NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

nx 200 interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 02:18 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeW83
Actually sir, I went to Lexus' International site again, (lists all possible combinations worldwide) and you're wrong. The wood in the NX is actually Shimamoku. Just renamed in other markets, like the US. I'll be the first to admit it is no where near as intricate or stunning as the Shima in the LS, for example. But it's still the same process to make our trims Probably just with less steps and painting as in the bigger cars.
That's interesting that they rename it for the US...the trim doesn't look as luxurious as the one in the LS though.

The new Grey Sapele Wood with Aluminum stripes as seen in recently updated models is really nice, and IMO better than the Shimamoku wood.
http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/comfo...-with-aluminum
Old 03-08-16, 03:02 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
That's interesting that they rename it for the US...the trim doesn't look as luxurious as the one in the LS though.

The new Grey Sapele Wood with Aluminum stripes as seen in recently updated models is really nice, and IMO better than the Shimamoku wood.
http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/comfo...-with-aluminum
The one on the new RX? I totally agree! It's a really fantastic, upscale looking interior....

I'm sure they renamed it, because American buyers probably couldn't pronounce Shimamoku lol If the Lexus marketing is honestly to be believed, it's a very old and prestigious form of Japanese art. My guess for what it's worth, is that the NX gets smaller left over scraps from the LS. Or they use the left over shavings, and don't put as much work and detail into them. It's still pretty, but not as stunning as the LS, you're absolutely right.

I'm also really bummed that we didn't get Saddle Tan leather here in the states. My last two cars have had it (Orange of some kind) and I really really wanted it for my NX. I know Canada gets it
Old 03-08-16, 03:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It's probably best to not overthink the details of the wood used in NX interiors. This is a high volume vehicle worldwide for the Lexus division so they ars efficient in the use of interior materials. Better to just enjoy the look and feel of things.
Old 03-09-16, 09:46 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Couldn't resist to check on my base NX200t FWD. According to the Lexus site(NA?) the only trim option available for my model is Dark Umber which is what is stated on my window sticker.

Frankly, I hardly notice the trim on mine since I have black seats. It does look like some kind of carbon fiber which is fine with me. I don't see where the trim is any kind of big concern since there is so little of it and there really is no high contrast options except bamboo which is only for F sports I guess. I would love to have a real wooden steering wheel though and maybe some highlights in the console.