NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2018 NX homelink won't pair

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 11:35 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 NX homelink won't pair

hey guys, I just got my 2018 NX today. I'm trying to pair homelink with a Craftsman opener, dated 1999 I think, with a red learn button and a white wire by every possible button combination possible. My previous IS worked fine. I've cleared the homelink, tried the transmitter way (universal "Clicker") and the learn method. Nothing. Could someone perhaps share with me what I could be doing wrong or what I need to do? I followed the instructions to the t in the manual, watched the vids on homelink website, nothing.

Thanks HS for the help
Old 12-17-17, 11:56 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I assume the process for getting one of the homelink buttons to learn the Craftsman remote looked to work fine? If so, when you try to get the opener to learn the homelink button, try doing a longer press of the homelink button. I've had that issue before (not the NX) where a quick button press wouldn't activate the opened. But a long press would.
Old 12-18-17, 12:11 AM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

No, the homelink didn't even learn the code yet. I have a Chamberlain universal clicker and I've held the damn button for the full duration that the orange light was blinking to no avail. I pressed the homelink button once and it flashed orange the whole time. Held down the remote at the mirror and nothing.

Tried the learn button method and no success. I'm stumped. New battery in the remote too
Old 12-18-17, 06:12 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanCi
hey guys, I just got my 2018 NX today. I'm trying to pair homelink with a Craftsman opener, dated 1999 I think, with a red learn button and a white wire by every possible button combination possible. My previous IS worked fine. I've cleared the homelink, tried the transmitter way (universal "Clicker") and the learn method. Nothing. Could someone perhaps share with me what I could be doing wrong or what I need to do? I followed the instructions to the t in the manual, watched the vids on homelink website, nothing.

Thanks HS for the help
My Lexus dealer had a tech person that walked me through the setup on the phone as I did it. Try calling your dealer.
Old 12-18-17, 11:03 AM
Momen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had same problem with my 2018 NX and a Chamberlain clicker - tried every way possible without any luck. Spoke to my dealer they are trying to get their tech guy to come out to my home to help me out.
Old 12-18-17, 12:16 PM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

don't know if this will help you specifically, but have you looked into getting the homelink bridge/repeater? It allows the original rolling code signal to be boosted and make it easier for the homelink in your car to read it and program
Old 12-18-17, 12:27 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

other thing, can you borrow another clicker that happens to be compatible with your opener then see if the homelink can learn that one? Then you have the opener pair with the homelink.
Old 12-18-17, 12:30 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LOLjasonW
don't know if this will help you specifically, but have you looked into getting the homelink bridge/repeater? It allows the original rolling code signal to be boosted and make it easier for the homelink in your car to read it and program
homelink rep said the repeater was for older cars and newer openers.

But the rep was adamant that the homelink button had to be held down simultaneously with the opener and not simply pushed and released as the car manual states. It's driving me nuts.
Old 12-18-17, 12:42 PM
Momen
Driver School Candidate

The homelink web site specifically states that the homelink button had to be held down simultaneously with the opener - I tried that - but it did not work.
Old 12-18-17, 01:02 PM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanCi
homelink rep said the repeater was for older cars and newer openers.

But the rep was adamant that the homelink button had to be held down simultaneously with the opener and not simply pushed and released as the car manual states. It's driving me nuts.
true, but i have used it for older garage openers/motors and 2017 models
Old 12-18-17, 01:46 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 649 Posts

While the original 1999 Craftsman remote would have transmitted continuously when
the button is pressed the newer Chamberlain may just emit a short blast to save the
battery. Try training the car again but cycle the remote button repeatedly and see if
you can "accumulate" enough signal to set the code.

Additional clarification is need regarding the NX's HomeLink procedure. Our older
Lexi had a single red light that flashed 1) slowly if the channel was clear, 2) quickly if
there was a rolling code successfully trained and 3) solid if an old non-rolling code was
in there. This generation of HL required the car button to be pressed throughout the
transfer process.

The OP's NX (and other new Lexi) have a 1) orange light when the coast is
clear and 2) blinking green when a code is present. These now only respond
to a single touch that starts the 30 second window and shows the orange light.
When it changes to flashing green you are ready for climbing the ladder to
press the "Learn" button. Let's not get started on how many colors, shapes, locations
and types of screws and flimsy clips it takes to get to those gems...
Old 12-18-17, 01:58 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
While the original 1999 Craftsman remote would have transmitted continuously when
the button is pressed the newer Chamberlain may just emit a short blast to save the
battery. Try training the car again but cycle the remote button repeatedly and see if
you can "accumulate" enough signal to set the code.

Additional clarification is need regarding the NX's HomeLink procedure. Our older
Lexi had a single red light that flashed 1) slowly if the channel was clear, 2) quickly if
there was a rolling code successfully trained and 3) solid if an old non-rolling code was
in there. This generation of HL required the car button to be pressed throughout the
transfer process.

The OP's NX (and other new Lexi) have a 1) orange light when the coast is
clear and 2) blinking green when a code is present. These now only respond
to a single touch that starts the 30 second window and shows the orange light.
When it changes to flashing green you are ready for climbing the ladder to
press the "Learn" button. Let's not get started on how many colors, shapes, locations
and types of screws and flimsy clips it takes to get to those gems...
are you suggesting that I press the HL button once to activate the flashing slow orange and repeatedly press the universal Chamberlain clicker? My opener was made 1/00, if that makes a difference.
Old 12-18-17, 03:05 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 649 Posts

Exactly right, good luck.
Old 12-18-17, 07:04 PM
Momen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - tried it and it worked - took a long time though.
Old 12-18-17, 07:13 PM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so I got it to work, but the manual's way. Cleared the codes, pressed the button once, and then used a second remote with a fresh battery (same situation with the first one) and held the remotes button to the HL, and voila! It worked.

Quick Reply: 2018 NX homelink won't pair