NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Cracked Windshield from RearView Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 08:29 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hiya83
Thanks for all the replies everyone. To answer a previous question, yes the crack is directly beneath the mirror mount, smack in the middle.

An update: we actually went to a 2nd dealer, who will have it covered and will fix it, without even the slightest hassle (the wife and I were preparing for an uphill battle); the appointment is already set for next Tuesday. So needless to say, we are going to file complaint for the first dealer once everything is done; it's surprising considering we actually purchased the car from the first dealer... will keep this posted
who's the first dealer? And who's the second?
Old 08-03-17, 11:59 AM
hiya83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First dealer = Putnam Lexus
Second dealer = Steven's Creek Lexus
Old 08-04-17, 02:05 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

thanks, we bought our 2015 IS from Putnam, but service at Serramonte. Got the NX from Serramonte.

Will stay away from Putnam for the next purchase.
Old 08-04-17, 09:47 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Must be nice to have so many Lexus dealers in the Bay Area to choose from.

We've only got one in the Portland, Oregon area (Kuni Lexus), but they are excellent in all respects. The F-Sport is my third purchase from them and I go back to them regularly for service....and the fruit, pastries, coffee and chocolates, etc.....
Old 06-08-20, 12:36 PM
obsessed
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with no1SomeGuy. The mirror should break long before the windshield. The mirrors are DESIGNED to breakaway upon impact.
Totally bogus dealer/Lexus interpretation. I just had my entire interior replaced on my 13 y.o. 2007 LS under a customer satisfaction program but I had to go through multiple levels of appeal before I wrote to the CEO of Lexus USA and it was approved. Perseverance Pays. It was a $6,000+ job.
Old 06-09-20, 06:19 AM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are forgetting one thing (the MOST IMPORTANT thing)! They are all CAR DEALERS, and as such, are first and foremost Shysters and Schemers! They are out to get as much of your money at the least cost to them, ALL THE TIME!! Their first reflexive response is "Oh, NO, Not us!!!! They lie so much they wouldn't recognize the truth if it bit them on the ***! Just don't EVER think they are your friend!! They will sell you down the river as quick as listen to you!
You owe these guys NOTHING! Do whatever you must to get what you are entitled to! You have already paid dearly for what you have gotten from them. You owe these guys NOTHING!!!!
Deal with Corporate, if you can. They, at least, want to satisfy you and keep you as a customer because they it doesn't cost them anything DIRECTLY.
Old 06-09-20, 09:10 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybarbara
You guys are forgetting one thing (the MOST IMPORTANT thing)! They are all CAR DEALERS, and as such, are first and foremost Shysters and Schemers! They are out to get as much of your money at the least cost to them, ALL THE TIME!! Their first reflexive response is "Oh, NO, Not us!!!! They lie so much they wouldn't recognize the truth if it bit them on the ***! Just don't EVER think they are your friend!! They will sell you down the river as quick as listen to you!
You owe these guys NOTHING! Do whatever you must to get what you are entitled to! You have already paid dearly for what you have gotten from them. You owe these guys NOTHING!!!!
Deal with Corporate, if you can. They, at least, want to satisfy you and keep you as a customer because they it doesn't cost them anything DIRECTLY.
How do you really feel? I might remind everyone, this is a three year old thread and I am reasonably sure it has been long since resolved.
Old 06-09-20, 09:23 AM
obsessed
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybarbara
***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Cool your jets, Jay You will never get any cooperation from dealers if you approach them with a hostile, confrontational attitude. Calm, professional and friendly wins the day. I agree with TechNut that the problem on this thread has probably been resolved one way or the other but the advice applies to ALL threads.
The following users liked this post:
TechNut (06-09-20)
Old 06-10-20, 07:00 AM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the mottos I learned from Dear Old Mom is "Nice guys finish LAST".
Smiling sweetly is a sure way to get absolutely NOTHING!
There is NO reason to be "friendly" to an auto dealer. That's not a part of any "deal"! He's out to screw you. PERIOD!

But, don't want to start an argument, so I'll defer to you.
Have a nice day!!
Old 06-18-20, 01:16 PM
ALamb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happened to me too!!!!

I am so glad I found this post! This just happened to me too! Rear view mirror just fell off leaving a cracked windshield right under the attachment site. The epoxy at the joint even pulled off some of the glass, so it was certainly a fault in the glass itself. Dealer did not think it would be approved under warranty repair, and immediately claimed the windshield had been struck from the outside. What are the odds it would impact right at the rearview mirror! Anyway, absolutely nothing hit the outside -- perfectly smooth, crack entirely on the inside. We weren't even traveling fast when it just fell off!
Glad to have proof another Lexus dealer fixed it under warranty in case my dealer balks.
Please if there are additional drivers this has happened to, let me know your experience (especially in San Diego)!

Originally Posted by hiya83

See spider web crack smack in the middle of the rear view mirror attachment.