NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Seeking comments on used NX pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 10:54 AM
jim7485
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seeking comments on used NX pricing

Dealer near me has a 2015 NX 200t, 2 wheel drive, 12,000 miles. It's a short term lease turn-in, appears that it was leased for 9 to 10 months. The only options are heated seats and all weather floor mats. No navi, so it's almost as basic as you can get for this car. The 'internet' price is $37,000 which seems quite high given that the base price for a 2016 is $34,900...

Knowing nothing else, does anyone care to offer an opinion on what I should offer the dealer?

Thanks
Old 04-13-16, 11:23 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2015 NX200T, AWD, 12,000 miles, Fsport with all options available went online at the Toyota dealer for $38,999. It was listed for 3 weeks and sold.

Just a baseline for you.
Old 04-13-16, 11:33 AM
jim7485
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
My 2015 NX200T, AWD, 12,000 miles, Fsport with all options available went online at the Toyota dealer for $38,999. It was listed for 3 weeks and sold.

Just a baseline for you.
Curious... what was the original sticker or purchase price?

Also... the car has been on their lot since mid-December, nearly 4 months.
Old 04-13-16, 02:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jim7485
Dealer near me has a 2015 NX 200t, 2 wheel drive, 12,000 miles. It's a short term lease turn-in, appears that it was leased for 9 to 10 months. The only options are heated seats and all weather floor mats. No navi, so it's almost as basic as you can get for this car. The 'internet' price is $37,000 which seems quite high given that the base price for a 2016 is $34,900...

Knowing nothing else, does anyone care to offer an opinion on what I should offer the dealer?

Thanks
If thats the only options you are for certain included, then I`d negotiate hard on a new similarly equipeed. And Since you are considering FWD variants, then its in your favor.

The tradeoff for this mindset should be USED Fully Loaded should = New basic model.

In your case it seems the Used Basic > the New Basic.

Search around etc
Old 04-13-16, 03:32 PM
jim7485
Rookie

I test drove the car this afternoon and it is wonderful. The absolute lowest they will go is $32,500. This still seems a bit high to me. A brand new one on the lot with the same options is $36,800. That makes the used car a little over $4,000 less than a brand new one. I offered them $30,000 but they will not budge. I'm not sure what I'll do but I'm definitely going to sleep on it. I would appreciate any other comments. Thanks
Old 04-13-16, 04:34 PM
dadofahusk
Rookie

I test drove the car this afternoon and it is wonderful. The absolute lowest they will go is $32,500. This still seems a bit high to me. A brand new one on the lot with the same options is $36,800. That makes the used car a little over $4,000 less than a brand new one. I offered them $30,000 but they will not budge. I'm not sure what I'll do but I'm definitely going to sleep on it. I would appreciate any other comments. Thanks

Tell them your will not go above 30k and if they agree you will sign the papers right them. If they say no, walk away. Stick to your guns. Literally get up and walk out. They will either follow you or call you if they can sell it for 30k, if not, then they truly cannot. By the way, I only suggested 30k because that was the figure you said. Also, dont forget that the car is essentially 1 year old already from a depreciation standpoint.
Old 04-13-16, 06:09 PM
jim7485
Rookie

Great advice. Thank you...

I forgot to mention... the car has been on their lot for 4 months
Old 04-14-16, 04:33 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Curious... what was the original sticker or purchase price?

Also... the car has been on their lot since mid-December, nearly 4 months.
I don't recall, original sticker was like $47?
Old 04-14-16, 04:54 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Great advice. Thank you...

I forgot to mention... the car has been on their lot for 4 months
4 months on the lot for a high demand vehicle like the NX is very long. It further suggests their asking price is too high.

HOWEVER, as to the actual negotiated selling price of 32.5K, to my surprise, a kbb trade-in value starts at 30K to give you a baseline. Now take this as a sample and run this for your own zip code to get a more accurate market value. If saving ~4-5K is important to you, and you love that particular NX/dealership/experience/etc, the 32.5K can be a "fair" price at a couple grand over the lowest trade-in price.

Happy shopping!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-14-16 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 11:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

If the NX is pretty basic as you indicated, it could limit demand for it as potential buyers might be looking for more equipment on a NX.
Old 04-14-16, 03:24 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The NX is suffering from really bad depreciation right now. F-Sport models seem to be doing better than non-F trucks. $37k is insanely overpriced for that particular example!!! Even $32k seems high for my taste. You're better off buying a brand new one, or making them give it to you for 32 out the door. - Trust me, if they're coming down 5 thousand already, they know it's a configuration that isn't going to move anytime soon. Tell them to take the deal, or end up sitting on it for 2 more months and risk sending it to auction for 30k anyway. If they need the stats, they'll do it.

