NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Ultra White paint....buyer's remorse??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17 | 05:25 PM
CaroleG
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Ultra White paint....buyer's remorse??

I bought a super spicy NX200 F-Sport in Ultra White with the Rioja Red interior on Saturday, and I freaking LOVE it. My first Lexus, btw.

But.

I'm already regretting the white paint. There are two small chips already on the back end, and boy do chips show on white. (I've always had dark cars before this.) I went to the dealer today to get some touch-up paint, and the service guy told me it would take a good 10 applications to really cover the chip. I've done maybe 6 today and I can still see the metal.

Anyone else experienced this? I know Lexus offers a protective film for the front end, but what can I do about the rear? At this rate, I picture myself in two weeks witg a bazillion little chips and totally regretting the choice of white.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
gregoryerica82 (12-10-23)
Old 04-10-17 | 06:15 PM
Torii
Intermediate

this what you are using?

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-10-17 | 07:12 PM
CaroleG
Driver School Candidate

No, I'm using what the dealer gave me. Outer packaging doesn't look similar at all.
Old 04-10-17 | 07:38 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

How big are the paint chips?

The key to getting a good color match on paint chips with touch-up paint is to fill the area of the chip as close as possible to the same height as the surrounding paint. If the chip is filled to a level higher or lower than the surrounding paint, the repaired area will catch the light differently from the rest of the panel, and it will stick out like a sore thumb. Also, be careful not to put any of the touch-up paint over the edges of the chip and onto the surrounding paint. If you do that, the area where you have gone over the edges of the chip will be at a higher level and, again, will catch the light differently than the surrounding paint.

As the touch-up paint dries, it will shrink somewhat. That means that, to end up with the filled-in area at the same level as the surrounding paint, you need to apply the touch-up paint to a height just slightly higher than what you want it to end up being.

I would also suggest not using the brush that came with the touch-up paint. Instead, buy some very fine brushes at an art supply store. With a finer brush, you will have much better control over where you are applying the touch-up paint.

Also, know that pearl whites are among the colors that are the most difficult to match. So, regardless of how careful you are, it is unlikely that you are going to get a repair that you will be unable to notice.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
CaroleG (04-11-17), Garyson (07-03-17)
Old 04-10-17 | 08:16 PM
CaroleG
Driver School Candidate

It's small. But it totally shows-- again, I never realized how glaring a chip is on a white vehicle vs a darker one.

I am mostly concerned about the fact that this is two days in. What will my car look like in a few weeks? So-- is there a good solution? Is there a film or something protective that can be applied?

Also, I read in another thread that the ultra white is supposed to be two-step touch up. They just gave me this super-clear pearlized paint that just makes the ding look grey. I am soooooo frustrated. I want to be excited about my new ride.
Old 04-10-17 | 11:26 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

If it ticks you off that badly, wrap it with Xpel Ultimate and forget it. Your other alternatives are to deal with it or don't drive it. I understand your first car is special, but in the end, its an entry level Lexus, not an LFA. Stop worrying that much about it, a car is meant to be driven. And side note, yes the ultra white is a 2 step touch up. First the white, then the clear coat which gives it that metallic-ky look. After a recent road trip where salt was being sprayed on the road, my car got a few chips. One that I noticed that nicked the paint off the bumper, and some on the bottom bumper. Also, I didn't know that salt can leave marks on the plastic piano mirror finish. So now I see specks of imperfection.

My buyer's remorse with selecting ultra white isn't the paint chips, its the fact I have to wash the car often to keep it nice bright and white.

Also, I'm curious, when I read about paint chips, its usually owners complaining about their hoods, front bumper, A pillars, front roof getting nicked. How do you manage to get it in the rear end? Do you kick up that much dirt? Would mudguards help?
Old 04-11-17 | 02:22 AM
Toymom
Rookie

Originally Posted by aztr0
If it ticks you off that badly, wrap it with Xpel Ultimate and forget it. Your other alternatives are to deal with it or don't drive it. I understand your first car is special, but in the end, its an entry level Lexus, not an LFA. Stop worrying that much about it, a car is meant to be driven. And side note, yes the ultra white is a 2 step touch up. First the white, then the clear coat which gives it that metallic-ky look. After a recent road trip where salt was being sprayed on the road, my car got a few chips. One that I noticed that nicked the paint off the bumper, and some on the bottom bumper. Also, I didn't know that salt can leave marks on the plastic piano mirror finish. So now I see specks of imperfection.

