NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Road Noise & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 11:06 AM
satlawyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Noise & Feedback

Ok, so after nearly 8 months of owning and driving the NX, I really like the car, I mean it decent enough power, it has good tech and I love the way it looks.

But I do have a few qualms, the biggest of which being excessive road noise (even though I have now learnt to somewhat tolerate the wind noise at highway speeds) and the very un-Lexus like drive quality. Following are a few things that really bother me:

1) The suspension (even for NX200t non F-Sport) is far too firm;
2) Ridiculous amounts of road feedback on the steering wheel;
3) Cabin noise over (even slightly) imperfect roads (such as cobbled road crossings etc) is too loud;
4) A strange vibration in the undercarriage (Lexus tech checked it and said it's normal);
5) Engine noise (it's not loud or anything but sometimes it feels as if its trying too hard);
6) Wind noise (I had to mention it, still bothers me)

Maybe I am being too picky but this is what I feel. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-04-16, 11:36 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Agree with the road noise. Particularly noticed it yesterday on a long drive home. Car 3 months old and haven't noticed until now.
Old 02-04-16, 02:26 PM
Nova227
Driver School Candidate

Tires!
My 200t came with all seasons . I replaced them with the latest Michelin snow tire. The tires dramatically improved ride and road noise.
In the spring I will put on Michelin summer tires that have the best noise an ride rating not all season.

I have had 3 RXs I find noise level and ride to be very close. I find the steering very smooth with no vibration and do not have any abnormal win noise.
Old 02-04-16, 06:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

For 4), check the clips holding the plastic panels are tight, underneath the car throughout. Rule this out.
Old 02-04-16, 11:51 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

For #5, welcome to the world of twin-scroll turbochargers!
Old 02-05-16, 12:03 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've said this before and that is that the NX lacks the refinement befitting a Lexus.

For example, all the motors in the windows, lift gate, etc are really loud. Even my passengers have commented.

Meanwhile I drove a used RX loaner and it was as silent as a church mouse in all respects.

I have a 2015 and I chock it up to first year production issues. I'm hoping and betting that they'l get alot of the kicks ironed out by the mid-cylce refresh.
Old 02-05-16, 05:06 AM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weird, I find my 2015 NX F sport to be extremely quiet on the highway. In fact that's where I find the NX most pleasant to drive. The suspension soaks up bumps while being firm enough to confident. I wish it was sportier for around town, needs more power, better response.
Old 02-05-16, 05:57 PM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr645
weird, I find my 2015 NX F sport to be extremely quiet on the highway.
That's the same from me too.

I was doing 100km/h (62mph) on the highway and I was whispering to my passengers "Isn't it just so quiet in here?".

I have the 300h, I am not sure if that setup is quieter with the electric motor assisting. The car is at 1500RPM and is quite quiet () in the cabin.

Old 02-05-16, 08:06 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by satlawyer
Ok, so after nearly 8 months of owning and driving the NX, I really like the car, I mean it decent enough power, it has good tech and I love the way it looks.

But I do have a few qualms, the biggest of which being excessive road noise (even though I have now learnt to somewhat tolerate the wind noise at highway speeds) and the very un-Lexus like drive quality. Following are a few things that really bother me:

1) The suspension (even for NX200t non F-Sport) is far too firm;
2) Ridiculous amounts of road feedback on the steering wheel;
3) Cabin noise over (even slightly) imperfect roads (such as cobbled road crossings etc) is too loud;
4) A strange vibration in the undercarriage (Lexus tech checked it and said it's normal);
5) Engine noise (it's not loud or anything but sometimes it feels as if its trying too hard);
6) Wind noise (I had to mention it, still bothers me)

Maybe I am being too picky but this is what I feel. Let me know what you think.
Go drive a 2016 RX. Based upon the things you listed, it sounds like you are more of an RX owner than an NX owner. I can see people who like the IS series being very satisfied with the NX, but the things you seem to like about the Lexus brand aren't really what the IS and NX are for. You need a longer wheelbase, a V6, and more sound insulation. All are found on the RX.
Old 02-06-16, 04:07 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

weird, I find my 2015 NX F sport to be extremely quiet on the highway

Ditto!! Every time I read this forum I think I should have bought a lotto ticket the day I bought my NX.. Have had NO issues with it that were pointed out on here. Mine is a fabulous vehicle that rides and sounds great....

If fact I don't come here that much due to constant complaints about a vehicle I have absolutely no complaints about.