NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

This could be the NX killer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 05:11 PM
Floorance
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
NX and RAV4 look pretty different to me.
Exactly, its been said they don't even share 90% of the parts. Its preproduction, the panoramic roof and HUD might not even make it to North America. Personally after the iconic cars like the Legend, NSX, Integra, and a few hits, the rest of their lineup have been subpar and their styling an overall downward trajectory. (ZDX, TL, CL, ILX, Entire RL line to name a few). Just because we can't get these options in NA doesn't mean they don't exists or didn't consider it. It's like cars companies having less and less Manual transmissions as an option anymore. Can car manufacturers do it? Sure, but as a business decision its doesn't make sense, the demand is too small or its too costly. Unless Lexus would like to share their business reasons for not including it as an option in NA, it is what it is. Options don't make the car, go watch the Chevy Equinox Commercial "Add it up", I still rather have a NX. The NX is an entry level luxury crossover priced $35-$50K. To put it in perspective a Porche Macan might start at $48K, but you truly can customize it anyway you want and it tops $110K. I'm not saying its not a bummer not to have it or the "option" of even paying for it. Instead of asking Lexus to "wake up" we should be asking why not? I'm still perplexed why Lexus didn't offer to sell the same accessories especially the rear cargo liner that extends to the back of the rear seats. Go figure.
Old 01-19-18, 03:58 PM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The center dash and grill are so fugly.
Old 01-19-18, 08:58 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been a big Acura fan prior my current LX. Had a 05 TSX and 2010 TL 6MT. The TSX was very well built, made in Japan; rock solid reliable, totally regret trading in it. The TL was a different story. It needed to have a new engine due to excessive oil consumption and the transmission was rebuilt during its first 35k miles. After needing the new engine I had enough and traded the TL in for the LX.

The new Acura's do not have the same quality or reliability as the older ones, esp ones that were built in Japan IMHO. The 3.7L V6 has issues with excessive oil consumption, and Acura's new ZF transmission (at least to my knowledge) is shared with Chrysler and Jeep, and is trouble prone with shifting. I believe the TLX V6 and MDX uses this ZF tranny, and Consumer Reports has given these models not so hot reliability ratings.

If the 2019 RDX indeed has a new 10 speed tranny I would be very weary of reliability. Agreed the 2019 RDX looks to be a big improvement on its predecessor and NX worthy and is worth keeping an eye on, but I would not buy the 1st or 2nd year release. Until it shows itself to be reliable, I would stick with Lexus/Toyota.
Old 01-19-18, 10:02 PM
ravim
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyota choose to put a 6 speed in the nx and I trust their decision. More gears are all the rage right now. What I have read is that there will be modest improvements in mpg under certain conditions at the expense of ride quality elsewhere. Read some reviews for Honda Pilot. The higher trim levels have a 9 speed transmission that reviewers do not like.

Last edited by ravim; 01-20-18 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 03:59 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,142 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
I've been a big Acura fan prior my current LX. Had a 05 TSX and 2010 TL 6MT. The TSX was very well built, made in Japan; rock solid reliable, totally regret trading in it. The TL was a different story. It needed to have a new engine due to excessive oil consumption and the transmission was rebuilt during its first 35k miles. After needing the new engine I had enough and traded the TL in for the LX.

The new Acura's do not have the same quality or reliability as the older ones, esp ones that were built in Japan IMHO. The 3.7L V6 has issues with excessive oil consumption, and Acura's new ZF transmission (at least to my knowledge) is shared with Chrysler and Jeep, and is trouble prone with shifting. I believe the TLX V6 and MDX uses this ZF tranny, and Consumer Reports has given these models not so hot reliability ratings.

If the 2019 RDX indeed has a new 10 speed tranny I would be very weary of reliability. Agreed the 2019 RDX looks to be a big improvement on its predecessor and NX worthy and is worth keeping an eye on, but I would not buy the 1st or 2nd year release. Until it shows itself to be reliable, I would stick with Lexus/Toyota.
Agree totally about Acura sedans. I drove RL's and TL's for over 150,000 miles with not one problem with 2010 and prior years. J D Power use to have them in the top five every year in reliability. Something changed starting around 2011 models and newer with their sedans. Transmissions were the main defect. The MDX and RDX have always been rated high for reliability. Consumer Reports rates the RDX as one of the most reliable vehicles. J D Power rates the RDX second in reliability in it's category. Realizing taste are subjective IMO there is no comparison of the interior, options and exterior of the NX and new RDX. In the RDX as they have stated if it looks like leather it is leather and not nuluxe. The NX's wood accents are real wood. It's metal is real metal. Android auto and Apply play is available and not on the NX. I had SHAWD in two RL's and it is worlds apart from just all wheel drive. As I previously stated a luxury vehicle and Lexus is not giving us in the States options for HUD and a panoramic roof. If this comes in price wise competitively with the NX it will significantly hurt sales. Take a few minutes and watch the video.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...tag=CAD590a51e
Old 01-20-18, 05:00 AM
Floorance
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched the video, he was speaking a good game then he crashed back down to earth to why most people i think won't gravitate to it, the dreaded "Diamond Pentagon Grill". Only time will tell with the new RDX. Most importantly is how much is all this going to costs, this things screams expensive. If its hitting north of 50K, most people will look elsewhere, if it stays priced similar to the current RDX then that would be interesting.
Old 01-20-18, 05:38 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,142 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorance
Watched the video, he was speaking a good game then he crashed back down to earth to why most people i think won't gravitate to it, the dreaded "Diamond Pentagon Grill". Only time will tell with the new RDX. Most importantly is how much is all this going to costs, this things screams expensive. If its hitting north of 50K, most people will look elsewhere, if it stays priced similar to the current RDX then that would be interesting.
Totally agree with price. A 2018 with every package and AWD list for $44,200. A NX fully loaded list at $45,670. Panoramic roof is standard and with SH AWD by guess it will come in around $47,000 loaded. The hybrid option on the MDX is a $1,500 addition with seems like a no brainer. With the hybrid, HUD and SH AWD if this comes in under $50,000 will be a huge winner. A fully loaded MDX hybrid list at $58,000 so have to imagine the RDX will come in well under $50,000.

Last edited by Freds430; 01-20-18 at 06:04 AM.