NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus maintenance package, which one should get or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-17, 10:42 PM
manyin0101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus maintenance package, which one should get or not?

Just recently got Lexus NX200t.
Has like 2 days before pick up, and wonder which maintenance package should get.
I saw couple post already. Personally, I am not a believer in the general maintenance package.
I am thinking the windshield 1500 and the door to door package (anything hit from door open scratch dent on the car or shopping chart. something like that) Lift time warranty 750$.
Tire wheel package, do not know.
Please advise me, should i get or not , which one or what?
Old 08-06-17, 05:38 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Any dealer add-ons, including pre-paid maintenance packages, scratch and dent packages, wheel and tire packages, extended warranties, dealer installed options, exterior or interior protection packages, etc. are likely to be nothing more than huge profit generators for the dealership. The mark-ups on those packages/options can typically be in the range of several hundred percent. If a dealer can convince you to buy a few of those options, that dealer can can give you a huge discount off of MSRP on the car and still make a greater profit than it could from a buyer who bought none of those packages/options and who paid MSRP.

If you add up the cost of all of the add-ons that the dealer offers to you and if you take that money and put it into an "emergency savings account" instead of buying the options, by the time you sell/trade the car, you will likely be ahead by thousands of dollars.

The only dealer add-on that is worth considering is paint protection film, but only if the dealer is willing to discount it from their advertised price by 50% or more to bring the price into a range that is competitive with other shops in your area. If the paint protection film is something that you would want anyway and if the dealer is willing to reduce the price to a fraction of its advertised price, getting it done by the dealer might be more convenient than getting it done elsewhere.
The following users liked this post:
WhatYaGot (09-02-17)
Old 08-06-17, 08:03 AM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Which one?

None.

For the reasons outlined in lesz's post.

In my 50k plus miles of driving, I've paid for 3 oil changes...at intervals 20k, 40k, and 50k. Also, I paid for the 30k miles service package for about $600. In total, I paid about $800 in maintenance.

I really regret getting the 30k service package. In hindsight it was a real waste of money. They did nothing but check and look over the car and change the air filters. I could have changed the air filters myself.

I believe that most well built cars don't need a major tune up or service til 60k. You should only do oil changes and tire rotations til then.

Also remember that the oil change you get comes with a number of inspections and routine maintenance that they include for free.
Old 08-06-17, 09:23 AM
manyin0101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good.
What is the paint protection is about?
3M?
so windshield and dent package the dealership will give 50% off on.
So, should i?
Old 08-06-17, 01:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by manyin0101
Sounds good.
What is the paint protection is about?
3M?
so windshield and dent package the dealership will give 50% off on.
So, should i?
Your own comprehensive insurance covers windshield repairs and replacement. Many comprehensive policies don't even have a deductible, but, even if yours does have a deductible, it will still cover most of the cost of a windshield replacement.

As far as dent repairs, you would be better off finding out who the dealers in your area use for paintless dent repair. If you have a need for paintless dent repair, you will find that, if you go to the guys who do it directly, the cost of having them remove dents can be minimal. Over the years, I've built up a relationship with the people who do paintless dent repair in my area. When I've needed their work, I've had dents removed for as little as $20-25. Similarly, if I need interior repairs or wheel repairs and deal directly with the guys in the area that do that kind of work, the cost is minimal and much less than what I'd pay for any of the "protection plans" that the dealers offer.

Further, if you read the fine print for any of the protection plans plans that the dealer will offer you and when you see what is covered and what is excluded, you will see that you are going to pay a lot for very little in return. Even with a 50% discount from the advertised price, the dealer will still be making a very large profit if you buy any of those plans.

The paint protection film is made by a several manufacturers, and, yes, 3M is one of them. Most of the manufacturers have multiple grades of the film. One ot the things to look for is just what parts of the car are going to be covered. More basic coverage will include the front portion of the hood and, possibly, the bumper. More complete coverage will include the full hood, the full bumper, full front fenders, mirrors, door handle cups, etc.
Old 08-07-17, 10:27 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't get any of these packages. I suggested to my friend to not get them either. After getting the extended warranty initially, I will be cancelling it before it goes into effect to get the full refunded amount.
Old 08-07-17, 04:08 PM
Rdcrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the tire and wheel package which also included unlimited paint less dent repair and windshield coverage. It came out to a couple bucks a month and I had two tires get punctured on my previous car. Glad I got it because a few months into ownership I got a nail one of my tires. Dealer found it during 5k service and told me because it was so close to the sidewall they would have to replace the tire. They put a new tire on immediately after finding it.
Old 08-11-17, 11:04 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a difference between "protection" (as in warranty) and pre-paid maintenance. Pre-paid maintenance covers all regularly scheduled service for the specified period. In many cases, this is money you would have spent anyway at a Lexus dealership (assuming this is where you would go). The price I paid seemed to be less than I would have ended up paying at Lexus, and probably close to what I would have paid if I'd taken my car to Toyota, although the Lexus dealership near us has reduced its costs to be more in lone with Toyota since the dealerships are within 1.4 mile of each other.