NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Base 2016 NX 200t or Nissan Murano SL 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16 | 06:42 AM
NX200T
Driver School Candidate

I personally don't like the cvt myself. But Nissan has been using it for awhile now. This is Lexus first turbo engine. I'm sure they know what they're doing but turbos have problems too. It's just too new for any long term feedback. And VQ has been reliable ever since it came out. If you're worried about keeping a car 7-8 years there murano would be fine. I have two VQs right now. Maxima with 198k miles and a g37 with 116k miles. No major problems or any problems for that matter. I do not like how the engine sounds in the G. Very loud

Size wise and features and price goes to the murano

Styling points, interior quality, fit and finish go to the NX... Although I don't think the new murano is that far off

When shopping for the NX I did cross shop it with the RDX. Have you looked at that?
Old 02-09-16 | 08:04 AM
amd7674
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
Ah, I did not realize that all Honda CRVs utilize a CVT now. That's a shame.

I found the NX to have a lot more "space" than my wife's IS, so it was a gradual improvement, but yes, its tighter than some other cars.

The NX will have its bumps in the road to prove reliability as its only a 1st full year model, so don't be shocked to find some issue at some point. However, they should be small.

I'm trusting Lexus track record :-) and yes Honda uses CVT in CRVs.

Originally Posted by NX200T
I personally don't like the cvt myself. But Nissan has been using it for awhile now. This is Lexus first turbo engine. I'm sure they know what they're doing but turbos have problems too. It's just too new for any long term feedback. And VQ has been reliable ever since it came out. If you're worried about keeping a car 7-8 years there murano would be fine. I have two VQs right now. Maxima with 198k miles and a g37 with 116k miles. No major problems or any problems for that matter. I do not like how the engine sounds in the G. Very loud

Size wise and features and price goes to the murano

Styling points, interior quality, fit and finish go to the NX... Although I don't think the new murano is that far off

When shopping for the NX I did cross shop it with the RDX. Have you looked at that?
I don't mind engine noise, my Odyssey's V6 makes sound but you don't get that underpowered/I can do it engine sound. Also when I press on the gas the car is going. There is no delay or uneven CVT uneven changes. Perhaps I will have to learn how to drive it properly.

Murano was driving very smooth and powerful. I don't believe the engine sound was bothersome.

I'm planning to try RDX later this week.

I'm off for out of town tournament for my son's hockey team. This will put me 4 days behind the schedule. However it will be a nice break from car shopping :-)
Old 02-09-16 | 08:45 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amd7674
Thank you for everyone's feedback :-)

We went for a quick test drive with my wife today. She was a little disappointed with NX (luxury package). She said the ride was a little bumpy and it was a little on the noisy side when pressing on the gas. We had -20C cold day, with winter tires on. We both agreed BMW X1 engine produced "nicer" engine noise when accelerating. Since we have never driven Lexus before I think our expectation were very high. Also it is a little unfair because we are used to drive very comfortable van for the last 8 years or so.

On the way back home, we stopped by Hyundai to test drive Sante Fe Sport and Tucson. Tucson with its 1.6T engine was horrible, the CVT was very slipper and there was a huge delay between pressing the gas and actually accelerating. Santa Fe was much better with its 2.0T engine, but the gear changes were not smooth. Space wise both were similar. The interior of both cars was "ok" but at the same level as Lexus, Audi or BMW.

In Canada I don't believe there is a CRV V6 version. Also we would be happy with base model. I won't pay $10k to move to second package to get BSW.

With our busy schedule it is very hard to find time to properly test cars. I think we have to revisit our options and sleep on it :-)

Thanks again.
You can also look at a lightly used previous gen Lexus RX, softer ride quality, more interior room and one of the most reliable options in the SUV market.
Old 02-09-16 | 11:50 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Originally Posted by amd7674
Thank you for everyone's feedback :-)

In Canada I don't believe there is a CRV V6 version. Also we would be happy with base model. I won't pay $10k to move to second package to get BSW.
Sorry I wasn't clear on the reference to the V-6 CRV. What I meant was that the Acura RDX is basically a CRV with a V-6 engine. It also has a conventional automatic rather than the CVT.
Steve
Old 02-09-16 | 11:55 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

I do not like how the engine sounds in the G. Very loud
You must have the world's most sensitive ears...
Old 02-09-16 | 06:14 PM
LNXT200
Driver

The Murano is a midsize SUV, so it is roomier and plenty of cargo space compared with the NX, but I 100% dislike the CVT transmission. I test drive the Accord and the cvt was horrible too. I wouldn't get another car with CVT, looking forward to replace the murano for the MDX.
Old 02-09-16 | 08:03 PM
NX200T
Driver School Candidate

You must have the world's most sensitive ears...
You don't need sensitive ears to hear how noisy the VQ37 in the G and Z is. It's been well known and documented in plenty of reviews
Old 02-10-16 | 04:04 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

You don't need sensitive ears to hear how noisy the VQ37 in the G and Z is. It's been well known and documented in plenty of reviews
Noisy? My goodness, you hurt my soul. The VQ was voted the best sounding V6 engine ever by MotorTrend and AutoWeek.

