NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Handling and driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 02:49 AM
Futpurch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling and driving experience

How is the handling and driving experience of your nx?

How did it compare to the competition if you test drove any of them?
Old 09-03-16, 07:38 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

It felt very similar to the Acura RDX, although we we certainly wouldn't test a new car very aggressively. We did notice there was a bit more noise in the RDX. The iPhone decibel meter showed the RDX was about 3 DB louder on the same stretch of highway but I'm sure a phone microphone isn't very scientific. It definitely sounded a bit louder, but felt very similar behind the wheel.

The RDX came with more equipment at a lower price (likely why the 2017s now include the Safety+ package) but the threshold (rocker panel) was 1.5" taller which didn't work for my wife. The reason we were looking to trade our RX was because it was just a bit too tall for her, and frankly it was larger than the two of us needed anyway. The RDX was just as tall as the Lexus RX. Of course, the NX won hands-down for looks and we loved the triple beam LED headlights (still do).
Old 09-03-16, 07:48 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Going in for first 6 month comp service next week for NX 200t fsport awd.
Will discuss oil change with advisor whom I known 15 years and trust. Otherwise first oil change would be 12 months next March.
Already made no car wash sign since we don't want cloth brushes and unknown chemicals touching it.
After 6 months (only 2500 miles), I still stare at her. Amazing good looks. Don't think I would feel same if she had standard headlamps. And night driving is a dream with those LEDs cornering lamps.
No rattles tightest car I ever had.
Only down side to this car is side mirrors don't auto turn in.
Side note, I did have $700 clear bra installed on hood only last month. Xpel ultimate film.
And yes driving is so much fun now.
done by highly acclaimed installer. No edges visible, since he turned edges under hood.
Never had one before, so just wanted to see if it satisfies over time.
Old 09-04-16, 09:57 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Feel the same after a few weeks with mine. Very tight, everything is close at hand and functions as it should. Also had Xpel Ultimate placed on mine, very happy with the job they did and found a set of the same factory wheels with snow tires and TPMS for a good price. Winter wheels are a must have in my climate.

Haven't figured out how to keep a call going after I shut the engine off, but haven't searched that hard either.
Old 09-04-16, 10:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by batchelor

Haven't figured out how to keep a call going after I shut the engine off, but haven't searched that hard either.
Shift into Neutral
Turn OFF engine
Then shift into Park and all radio and related will stay working.
Old 09-04-16, 11:20 AM
batchelor
Pole Position

Thank you, I will try that next time. Seems like an unusual way to keep the system going though, most cars as long as you don't open the door, everything stays on.
Old 09-04-16, 11:25 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by batchelor
You may need to explain this in more detail, but if your asking what I think you are asking, there is a button on your infotainment screen that you can press before shutting the car off. On the ES it is called "transfer call". I can't recall if the NX uses the same text but I believe so. That will take the call off the car's speakers and transfer it back to the phone so you don't drop the call when you shut off the car.

Also, we did the XPEL Ultimate to the entire nose of our NX (all the way to the windshields/doors) as well as the rocker panels since they are so exposed. Great product.
Old 09-04-16, 01:21 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Thank you, when I shut the engine off, the call automatically reverts back to my cell from the car system. Usually I like to just sit in the car and finish my conversation without letting the engine idle. I will attempt the neutral and then off process.

I really appreciate the responses.
Old 09-05-16, 08:09 AM
Fyrcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't test drive any other vehicles...I knew I wanted this from the first moment I saw it in ads. I had a 1999 RX 300 I bought new...it seriously was hard to think of getting rid of her..I only had 95,000 miles on it. I hadn't driven another vehicle other than the loaner cars from my dealership when I brought RX in for service. From the moment I got into and then test drove the NX, I knew I didn't need to look any further. The difference from my 17 year old RX and the Nx was incredible. I never looked back...at first I had some twinges of guilt letting my old friend go...but every mile I drive my new friend, my RX becomes more of a distant memory. I have mentioned before I miss leather( I have the f-sport), but other than that I too love the whole look of this car and find myself staring lovingly at it! I only have around 2300 miles on it, and have had it 6 months. No regrets..fun ride, sexy ride and sooo zippy....
Old 09-05-16, 08:18 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Frycat-amazing everything you said could have been from me. Only difference is my RX was 2003.
Same mileage on RX as mine was. And NX is 6 months with 2300 miles.
Also have 2010 RX. It seems like a clunker compared to NX. (But still fine car).
Old 09-05-16, 09:17 AM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Futpurch
How is the handling and driving experience of your nx?

How did it compare to the competition if you test drove any of them?
Drove the BMW X3, Audi Q5, and Acura RDX (and MDX) circa mid-2015.

1. The X3 handled better but the BMW twin turbo 4 was rougher/noisier and obtaining the full safety suite (park assist, lane assist, adaptive cruise, auto high-low LED headlights, etc.) was well nigh impossible. Paying extra for a color one likes is a bit much.
2. Q5 (non-S) twin turbo 4 handled at a similar level but the full safety suite was not obtainable. No USB ports, either. Nicely assembled and finished, but a rather dated design.
3. RDX handles about the same but I could not arrive at a good driving position for myself. The NX has a bit sharper 'feel' IMHO. The Acura V6s are nice. Dated design both inside and out. Good value for $, however.
4. MDX is very nice but too large for my situation. The NX is more atheletic.

Both the X3 and Q5 appear to cost about ~$5k+ over that NX when equipment is brought close to rough parity. The previous BMW X-1 was too crude for words. My previous three experiences with Lexus cars and dealers had been great, so deciding on the NX200t was fairly easy. After a year of ownership at 15k miles, my NX is still a joy. Strongly suggest that if your sample under consideration is fitted with Yokohamas that you should insist upon a dealer swap for Michelins.

Hope this helps.

IMHO. YMMV.
Old 09-05-16, 08:45 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I tested the RDX 2016 AWD Advance. I felt the RDX was more quiet, had a softer ride, and the V6 power; there's no denying the difference. The exterior was fine, I liked the fathom blue. The interior is dated and only available in gray. I didn't want to have an "old" car in a year. The NX is a firmer ride, the turbo4 has enough power and when I'm driving, I feel like the car wants me to push it more. I took it on some winding roads recently and like the performance. Felt grounded compared to my RX330. The ultra white F-Sport gets a lot of looks and complements.