over the winter the noise went away but now that we have had some warm days in the vibration noise has come back when the lift gate reaches close to the end of shutting, doesnt happen going up. Just to confirm I have spready white lithium grease everywhere on the structs, even inside the collar and the connecting points. Has anyone found a fix for this or know where else I could spray???? its such an annoying loud noise to hear!
Old 03-24-24, 05:11 AM
ACP84
Driver

Originally Posted by BMGS
I tried the thin silicone lubricant and it barely worked. I then tried a thick synthetic bearing grease and that did the trick.
what kind of grease did you use exactly?