NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Wind noise fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 05:56 PM
skabei
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise fixed

Since I got my NX last October, I've noticed wind noise from the driver side window and a few people here have observed the same.

I complained about it when I did my first servicing but I was given a blanket statement explanation that SUV's are less aerodynamic so there is more tolerance for wind noise. Not the answer I was hoping to hear but I half expected it. I then complained again on my next visit but the service representatives told me that they've never had anyone complain about the wind noise.

I brought my car in most recently to have something else looked at and I asked them to check it out again. This time though, they said that they heard it and ordered a replacement part. They replaced the little triangular piece of glass on the driver side window, as well as the metal and rubber seal around the rest of the window. They kept the car over the weekend from Friday to Monday because they kept tuning and tightening and then re-testing until they felt it was fixed.

When I took the car back and I took it for a quick drive in the city, it felt quieter with the wind noise less apparent. Last week I drove in quiet suburban streets at night and I can now confirm that the noise is definitely improved. If I lean my head over to the glass and look for it, I can still hear a bit, but it is not nearly as bad as it was before. I'd say it's to the point where if I had received the car like this, I don't think I'd have noticed.

Overall, I'm happy with the fix. I'm not sure if this is characteristic of all NX's by design or if this is a common issue among some NX's to which Lexus is willing to file a TSB for. If you have the issue, perhaps your dealer is willing to do a similar fix.
Old 06-07-16, 07:55 AM
leslie11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great to hear (no pun intended), can you take a pic for us to see what the solution looks like?
Old 06-08-16, 05:39 PM
skabei
Driver

Looking at the bill (it was under warranty, but the parts are on the bill), it looks like the parts replaced were the triangle weather strip and the window trim. Although the service rep said that the weather strip on the triangle window is attached to the glass as a single piece, so I'm not sure.

I'll take a picture over the weekend, but as a description, it's the rubber seal around the triangle window and the rubber piece around the edge of the front window.
Old 06-08-16, 06:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Yes, more detail the better (including pics).

Good on you for your persistence as it paid off and can help the rest of us owners. On that note, a pic of the work order (personal info blocked off), would go a long way in helping since we can show it to our dealer.
Old 08-10-16, 10:46 AM
Zhi
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys- I know OP stopped posting updates to his fix for the wind noise. But i want to share my side of story.

I have a 2015 200T that i purchased new last year. Wind noise have not been noticeable to me until my recent trip to Vegas from San Francisco. I have brought my car back to the dealership ( Lexus Serramonte ). A technician was assigned to ride with me and he said the wind noise is strong and very noticeable. He did also mention a lot of LS460 owners have the same problem with their vehicle and lexus have not find a way to fix this. The tech said he will need to put tape at certain place and figure the wind noise leak piece by piece. My Service guy ( Eddie Young ) told me to bring my car back Next week for full diagnose. I also mentioned that my NAV screen have moisture inside and its causing blurs,He said it will be cover under warranty.. I will post updates once everything is settle.
Old 08-10-16, 11:58 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think it's moisture in your nav screen, but the coating that's coming off (well, I could be wrong, but don't see how moisture gets inside