NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Fuel Pressure Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 12:45 PM
aandrus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel Pressure Failure

Hello guys. I have a 2015 NX200t F-Sport.

A little back ground on the issue. I have owned this vehicle for 9 months and have 13,500 miles (I drive far for work everyday). About a month or two ago I notice when my car had low fuel that it was having trouble starting. It would crank for 6-10 seconds before finally turning on, whereas it typically takes 2-3 seconds. I brushed this off as having low fuel. Two weeks ago it started happening almost every other time I went to start the car, particularly when it was a cold start. On Monday 4/11/16, my husband finally heard this start up. We went through several scenarios on what could be causing it. We decided to take the car to Lexus on Tuesday morning.

After dropping the NX at the dealership on Tuesday, we were told that the computer was coming back with an error, but not a specific code. Lexus wanted to keep the vehicle and run more test. On Wednesday we were told they had narrowed down the issue to the fuel. We automatically began to wonder what would cause a fuel issue on a fairly new car.

Today I gave them a call considering it's been at the dealership for four days. I was told that there is an issue with the engine keeping fuel pressure and a possible leak of one of the high pressure injector. Apparently Lexus is very interested because this would be the first NX to come back with an "engine" issue. I will find out Monday what the final decision will be on how to fix the NX.

I started doing some research on fuel pressure issues with Lexus. I guess they have had previous issues with a couple of the older models. I wanted to share this incase anyone else has had similar issues with their NXs not wanting to start or having taking longer than average to crank and start.

Thanks for the read.
Old 04-15-16, 03:02 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Appreciate the heads up and good luck.
Old 04-15-16, 03:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. This is certainly a first in this forum too. Statistically, to put this into perspective, you may be the first in the US of 60k units sold to date. Please keep us posted on updates when available.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-16, 07:39 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sorry to hear about your troubles. This is certainly a first in this forum too. Statistically, to put this into perspective, you may be the first in the US of 60k units sold to date. Please keep us posted on updates when available.

Thanks!
Let me start by saying good luck in Lexus fixing your problem. I'm sure they will.

When you get the car back, fixed of course, I would not let the fuel go to low in the future. As Iave always been told fill up at a half of tank full or nothing less than a quarter of a tank to avoid any potential bad gas or sludge going to the bottom of the tank. I realize that this is a new car but you do have over 13K on the car. More than enough mileage for something to get in the tank and clog your electronic fuel pump. I am not saying this is the problem but it may help for the future.
Old 04-18-16, 10:16 AM
aandrus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, due to the length I travel each day, I never let it get under a quarter tank. In the history of having the vehicle I've only let the light come on twice. I seriously doubt this would cause the issue I am having. It would more like have build up in the engine, then a fuel pressure leak if sludge was being stacked from the fuel tank.
Old 04-18-16, 01:21 PM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aandrus
Actually, due to the length I travel each day, I never let it get under a quarter tank. In the history of having the vehicle I've only let the light come on twice. I seriously doubt this would cause the issue I am having. It would more like have build up in the engine, then a fuel pressure leak if sludge was being stacked from the fuel tank.

Just a thought of course. I'm sure Lexus will find the problem. Please let us know the end result.
Old 03-05-20, 06:22 AM
ichitaka86
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little back ground on the issue. I have owned this vehicle for 9 months and have 13,500 miles (I drive far for work everyday). About a month or two ago I notice when my car had low fuel that it was having trouble starting. It would crank for 6-10 seconds before finally turning on, whereas it typically takes 2-3 seconds. I brushed this off as having low fuel. Two weeks ago it started happening almost every other time I went to start the car, particularly when it was a cold start. On Monday 4/11/16, my husband finally heard this start up. We went through several scenarios on what could be causing it. We decided to take the car to Lexus on Tuesday morning.

After dropping the NX at the dealership on Tuesday, we were told that the computer was coming back with an error, but not a specific code. Lexus wanted to keep the vehicle and run more test. On Wednesday we were told they had narrowed down the issue to the fuel. We automatically began to wonder what would cause a fuel issue on a fairly new car.

Today I gave them a call considering it's been at the dealership for four days. I was told that there is an issue with the engine keeping fuel pressure and a possible leak of one of the high pressure injector. Apparently Lexus is very interested because this would be the first NX to come back with an "engine" issue. I will find out Monday what the final decision will be on how to fix the NX.

I started doing some research on fuel pressure issues with Lexus. I guess they have had previous issues with a couple of the older models. I wanted to share this incase anyone else has had similar issues with their NXs not wanting to start or having taking longer than average to crank and start.

Thanks for the read.
Did the OP find out what happened and how the vehicle got fixed eventually?

I am having a similar problem except that my dealership can’t figure out the problem.
Old 03-06-20, 11:48 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have had this problem in other vehicles...new fuel pump.
Old 03-06-20, 03:27 PM
ichitaka86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Torii
i have had this problem in other vehicles...new fuel pump.
Was your dealership able to diagnose the problem right away and swap the fuel pump?

Old 11-29-20, 10:38 PM
Rushard
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 Lexus ls460 hard start fuel issue

Thanks for the read.
I have a 2010 lexus ls460 my car is doing the exact same thing as we speak I have been chasing this problem since last year 11/2019 till now still haven't found a fix this is a known issue on there cars an this car have been to the dealership 5 times only thing the replaced was a high pressure injector an it still doing the same thing never was fixed im still driving the car an it does this hard start issue about twice a day an solution would be a great help
Old 11-30-20, 11:01 PM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a fuel pump recall in the works; wondering if this is one of the early signs...
The following users liked this post:
Rushard (12-01-20)
Old 12-01-20, 12:28 AM
Rushard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaJoDJ
There is a fuel pump recall in the works; wondering if this is one of the early signs...
this is crazy man I was communicating with a guy I ran across on YouTube an he say he changed so much stuff he was back an fourth to lexus of Memphis finally they referred him to an outside shop that specializes in nothing but lexus cars the kept his car almost 3 weeks he told me an the diagnosis was a bad fuel pump he say he wasn't getting any engine lights or codes when this happened he got the car back say he had no more problems