NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 06:17 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
So I take it that this update is not compatible with 2015 cars?
Depending on the Lexus model, cars before the last couple of model years came with the original Enform. This update only applies to (some) Lexus vehicles with Enform 2.0. So, the update in not compatible with a 2015 NX.
Old 05-10-19, 07:44 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alexa Support

Something doesn’t make sense here. According to Lexus this update should have added Alexa support now to the 2018 NX300 and it didn’t.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/10409

Mike
Old 05-10-19, 07:49 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by loudsand33
For the most part, CarPlay is working well. Has anyone else encountered an issue when using "Hey Siri" and the centre gauge in the instrument panel getting stuck on the muted microphone symbol? The voice command works, but the centre gauge doesn't switch back to the panel (eg speedometer) after the voice command is acknowledge and processed. The return button on the steering wheel doesn't work either. I've only been able to fix it by engaging the Lexus voice command prompt then closing it on the screen... which works until the next use of Siri.

Yes I see the same issue and it’ll probably take Lexus forever to fix it hopefully not. There are so many things that could be made better for example the CarPlay menu should auto hide so that you can get a full screen experience and auto unhide with a touch of the touch pad. Also you should be able to use a touch pad pinch to zoom on any map application. Just a few ideas.

Mike
Old 05-10-19, 08:00 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nigel821
Makes you wonder if scare tactics work so that they can charge? Has anyone gone to the actual dealer and asked for this update? If so did they try to charge for it? I know it "should" be free but I can definitively see dealers trying to charge the $199 MSRP, then when someone complains as an "act of kindness" charge half of that because they still want to make a buck...

Also isn't it funny how we are risking serious damage when the dealer is installing the update same way via the instructions that are on the toyota site... If the dealer bricks the headunit they replace as per the instructions...lol Totally get the potential for bricking something but at the same time, I don't think it's as dire as they make it out to be. This is coming from someone that has always rooted their phones, updated other car system, upgrades IT equipment worth many many times over what this head unit costs and normally is more of a complicated process.. The directions seem rather straight forward to me. Use a quality thumb drive that is properly formatted and has the correct files in the root directory. The car does the rest.. then reinstall the owners manual if need be. On a scale of 1-10 for hardness this definitely looks like a 1.5 to me.

-Nigel
Not surprised by this and yes it can damage the head unit which would be expensive to replace. Dealers have resources we don’t have if the update damages the head unit they would need to replace it at their cost. This is a massive update which takes about an hour to install. My only regrets are paying $65 for this and not waiting on the free links here. However I’m a risk taker and well experienced. I would probably not recommend this to the average Joe but an experienced person who reads the instructions and is patient should have no issues. By the way you can drive your car while the update is installing just don’t shut it down!

Mike
Old 05-10-19, 09:16 AM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mikenj
Something doesn’t make sense here. According to Lexus this update should have added Alexa support now to the 2018 NX300 and it didn’t.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/10409

Mike
Same boat here android user, upgrade to this just to test Alexa.

Cant even find the lexus+alexa app in the Canadian play store had to download the apk from a third party website.
Old 05-11-19, 06:42 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Default GPS speaker volume

It seems Carplay uses the dedicated GPS speaker in the NX300 but does anybody know of an easy way to control the volume? The Carplay GPS apps don’t offer an adjustable volume you can only mute or un-mute. As a result GPS volume is low and when you are using a music app such as pandora and adjust the audio volume it only affects Pandora since it uses the other speakers in the car. I want both volumes to be independent which is good but I also want full control over both.

Mike
Old 05-11-19, 06:52 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mikenj
It seems Carplay uses the dedicated GPS speaker in the NX300 but does anybody know of an easy way to control the volume? The Carplay GPS apps don’t offer an adjustable volume you can only mute or un-mute. As a result GPS volume is low and when you are using a music app such as pandora and adjust the audio volume it only affects Pandora since it uses the other speakers in the car. I want both volumes to be independent which is good but I also want full control over both.

Mike
Have you tried the volume on your phone?
Old 05-11-19, 11:39 AM
Rukes
Driver School Candidate

Disappointed with how Lexus is ripping people off with a software update that you can technically do yourself just like past updates.

My actual dealership in LA wanted to charge $199 for the USB, and only will charge 1 hour labor for another $199 hinting they were going to normally charge for two hours labor at double the price.. Not gonna pay $400 for an update 😂 Called another dealership near me and they quoted me only $350 and I even asked if they would bring it down to $199 flat even if i switched to their dealership and they said no.

Whelp, looks like i’m going to do this myself too.

Last edited by Rukes; 05-11-19 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 01:13 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rukes
Disappointed with how Lexus is ripping people off with a software update that you can technically do yourself just like past updates.

My actual dealership in LA wanted to charge $199 for the USB, and only will charge 1 hour labor for another $199 hinting they were going to normally charge for two hours labor at double the price.. Not gonna pay $400 for an update 😂 Called another dealership near me and they quoted me only $350 and I even asked if they would bring it down to $199 flat even if i switched to their dealership and they said no.

Whelp, looks like i’m going to do this myself too.
$400? Wow. It’s $199 MSRP and they want to charge you double?
Old 05-11-19, 09:17 PM
Fjaw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

link taken down?
Old 05-12-19, 06:58 AM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

looks like mod removed the link.
Old 05-12-19, 09:53 AM
kubakj
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am now just waiting for Alexa for iPhone as I use it a lot at home and my kids as well.

Wonder why it takes so long to do it for iPhone?
Old 05-12-19, 11:24 AM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Updated my 18 NX today. Thank you for the files was very straightforward. Used an Adata Pro S102 USB 3.0 32GB flash drive. I did have a minor heart attack though. After the blue update is complete screen, the unit started boot looping after the caution while driving message appears, but it stopped on its own.
Old 05-12-19, 12:27 PM
JermSJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can somebody who still have link please post it again or send it to me via pm? I was planning to do it this weekend but its unfortunate that it got taken down..
The following users liked this post:
Lexus550 (05-23-19)
Old 05-12-19, 02:58 PM
lexus4562
Driver School Candidate

I would like to try doing the update myself instead of paying the dealer hundreds of dollars. If someone still has the file or the link, can you please send it over to me? Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay