NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Winter driving issues and possible solutions (BASE MODEL) 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 05:58 AM
Lazerboy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter driving issues and possible solutions (BASE MODEL) 2015

Hello there, yes, i'm back with more COMPLAINTS and a couple of tips for your guys to enjoy your snowy trips

Here are my driving tips for the NX from Quebec to Gaspesie, that is a 8hours drive in cold winter snowy weather.

Just to let you know, its been a constant -27c here for many weeks with heavy to light snow road conditions.

Here is my 2 cents:

THE ANNOYANCES:

The BACKUP camera!!!! Its always dirty when you need it, its completly useless when backing up! Its the worse place you can put a camera. Even tough you clean it at every pit stop, the lens is always blurry from the the dirt accumulation.

I fix this issue by putting a second camera INSIDE the car cabin just under the break light but not for Lexus. It was for my old Honda CRV with a third party camera kit and work great as you can use your wiper to clean the window when dirt is present. Anyways... another design issue!

Another but similar issue are the 6 parking assist sensors....they should have a way to clean them, like using a heated water spray for the wipers ...i'm sure they are many solutions.

Another thing is the dash cracking noise when hitting small road bumps... when at -27c, you hit a bump, the dash has cracking sounds ...why you say? because the frame is so cheap (not reinforced) that it bends the a cheap car as a sponge does and make the hard plastic dash move and make cracking noise as its harder in cold weather.
I would buy frame reinforcements for that issue.

The OEM wipers are NOISY like freddy screeching on the black board with his metal nails! Change them if you can and make sure they are noiseless!

When opening the side door slowly, they vent in all the snow from the root top! Yes, you can clean your roof before hand but beleive me, having snow on your seats and floor is something you want to consider! This is because the roof does not have gutters, they drop water and snow directly in the car when doors open!

The GOOD stuff:

I bought some brand new NEXEN 17" tires with RIMS and generic sensors and they are the best for ICE and SNOW! they worked flawlessly, I was not sure as I never hear of those Tire brand names but I recommend them 100%.NOTE: the generic sensor do not show the numeric value of the tires, just Green or RED (not knowing the exact trigger pressure)

I don't know why but the moon roof or mirror never gets dirty in all observed condition!

The 4x4 switch is a decoration for me, I never used it as the 4 wheels traction kick in automatically when stuck in high snow.

The front bumper is elevated and angled , this is great when punching thru heavy snow! I would suggest putting a extra metal protection plate to protect against solid ICE debris as they scrape under your car.

Lift gate work great with snow accumulation on it.

Stay tuned.