NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX200t 2015 Voice Commands

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 12:09 AM
dubi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX200t 2015 Voice Commands

My voice commands leave much to be desired. One Lexus person blamed it on my IPhone while another said "It is so ****ty I don't use it".
A friend has a German car - when he says "Go to Woolwich Theatre" it takes him there and I am envious...
Undoubtedly Lexus are aware of the problem and I wonder if anyone knows about a forthcoming system upgrade.
Curious if anyone else has had issues getting their voice commands recognized?

I say "Call Bob" and the system replies "345"... It's crazy.

Last edited by dubi; 05-13-17 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-13-17, 04:51 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you use the voice training screen option? Mine works pretty well. I will admit our 17 BMW picks it up a little better, but the Lexus works in nearly every attempt.
Old 05-13-17, 07:20 AM
Tmymck
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dubi
My voice commands leave much to be desired. One Lexus person blamed it on my IPhone while another said "It is so ****ty I don't use it".
A friend has a German car - when he says "Go to Woolwich Theatre" it takes him there and I am envious...
Undoubtedly Lexus are aware of the problem and I wonder if anyone knows about a forthcoming system upgrade.
Curious if anyone else has had issues getting their voice commands recognized?

I say "Call Bob" and the system replies "345"... It's crazy.
makes me crazy
Old 05-13-17, 07:52 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Download and configure the free (forever) Lexus App Suite.
Press the speech button and say "launch Destination Search"
Now you can use the speech recognition and database of your
phone instead of the car to find destinations.
Old 05-13-17, 11:45 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
I use the Destination Search all the time—the voice commands are much easier. As a bonus, your destinations are also stored in the Previous Destinations screen.
Old 05-13-17, 12:06 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NXOwner
I use the Destination Search all the time—the voice commands are much easier. As a bonus, your destinations are also stored in the Previous Destinations screen.
Yup, that's what I do. Only drawback is I have a very "skinny" data plan, so I often store my destinations while I am still at home using the Wi-Fi to transmit the information from my phone to the NX.

(Just as an aside, our Audi navigation system goes online when we ask it too (again it would use too much data if it were online all the time), and we just say "Online Destination," and then tell it to look up a business, etc.....it does not need to remain online to navigate, but we usually use the Google Earth maps it provides by staying online).
Old 05-13-17, 12:07 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
+!

When I had my 2013 ES, I found that using the voice commands was so problematic that I gave up on trying to use voice commands. When the Enform Destination Search became available about 2 years ago, I thought I would give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that, not only did the app work very well with voice commands, but, also, the data base seemed to be much larger than the one in the in-car system, and it seemed to be able to find destinations that the in-car system failed to find. For two years, I've been recommending using the Enform app Destination Search to those who, on the ES board here, have not been pleased with using voice commands with the in-car system.

I'll also add that, with the Generation 9 navigation system on my 2017 ES, voice commands work much better than they did with the Generation 7 navigation system on the 2013 ES. Not only does the Generation 9 system understand what I'm saying, but it seems to be capable of understanding and reponding to a much wider range of commands. I would certainly hope that the 2018 NX gets the Generation 9 system.