My buyer's remorse with selecting ultra white isn't the paint chips, its the fact I have to wash the car often to keep it nice bright and white.

Also, I'm curious, when I read about paint chips, its usually owners complaining about their hoods, front bumper, A pillars, front roof getting nicked. How do you manage to get it in the rear end? Do you kick up that much dirt? Would mudguards help?
Well that was a little cold. Entry level or LFA (whatever that is) maybe it was a stretch for the poster to afford an "entry level" luxury car. And no one I know likes to get a brand new car just to have it damaged a few days in.

CaroleG, I'm sorry this happened, it stinks. I was considering that very same color combination....or the MRM w/black. I have had 4 white Toyota/Lexus and never had a problem with paint chipping, I love their white. I hope you can get the chips filled to your satisfaction and will continue to enjoy your new ride!
The following 2 users liked this post by Toymom:
CaroleG (04-11-17), mrslnsyder (03-07-18)
Old 04-11-17 | 07:16 AM
CaroleG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aztr0

I live off of a dirt road in rural Santa Fe. That said, I drive very slowly on the road in order to avoid exactly this issue. And yeah, it may be entry level but I've been driving practical 8-passenger mom cars for YEARS, so to me, it's a treat.

At this point, since they only gave me the pearlescent stuff, the touch up looks bad. So....is there a good way to remove touch-up paint and try again with the right stuff?

I'd love to hear more about Xpel. From their site, it looks like it's a DIY thing. Anyone actually done it themselves?
Old 04-11-17 | 07:57 AM
typocl
Instructor

I don't think doing something like xpel is a DIY thing, unless you've DIY'ed it already. Given how you feel about the chips, I think not doing a perfect application of a wrap will annoy you even more. And removing the touch up you already did then trying to fix it, probably going to make it worse.

I know it feels bad, but wait a few days, and the pain might ease. It's always bad when you get that first chip/dent in a new car, then after a while, you'll get over it.
Old 04-11-17 | 08:15 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by typocl
I don't think doing something like xpel is a DIY thing, unless you've DIY'ed it already. Given how you feel about the chips, I think not doing a perfect application of a wrap will annoy you even more. And removing the touch up you already did then trying to fix it, probably going to make it worse.

I know it feels bad, but wait a few days, and the pain might ease. It's always bad when you get that first chip/dent in a new car, then after a while, you'll get over it.
Most would not consider the XPEL (or other paint protection films) to be a DIY job. Knowledge, experience, and skill is required to get the film on without air pockets or dust specks under the film, stretch marks, etc. Even skilled installers will admit that it is difficult to get a completely perfect install of paint protection film.

That said, you might want to do some research to find installers in your area with good reputations. At a minimum, you should be able to get the back bumper covered, and, if you are concerned about the finish, getting paint protection film on the front of the vehicle should be considered. Basic installations cover the front bumper, the front portion of the hood, and, possibly, the front portion of the fenders. It is now becoming more common to cover larger areas, including the full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, mirrors, door handle cups, etc.

Getting a complete paint protection film package won't be cheap. The basic packages generally sell for $500-600, but the more complete coverage could run you between $1000 and $2000 or more, depending on the installer and the product used, but they do a good job of protecting the paint.

As far as your touch-up is concerned, you might want to try a different touch-up product, such as the multi-stage product linked to by someone in an earlier post, but, as I said in my earlier post, the pearl whites are some of the toughest colors to match. Even if the color of the touch-up paint seems to be a perfect match, the orientation of the metallic flakes in the touch up will likely be different from that in the factory finish, and that will cause the touch up to catch the light differently from the paint in the surrounding areas. The result is likely to be that the repaired area will look lighter from one angle and darker from a different angle.

