Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roof racks

Does anybody know how to remove the roof racks.. ?? Thank u
Old 07-21-16, 07:13 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roof racks or roof rails?

If it is the Lexus roof racks first you need the key, then you unlock each housing, 1 at a time, and unscrew the wing nut under there until it is loose, but don't go to far it is a pain in the butt to get back on if you have it fall off the nut. Once you get both sides of the roof rack loosened just give it a slight jiggle and it should separate from the roof rails and you can pick it up.

If you mean the roof rails, then I have no idea how, or even if, you can remove those.

Phil
Old 07-24-16, 10:33 AM
Nxlx
Driver School Candidate

Is the key for the crossbars some sort of universal or tool? I also got the roof racks but didn't get any sort of key for taking them off. The salesman assured me it was a universal tool but didn't tell me which kind.. thanks!

Originally Posted by philwojo
Roof racks or roof rails?

If it is the Lexus roof racks first you need the key, then you unlock each housing, 1 at a time, and unscrew the wing nut under there until it is loose, but don't go to far it is a pain in the butt to get back on if you have it fall off the nut. Once you get both sides of the roof rack loosened just give it a slight jiggle and it should separate from the roof rails and you can pick it up.

If you mean the roof rails, then I have no idea how, or even if, you can remove those.

Phil
Old 07-24-16, 11:41 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

it's a key to open the endcap to get access to the nut to remove the crossbar - a security measure so someone can't "easily" make off with whatever is on top.

Old 07-24-16, 12:49 PM
Nxlx
Driver School Candidate

So I guess I should've been provided a key? Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by typocl
it's a key to open the endcap to get access to the nut to remove the crossbar - a security measure so someone can't "easily" make off with whatever is on top.

Old 07-24-16, 01:53 PM
typocl
Instructor

check your glove compartment if it's in there

I'm assuming they installed the OEM crossbars, you should see a slot where to insert the key
Old 07-24-16, 02:17 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

When we picked up my sister's NX with roof racks, we almost left without the key. We asked how to take them off, and the salesperson quickly ran inside and got us a bag of keys. Don't think I need 6 keys, but oh well.
Old 07-25-16, 09:45 AM
Nxlx
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, there is a key like slot on each of the end caps where the Lexus logo is on roof rack. But no key in the glove or anywhere else I can find

Any luck that there's a code which to generate a key? I'll have to call my salesman again and hope they don't try to charge me now! Thanks guys

Also, what page in the manual did you grab that typocl? I couldn't find that page.
Originally Posted by typocl
check your glove compartment if it's in there

I'm assuming they installed the OEM crossbars, you should see a slot where to insert the key
Old 07-25-16, 01:23 PM
typocl
Instructor

I got that image from the cross bar install guide (look in the FAQ, it's in a post on manuals)

judging by what dchar says, it doesn't seem like these are very secure anyway if the salesman gave them a bag of 6 keys - so they probably have a few laying around