NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Clunking noise in rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 07:23 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Clunking noise in rear suspension

I have a 2016 f-sport model. Over the past couple of months I have started to notice an infrequent loud clunking noise in the rear suspension when I make a turn over a bump. The noise is very loud and sounds like 2 pieces of metal hitting each other. I have also noticed squeaky noises in the rear suspension when the car is in driving in the dry conditions. The squeaking is quiet but is very annoying. Plan on taking the car to the dealer this weekend to check out but was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing?
Old 08-16-17, 09:50 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No noise from my suspension whatever, everything is tight.

Have you checked the tools, spare tire, jack, etc at the back to see if they are secured? Was there any repair work done to the back end or suspension?
Old 08-17-17, 05:11 AM
1halifax
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed a squeak coming from rear suspension as well. It doesn't make the sound all the time and I can only hear it when the windows are open. Keep us posted on what the dealer finds.
Old 08-17-17, 04:04 PM
jdt
Driver

[QUOTE=acheuk;9956565]No noise from my suspension whatever, everything is tight.

Have you checked the tools, spare tire, jack, etc at the back to see if they are secured? Was there any repair work done to the back end or suspension?[/QUOT

Everything is secure. No repair work done.....only thing which I suspect that causing the squeaky noises is the under coat spray but could be wrong.
The following users liked this post:
chuckGS350 (04-03-22)
Old 08-27-17, 10:46 AM
jdt
Driver

So I took the car to the dealer last week to have the issue checked out. They suspected some of the parts in the rear needed some lubrication as well as the break pads. Unfortunately, the car is still making noises. Here's a video I recorded in my garage while I was pushing down on the rear bumper. Will try to make another trip to the dealer this week.

Old 09-25-17, 01:32 PM
jdt
Driver

Just to update....the problem was that I got an aftermarket rust spray done about 2 years ago. Some of the spray apparently went onto the rubber bushings within the control arm causing them to become loose and scraping against the metal. Lexus dealer did not cover it under warranty due to the aftermarket spray so I decided to take it to my local mechanic. He took about the rear control arm and removed the bushings to clean them. No more annoying squeaks
Old 03-07-19, 06:26 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Originally Posted by jdt
I have a 2016 f-sport model. Over the past couple of months I have started to notice an infrequent loud clunking noise in the rear suspension when I make a turn over a bump. The noise is very loud and sounds like 2 pieces of metal hitting each other.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Have you ever figured out where the clunking was coming from?
Old 03-07-19, 06:30 PM
jdt
Driver

Originally Posted by acheuk
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Have you ever figured out where the clunking was coming from?
rust proofing got onto the bushings causing them to swell. Had a mechanic remove the rear control arm and clean the area really well.
Old 03-07-19, 06:34 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Originally Posted by jdt

rust proofing got onto the bushings causing them to swell. Had a mechanic remove the rear control arm and clean the area really well.
Thanks. I thought you had both a clunking noise and a squeaking noise, no?
Old 03-07-19, 06:44 PM
jdt
Driver

Thanks. I thought you had both a clunking noise and a squeaking noise, no?
the clunking was basically the metal parts of the control arm hitting each other due to the bushings swelling and being misaligned. Squeaking was also present if you watch the video I posted and that’s something that usually occurs when the bushings are bad. This was all from Krown rust proofing I had done on the car and the spray was oil based which is known to warp rubber bushings out of its shape.

I actually had the same squeaking noise in my front left bushing on the sway bar a year later but Lexus was kind enough to replace that bushing under warranty.

Not sure if you had rust proofing done on your Nx so can’t really say that’s what’s causing the noise. But word of advice....don’t rust proof unless it’s not oil based or the person is able to protect the rubber components and bushings with silicone based spray beforehand.
Old 03-07-19, 06:46 PM
acheuk
Rookie

I see. I had undercoating done when I bought it a few years ago. I don't have any squeak now but more like a clunk, sounds like something is loose.
Old 03-07-19, 06:51 PM
jdt
Driver

I see. I had undercoating done when I bought it a few years ago. I don't have any squeak now but more like a clunk, sounds like something is loose.
Undercoating is usually rubberized material so I don’t think it can cause bushings to swell. If it was done at Lexus they’ll take care of it. Just have them look into it.
Old 08-18-22, 01:23 PM
VegasRE
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2017 Lexus NX200t

After 40k, my Lexus NX started making noises in the back. The dealership said it was the Knuckle Hub bushings that needed replaced. After 40k ?? I can see after 75k to a 100k. $2000+ to repair ! Tells me not to buy another Lexus car in Vegas. Cheap faulty parts being used and Lexus knows this. They don't want to be responsible for a recall. Buy the extended insurance folks ! Because you're going to have this problem sooner or later.

Originally Posted by jdt
I have a 2016 f-sport model. Over the past couple of months I have started to notice an infrequent loud clunking noise in the rear suspension when I make a turn over a bump. The noise is very loud and sounds like 2 pieces of metal hitting each other. I have also noticed squeaky noises in the rear suspension when the car is in driving in the dry conditions. The squeaking is quiet but is very annoying. Plan on taking the car to the dealer this weekend to check out but was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing?
Old 08-18-22, 01:28 PM
VegasRE
3rd Gear

Yes, took our Lexus NX to the dealership and diagnostic showed the noise coming from arm carrier bushings. Hub knuckle bushings need replaced. $2000+ Lexus bushings will not last in hot states. Never this problem with my Toyotas. My last Lexus.
Old 08-18-22, 01:37 PM
VegasRE
3rd Gear

My 2017 NX 200t does the same.and dealership said it was the Hub knuckle bushings. They lubed it to put a bandaid on it but still sounds annoying. Doesn't affect the safety of the car but the annoying sound and $2000+ to replace the two arm carrier bushings is ridiculous at 40k miles. Definitely my last Lexus. Never had a problem like this with all my Toyotas.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise in rear suspension