As far as removing the touch-up paint that you have already applied, you might try using a mildly abrasive polish, such as 3M Machine Glaze, but the longer that the paint has to cure, the more difficult it will be to remove. I would not suggest using any polish/product that is more aggressive/abrasive. Doing so could result in burning through the clear coat, and, if you do that, the only repair option will be to have the entire panel refinished. Note that, even if you wanted to have the panel refinished, with the pearl white, there can be issues getting a good match between the refinished panel and the rest of the car.
Old 04-11-17 | 10:54 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CaroleG
I live off of a dirt road in rural Santa Fe. That said, I drive very slowly on the road in order to avoid exactly this issue. And yeah, it may be entry level but I've been driving practical 8-passenger mom cars for YEARS, so to me, it's a treat.

At this point, since they only gave me the pearlescent stuff, the touch up looks bad. So....is there a good way to remove touch-up paint and try again with the right stuff?

I'd love to hear more about Xpel. From their site, it looks like it's a DIY thing. Anyone actually done it themselves?
Xpel isn't really a DIY thing. Depending on what you want wrapped, where you live and which shop you have it done at... the price goes up. I have read some people on these forums have gotten great deals in their areas ($800-1000), but from my experience a shop in the NYC area quoted me $1850 (with a "special" discount, $2150 normally) for full hood, front bumper, headlights, mirrors, front fenders, A pillars, and front of roof. Try searching through Yelp to see which shops do it around you and compare the prices... from your situation, it sounds like you'll probably want to get it fully wrapped, which can get really pricey. But at least, you'll be able to drive without much worry.
Old 04-11-17 | 11:57 AM
Torii
Intermediate

well take pics to document and if it get really bad demand lexus fix it. my wifes nx with under 2k miles got a cracked windshield so I kinda know the feeling.
Old 04-12-17 | 06:43 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Toymom
Well that was a little cold. Entry level or LFA (whatever that is) maybe it was a stretch for the poster to afford an "entry level" luxury car. And no one I know likes to get a brand new car just to have it damaged a few days in.

CaroleG, I'm sorry this happened, it stinks. I was considering that very same color combination....or the MRM w/black. I have had 4 white Toyota/Lexus and never had a problem with paint chipping, I love their white. I hope you can get the chips filled to your satisfaction and will continue to enjoy your new ride!
Assuming you didn't hit Google already.. the LFA is the white vehicle on the left of the Club Lexus logo in the forums header.
Toymom (04-12-17)
Old 04-12-17 | 07:07 AM
LNXT200
Driver

I feel your pain, I don't like my car getting scratched either. I have a bit of OCD against scratches, but unfortunately they happen, and they will show regardless the color paint, on my Nuluxe gray also on my wife's rav4 gray too, they show as white marks that irritates me a lot. Consider getting the side moldings those save me from a couple of dents especially from careless drivers.
Old 04-13-17 | 06:51 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CaroleG
I bought a super spicy NX200 F-Sport in Ultra White with the Rioja Red interior on Saturday, and I freaking LOVE it. My first Lexus, btw.

But.

I'm already regretting the white paint. There are two small chips already on the back end, and boy do chips show on white. (I've always had dark cars before this.) I went to the dealer today to get some touch-up paint, and the service guy told me it would take a good 10 applications to really cover the chip. I've done maybe 6 today and I can still see the metal.

Anyone else experienced this? I know Lexus offers a protective film for the front end, but what can I do about the rear? At this rate, I picture myself in two weeks witg a bazillion little chips and totally regretting the choice of white.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.
You never said if the chips were on the rear quarter panel on one side or both, or maybe on the rear hatch?

The first thing I would do is show it to your dealer. It could be a paint problem with a defective paint job?
If you want it just about factory new forget the DIY repair. Have it repaired by a professional. If the chips are on the quarter panels maybe mudguards would help.

From the responses here your chip problem does not appear to be common with white cars.

Good luck.
CaroleG (04-13-17)

Quick Reply: Ultra White paint....buyer's remorse??