Side note: It seems Lexus Certified car sales are reported to Lexus USA like new sales, so dealers are motivated to move them, almost in the same way as brand new units.
Old 04-14-16, 04:08 PM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeW83
The NX is suffering from really bad depreciation right now. F-Sport models seem to be doing better than non-F trucks. $37k is insanely overpriced for that particular example!!! Even $32k seems high for my taste. You're better off buying a brand new one, or making them give it to you for 32 out the door. - Trust me, if they're coming down 5 thousand already, they know it's a configuration that isn't going to move anytime soon. Tell them to take the deal, or end up sitting on it for 2 more months and risk sending it to auction for 30k anyway. If they need the stats, they'll do it.

Side note: It seems Lexus Certified car sales are reported to Lexus USA like new sales, so dealers are motivated to move them, almost in the same way as brand new units.
How do you know that the NX is suffering from very bad depreciation? I looked for some used NX's in my area out of curiousity but I didn't find much. The few I did was barely cheaper than new. My friend went to a dealership for a 2015 F-Sport 1 (Canadian) and the price was only $5K less than the MSRP after negotiating so he didn't buy it.
Old 04-14-16, 06:52 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by skabei
How do you know that the NX is suffering from very bad depreciation? I looked for some used NX's in my area out of curiousity but I didn't find much. The few I did was barely cheaper than new. My friend went to a dealership for a 2015 F-Sport 1 (Canadian) and the price was only $5K less than the MSRP after negotiating so he didn't buy it.
I think this is based off the forums members in the US. Dont know about Canada, but 14% off MSRP is doable for some. 10% is bare minimum.

Depreciation wise who knows. Swacer recently got an excellent deal for a new 4Runner, got at the higher end of the trade in spectrum
Old 04-16-16, 09:39 PM
MikeW83
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skabei
That's resale pricing, not trade-in value or residual. I was looking at trading my NX for an ES on Wednesday, and it's lost about $14k in value since November. Dealer offered me $34k I put down twenty thousand, and I'm now only in a four grand positive equity position on mine now. I specifically remember them trying to put me in the ES originally, and when I was going to lease, the ES had a higher projected residual than the NX. They knew it wasn't going to hold the same kind of value as other Lexus models. So from a resale/financial position, get an F Sport lol I presume the black book price is 4-6k lower than blue book, so the dealers can make a small profit and actually sell CPO's. Like you said in your example above, what's the advantage of spending a couple thousand less for a used one, vs. a brand new car with no miles. Still strange to me for Lexus though, when 2010 RX's can still go for 26-30k with 12 times the miles...

The insulting part is that the same dealer has a used 15 F-Sport with comparable miles, and they're asking 42k. My NX has every single option and package you can get in the states. The F Sport they have doesn't come close to touching it. I'm going to take it to Carmax this week and see what they're offering, and if worse comes to worse keep it, or private sell it to a guy I know.
Old 04-17-16, 10:05 AM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeW83
That's resale pricing, not trade-in value or residual. I was looking at trading my NX for an ES on Wednesday, and it's lost about $14k in value since November. Dealer offered me $34k I put down twenty thousand, and I'm now only in a four grand positive equity position on mine now. I specifically remember them trying to put me in the ES originally, and when I was going to lease, the ES had a higher projected residual than the NX. They knew it wasn't going to hold the same kind of value as other Lexus models. So from a resale/financial position, get an F Sport lol I presume the black book price is 4-6k lower than blue book, so the dealers can make a small profit and actually sell CPO's. Like you said in your example above, what's the advantage of spending a couple thousand less for a used one, vs. a brand new car with no miles. Still strange to me for Lexus though, when 2010 RX's can still go for 26-30k with 12 times the miles...

The insulting part is that the same dealer has a used 15 F-Sport with comparable miles, and they're asking 42k. My NX has every single option and package you can get in the states. The F Sport they have doesn't come close to touching it. I'm going to take it to Carmax this week and see what they're offering, and if worse comes to worse keep it, or private sell it to a guy I know.
I think they're low-balling you to make more money or they don't want your used NX. It depends on where you're located and how popular the NX is in that area. Swacer got a pretty good trade in value for his NX. I would also get a pretty good trade in value for my NX in my area if I wanted to since the popularity of the NX here in Toronto is growing really fast.

Quick Reply: Seeking comments on used NX pricing