NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

1 year anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 08:06 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 1 year anniversary

In a week or so, I will have had my NX for a full year. Overall, I"m really pleased with it, but there is 1 major issue that unless I can figure out how to fix, I'll change cars as soon as I can.

When I first got the NX, I noticed (and posted about) a cough or hesitation when going from an off throttle condition, to on throttle. It doesn't happen every time, but it will happen at least once or twice any time I drive the car more than a few miles. I initially thought it was me, because I was used to the annoying smoothness and drone of the CVT in my CT, but this isn't me. I've never had a 6 speed auto before, and maybe it's just slow deciding what gear it wants. I took it in at 5K miles, but I got the standard "unable to duplicate, no problem observed" answer that I always get when I need them to find an issue. In their defense, it is sporadic and difficult to reproduce on demand, however.

At this point, I'll give them one more chance to fix it before I give up and replace the car with something else. It is virtually impossible for me to drive this car smoothly, which drives me crazy and makes my wife car sick with the jerking around. Yes, it can be that bad. I figure I can adapt to almost anything, but this one has me stumped.

Has anyone else noticed this with their NX? If so, did it ever go away?
Old 06-21-17, 12:37 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Many of the drive train issues in the Turbo NX are overcome by placing it into Sport mode.There is a much more linear throttle response. Sport + is even better if you have it.
In normal or eco mode, the initial throttle response is dampened for fuel economy. In conjunction with the turbo lag I find the power can then come on unexpectedly.
It can't compare to the smoothness of a CT as the CVT and relatively low power make any jerky acceleration impossible.
Old 06-21-17, 04:13 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't think I've experienced this issue with mine.
Old 06-21-17, 04:18 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Many of the drive train issues in the Turbo NX are overcome by placing it into Sport mode.There is a much more linear throttle response. Sport + is even better if you have it.
In normal or eco mode, the initial throttle response is dampened for fuel economy. In conjunction with the turbo lag I find the power can then come on unexpectedly.
It can't compare to the smoothness of a CT as the CVT and relatively low power make any jerky acceleration impossible.
I agree with this thinking. I really notice the difference between Normal and Sport+ mode, I actually have never used Sport. I just feel the vehicle is more responsive in Sport+
Old 06-22-17, 08:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

woodrow, I think you're familiar with the turbo lag and hesitation which I won't emphasize, though I agree with the above posts that it is somewhat mitigated driving in the Sport setting.

However, when I had the NX, there was a fairly consistent scenario that added further unsettling hesitation. It's when applying heavy throttle on a turn (also from an off throttle position). What happens is the traction/stability systems are so aggressive that they cut power as it senses a risk in loss of traction. It then suddenly releases its hold in one or two "bursts" giving a less than smooth power delivery as you are exiting the corner. Of course, this has put me in a couple of close calls where I needed power to beat oncoming traffic and just came out ahead with some horns blowing my way. I found that driving in Manual, downshifting into the corner, (and Sport mode) helped deliver the power much closer to my expectations.

Another thing worth looking into is the Apexi Throttle Controller. I added it to my RC F and has significantly improved throttle response (yes, even on a big V8! ). Someone in the NX forum added it too and has stated improvement in response/reduction in lag. For $200, it might be worth a last attempt to re-ignite the spark (pun intended).

Good luck!
Old 06-23-17, 09:39 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
Unfortunately here in the US, lexus shafted us this option (S+)

Yes, put it in sport mode and it will take away the hesitation.

Historically, it's the drive-by-wire system more so than the turbo lag.
It's been present in the lexus cars b/c this complaint has been as early when I had my 99 GS300.

The best bet is to drive any NX and compare it.
Old 06-23-17, 09:51 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
woodrow, I think you're familiar with the turbo lag and hesitation which I won't emphasize, though I agree with the above posts that it is somewhat mitigated driving in the Sport setting.

However, when I had the NX, there was a fairly consistent scenario that added further unsettling hesitation. It's when applying heavy throttle on a turn (also from an off throttle position). What happens is the traction/stability systems are so aggressive that they cut power as it senses a risk in loss of traction. It then suddenly releases its hold in one or two "bursts" giving a less than smooth power delivery as you are exiting the corner. Of course, this has put me in a couple of close calls where I needed power to beat oncoming traffic and just came out ahead with some horns blowing my way. I found that driving in Manual, downshifting into the corner, (and Sport mode) helped deliver the power much closer to my expectations.

Another thing worth looking into is the Apexi Throttle Controller. I added it to my RC F and has significantly improved throttle response (yes, even on a big V8! ). Someone in the NX forum added it too and has stated improvement in response/reduction in lag. For $200, it might be worth a last attempt to re-ignite the spark (pun intended).

Good luck!
Thank you! It's a good thought. Sport mode does help, but it's still there and I don't like driving in Sport all the time. Personal preference. I have little doubt that what I'm experiencing is a computer issue. I just don't know if it's fuel mapping, or transmission. I still notice it, but have gotten more used to it over time, so it's not something I worry (or even think) about except when it happens. It just seems weird to me. I keep thinking if everyone's car did this, we would hear a lot more complaints. I'm sure of it. So that means it could just be my car, which means it should be fixable. Unfortunately, I feel like I have to tell them what's wrong, because they don't seem to look very hard.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-23-17, 10:03 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Unfortunately here in the US, lexus shafted us this option (S+)

Yes, put it in sport mode and it will take away the hesitation.

Historically, it's the drive-by-wire system more so than the turbo lag.
It's been present in the lexus cars b/c this complaint has been as early when I had my 99 GS300.

The best bet is to drive any NX and compare it.
i had forgotten about the drive by wire! I've read about response issues because of it, but had not considered that as a possible cause. I will now! Thank you!

Last edited by User 41924; 06-23-17 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 07:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Woodrow, did you try disconnecting the battery to reset the learning behavior of the tranny? Might be worth a shot.
Old 06-23-17, 07:40 PM
User 41924
Instructor

I was thinking I would ask them to re flash the computer, which would reset the learning process and add the most recent update.