The G and Z are great cars. We have a guy out here that has his 370Z with headers and exhaust, it sounds INCREDIBLE at idle. its a little raspy up high, but its so beautiful.

"its well known and documented" Good! So there is a group of very sensitive people, you can all meet and discuss how the VQ has ruined your life lol
Old 02-10-16 | 06:02 AM
NX200T
Driver School Candidate

Noisy? My goodness, you hurt my soul. The VQ was voted the best sounding V6 engine ever by MotorTrend and AutoWeek.

The G and Z are great cars. We have a guy out here that has his 370Z with headers and exhaust, it sounds INCREDIBLE at idle. its a little raspy up high, but its so beautiful.

"its well known and documented" Good! So there is a group of very sensitive people, you can all meet and discuss how the VQ has ruined your life lol
Lol I never said i didn't like the car... Obviously I do!! I mean I own the the car ever since it came.
And are you talking about the exhaust or engine sound?? Exhaust sounds nice on the car. But I wasn't talking about the exhaust note. And I'm sure headers and exhaust sounds amazing. I have hfcs and catback on mine. Sounds good but I agree it's a little bit raspy

Don't be so "sensitive" sir. Just my opinion on a car I actually own. You make it seem like I'm talking **** about your ride lol

Best sounding V6 ever engine? I must have missed that review (kidding, I read all the reviews. I don't remember this being mentioned in any)

Last edited by NX200T; 02-10-16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-10-16 | 06:11 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Lol I never said i didn't like the car... Obviously I do!! I mean I own the the car.
And are you talking about the exhaust or engine sound?? Exhaust sounds nice on the car. But I wasn't talking about the exhaust note. And I'm sure headers and exhaust sounds amazing.

Very "sensitive" ppl on board here lol. Just my opinion on a car I actually own.

Best sounding V6 ever? I must have missed that review
I think we had a misunderstanding on what was being discussed. When I think of engine, I think of the exhaust note. All Variable Valve Timing cars are annoyingly loud, sadly. So if that's what you're getting at, yes, I agree, a VQ taps to death, and if you don't use Nissan's recommend oil blend, they tap even louder. I looked at a G37 IPL prior to ordering the Camaro, and with the valve tapping and the crap transmission (which is the same that is in the Genesis Coupe), I walked away from it.

I'll see if I can find it for you sometime today.
Old 02-10-16 | 06:36 AM
NX200T
Driver School Candidate

I think we had a misunderstanding on what was being discussed. When I think of engine, I think of the exhaust note. All Variable Valve Timing cars are annoyingly loud, sadly. So if that's what you're getting at, yes, I agree, a VQ taps to death, and if you don't use Nissan's recommend oil blend, they tap even louder. I looked at a G37 IPL prior to ordering the Camaro, and with the valve tapping and the crap transmission (which is the same that is in the Genesis Coupe), I walked away from it.

I'll see if I can find it for you sometime today.
You are correct sir!
Old 02-10-16 | 08:39 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Sorry I wasn't clear on the reference to the V-6 CRV. What I meant was that the Acura RDX is basically a CRV with a V-6 engine. It also has a conventional automatic rather than the CVT.
Steve
I don't know if I would trust Honda at all, anymore!

"Honda Officially Recalls 2016 Civics Over Engine Failures, Continues Halt To New Sales

A week after directing dealers to stop selling the newest model Civic sedans after detecting a problem in the vehicles that could lead to engine failure, Honda has announced an official recall of the affected cars."

[more...]
Old 02-10-16 | 08:41 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I don't know if I would trust Honda at all, anymore!

"Honda Officially Recalls 2016 Civics Over Engine Failures, Continues Halt To New Sales

A week after directing dealers to stop selling the newest model Civic sedans after detecting a problem in the vehicles that could lead to engine failure, Honda has announced an official recall of the affected cars."

[more...]
Meh, everyone has recalls. If the motor goes, you get a whole new crate motor, I don't see the problem here.

And if the motor goes, I'm sure your Honda dealer will set you up with a loaner until they source the parts.
Old 02-10-16 | 09:41 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Meh, everyone has recalls. If the motor goes, you get a whole new crate motor, I don't see the problem here.

And if the motor goes, I'm sure your Honda dealer will set you up with a loaner until they source the parts.
New motor for sure, but I would hate the fact a couple techs have to deal with installing it in a dealer service bay. Prefer a motor to be installed by the factory

Last edited by coolsaber; 02-10-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-10-16 | 09:54 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Then you take it to a dealer you trust. I have 4 Honda dealers around me, but there is one in particular I would trust to install anything. They are great, and very trustworthy. You have to find THAT dealer.

And a couple techs installing a crate motor would be fine since the factory isn't a clean room either. And chances are, the guys installing the original motor, probably were overworked, tired, and probably not as attentive as the guys installing the second. Also, if the dealership installs the motor, they are now accountable for any issues you have moving forward.

Quick Reply: Base 2016 NX 200t or Nissan Murano SL 2016?